On native effects in Renoise

do you?! i always use it on kicks/snares, its great

Yeah, the metering has been wrong for ages (although apparently that that is fixed) and I never really understood why the attack doesn’t go longer than it does. Maybe I should give it another chance though.

Got around to demoing the beta a little at last, the new effects in 3.1 are legit. With these improvements I have to say the lineup of stock effects is very strong, better than a lot of more expensive DAWs.

Got around to demoing the beta a little at last, the new effects in 3.1 are legit. With these improvements I have to say the lineup of stock effects is very strong, better than a lot of more expensive DAWs.

For example?
I love Renoise (to the bones) but i dont know any big DAW that hasnt got better compressor, eq or reverb :-).

I tend to use Bus Compressor all the time instead of the Compressor, don’t really have any delay compensation issues even when doing elaborate parallel stuff. My goal is usually to just make something snap really hard. I’m not afraid to use it a bunch of times in the instrument effects, in the tracks, the groups, and the master all at once. The EQ is adequate for tweaks, but the reverb is a weird one. The reverb is often harsh and metallic, you have to tame it. It can sound great you just have to send it the right signal, do a send and play with filters to manipulate what you’re feeding it. Also stick to one sample rate because reverb behavior will change if you switch it.

I’ve had PSP, Sonnox, DMG, all that stuff. I don’t miss any of it.

For example?
I love Renoise (to the bones) but i dont know any big DAW that hasnt got better compressor, eq or reverb :-).

The compressors are a weak point, but I don’t see the Renoise EQs as being inferior, I use EQ5/10 all the time and they do exactly what they’re supposed to. Not a character EQ but then a host native EQ shouldn’t be. Algorithmic reverb in Renoise isn’t the best but Convolver can sound like anything…though admittedly I use mpReverb the most anyway, I like tweaking sliders as opposed to searching for the right impulse

FL and Reason are two I’ve used that I would take Renoise’s stock effects over, a few others that I’ve used the demos and didn’t think they were markedly better but FL especially being the other program I’ve spent the most time with.

The compressors are a weak point, but I don’t see the Renoise EQs as being inferior, I use EQ5/10 all the time and they do exactly what they’re supposed to. Not a character EQ but then a host native EQ shouldn’t be. Algorithmic reverb in Renoise isn’t the best but Convolver can sound like anything…though admittedly I use mpReverb the most anyway, I like tweaking sliders as opposed to searching for the right impulse

FL and Reason are two I’ve used that I would take Renoise’s stock effects over, a few others that I’ve used the demos and didn’t think they were markedly better but FL especially being the other program I’ve spent the most time with.

Yeah, but it is the last daw that has EQ without spectrum meter
zooming, dry/wet and band transposing are also common functions.

But i am happy that renoise is not bloated with big and cpu heavy effects.

all the native effect are cool

but renoise need a better reverb and a multiband wavefolder non linear distortion

i love the cabinet stuff.
eqs are great. no need for external vsts for eq for me (im a dmg eq fan)
in general renoise’s fx makes great noise here when needed!

There’s also a degree of future proofing involved there, sometimes plugins just disappear from the web or become too out of date and buggy, using host effects is safer by comparison. I use VSTs but I’ve become more and more sparing with them for these reasons, lots of old projects that don’t load properly and then I have to rework them with newer effects, and if I wanted to share an xrns I wouldn’t want any VST dependency at all.

Thats’s true, but only to a certain degree. Native DSPs also change over time. The Renoise team keeps the old ones for compatibility with legacy modules, and non-xml rns are still somewhat supported, but last time I tried opening some of my old modules they didn’t sound quite right. Even when using only samples and built-in DSPs. Admittedly, some of my tracks a were made a while ago, since I’ve been using Renoise from around v 1.02 if I recall correctly, and the fact that Renoise is able to open them at all is impressive. But I still wouldn’t push them forward without some serious reworking. It’s also hard to tell for how long the Renoise team will find it feasible to preserve compatibility with legacy rns.

In my experience, the only way to future proof your work is to finish them and keep the rendered waves. Wave is the one format that doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.

Thats’s true, but only to a certain degree. Native DSPs also change over time. The Renoise team keeps the old ones for compatibility with legacy modules, and non-xml rns are still somewhat supported, but last time I tried opening some of my old modules they didn’t sound quite right. Even when using only samples and built-in DSPs. Admittedly, some of my tracks a were made a while ago, since I’ve been using Renoise from around v 1.02 if I recall correctly, and the fact that Renoise is able to open them at all is impressive. But I still wouldn’t push them forward without some serious reworking. It’s also hard to tell for how long the Renoise team will find it feasible to preserve compatibility with legacy rns.
In my experience, the only way to future proof your work is to finish them and keep the rendered waves. Wave is the one format that doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.

I have allways rendered stems to wav and think it is a good way to future proof as you said and also back up.
Being fairly new to renoise, I hope rendering stems isn’t too difficult as I haven’t got that far yet.

Your millage may vary. I love chorus, flanger and phaser for their glitchy sound. Distortion is ok, I tend to use Razor model most of the time. Is it simple? Sure. Most of the time that is what I want.

I dislike mpReverb, sounds flat and dull. Reverb sounds nice in some settings but it’s not very universal if you ask me.

Redux introduced some nice sounding filters, haven’t tried newest Renoise beta, but it seems like effects from Redux are being shipped in it.

Currently trying to do as much as possible using native effects, rendering any used vst’s inside the samples as I’m looking to use Renoise live next year. Have never crashed the program using native effects.

Currently trying to do as much as possible using native effects, rendering any used vst’s inside the samples as I’m looking to use Renoise live next year. Have never crashed the program using native effects.

Do you mind me asking how you are planning to use Renoise live? If you prefer to keep that private, I understand too.
I ask as I am looking at possibilities of using it live, I have come from using Abelton and found that to be a little too “safe” as I really prefer to push myself when performing. Before that I used an Mc303 and a few guitar pedals and it was pretty much all live. That required a little more work and I wasn’t immune to mistakes, which I think it being a little difficult, made it more enjoyable.
As far as I know (being a bit of a renoob) multiple instances of renoise and duplex etc. are ways to play live, though I haven’t really looked into them much.

…how you are planning to use Renoise live?

Basically remix, re-arrange & effect existing songfiles, not build something from scratch, but play around with tracks I’m already familiar with. This in combination with some midi controllers (akai lpd8/bcr2000) & probably a Korg Kaosspad which I’ll use for overdubbing/looping purposes besides effecting the master output. So loop-record a bunch of patterns in the kaosspad & be able to load up the next track in Renoise & mix it with the kaospadd output etc.

appreciate it. Am looking at getting a midi controller very soon and I think it allways translates well live, especially from a punters perspective.
One of the main things i missed going from drum machine to laptop live was knob twiddling.
Kaosspads are fun, never owned one, but played around with them before.
Nice set up, thanks for sharing.

I have allways rendered stems to wav and think it is a good way to future proof as you said and also back up.
Being fairly new to renoise, I hope rendering stems isn’t too difficult as I haven’t got that far yet.

Renoise is pretty neat in that if you choose to render all tracks, it will render ALL tracks… meaning you could create one track dry, then put it in a group track for a layer of effects, and put it in another group track for another layer of effects… and when you render, you’ll get all three versions.

It also means that if you do that, you can’t just drag all your wavs to a daw and get the same mix - you have to choose only the outermost track waves.

If you want more control over specific tracks that get rendered, then you can use send effects with “mute source” – renoise will automatically delete any files which produce silence.

Thanks Pat. The ability to render dry will be quite useful.

There are several interesting internal effects which previous posters have mentioned. However the two most important mixing tools like the EQ and compressor does not hold up in my view, at least not as one would expect from a modern DAW.

The EQ window is extremely small and doesn’t have a frequency analyzer, at least the first mentioned factor makes it more or less usable to me.

The compressor doesn’t behave like a compressor should, and therefore very hard to get right. Not sure about the latest release of Renoise / Redux, but that’s my earlier experiences at least. Here’s a video about this very subject.

Admittedly, like more than 10 years ago and primarily coming from a tracking background I was excited with all the Renoise effects. But as time has gone by, I’ve got the opportunity to try out a lot of other external stuff and then you’ll notice the lesser quality difference of the Renoise effects.

In the Backstage area you can always download an older version of Renoise? :walkman:

I don’t use expensive VSTs, so i can’t compare to those, but that wouldn’t make much sense and wouldn’t be fair because it’s often more expensive than Renoise in the first place.

Renoise FX are not bad at all, they are usually a better alternative than most free plugins out there. Of course they’re not as good as the one you paid your life savings for, but for what you pay, Renoise FX are great.

I love the bus compressor with its very, very warm and soft knee :slight_smile: Also multitap is kind of secret weapon (at least was a secret to me for a long time). EQ5 is my daily used eq, and the missing LP/HP switches I do compensate using the nice filter3 or digital filter. The gate is very useful, but sometimes also quite too delicate reacting (esp. with attack 0) and it could be extended in some kind of transient shaper? (looking for relative dynamic changes instead threshold?).

I am missing still a bunch of extensions of the current fx that are basically: graphical analyzer for eq (best directly in analyzer above, the current is also very small), side/mid for eq, compressor, gain (panning), dry/wet, etc…

Distortion is nice for me used pre-filter. I don’t care if it’s realistic sounding, if it sounds good.

Still not discovered really: Using exciter (almost never get satisfying result), cabinet simulator almost never (I always forget about). Analog filter ?? No clue still.