Oprint & Other Usefull Things

I just learned I can find a list of classes? with oprint.
Something like this ran in the terminal:

oprint (renoise.song())  

will produce a nice list of Song Properties & methods.

oprint (renoise.app())  

will produce a list of Application Properties & methods.

I’m not sure how to go any deeper with this but,
this is probably the closest thing to a “tell me about everything I can’t see” command, I’ve found so far. :)

I know there is some other way to do a very specific thing based on the “_observable” But I haven’t figured that one out yet.

If anyone would liek to offer more useful things, please please please please don’t use the generalized blablabla.bla:foobarbla.makesNoSense(stuff)
It honestly makes no sense to me yet, and would be better to just post a picture of dots and squigglies creating a paradox. :D

ooo hell yes breakthrough!

rprint(_G)  

This one is mind bending fun!

Seems to be a huge index of tables of functions or tables with lists of functions?

indices?

No idea what this all really means but each thing in brackets can be called:
example using the os table?

rprint(os)  

No idea what the hex next to them is. machine address?

Either way this seems to look like what I need to be looking at.

seems oprint means “object print”
and
rprint mean “recursive print”?

I don’t get this stuff.

Like this:
oprint(renoise.song().tracks)
I keep getting these:
table: 10525EC0

I know it’s a table but what is it!? I would imagine it’s just some random address to some far off land that doesn’t make any sense, or really isn’t actually important. So I keep trying to find the names to parameters on devices, or even how to find the devices, but the answers are shrouded deep in this hidden obscurity: that no one would ever grant. Knowing very well by now I will need to ask more questions, I’m just lurking outside the walls of this obsidian fortress, peering into the unknown scavenging scraps of data you guys have been dropping while passing to and fro. Getting to the point I would pay someone just to answer my questions, but I never will as I’m growing crimson with the hatefullness only a geek could admire.

now please tell me about the fucking golf shoes!!!

I’ve searched through the LUA 5.1 Reference manual only now did I find anything relative to print.
this page:
http://www.lua.org/pil/5.1.html
shows something about print, but the syntax isn’t anything near what has worked for me in renoise so far.
Renoise Api Lua is alien to the already alien nature of Lua, in my sense.
I would imagine if one already decently knew Lua and programming, the translation might me something of ease, but for me it’s a continuous mis.
Only since I started proofing the docs, has it began to seep in, problem with that is, the info is not yet 100% reliable. Just found an example earlier in the snippets with the help of vV, that needs to be fixed, I should report that now that I remembered.
That was quick, they fixed it. :)
my mistake- I need to report it.

what exactly is so alien about Renoises print?

The Lua std library reference (list of all function in Lua) is here:
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/ (complete Lua language reference)
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#5 (list of Lua functions only)

The changes we’ve done to the std library are documented here:
https://code.google.com/p/xrnx/source/browse/trunk#trunk/Documentation -> Lua.Standard.API.lua

Would indeed be cool to merge them and include them in Renoise, so we have all this in one big documentation file that can be relied on.

Man you guys did some huge editing to this thread. :D
But why did whomever remove vV and your code taktik, that was indeed VERY helpful, even though I couldn’t figure out how to use yours it should be included somewhere easily seen.
I’m glad I saved them.

Just have split that out of the print discussion:
See Renoise Device Parameter Name List please

OOOOh I see it now, maybe should remove everything before the post with the devices in order with the attachment.

should be easy to spot it has size 5 with bold letters, I would just remove everything before it.

Main thing is, it’s so easy to feel completely dead-ended by the the tables with the memory addresses when getting to them which is very easy. Since memory addresses, don’t really mean anything to anyone but the person looking at the computer.

It’s not very apparent to me if it’s possible to look inside those tables without some form of external reference that I don’t know if exists. I do know now after looking through Renoise.Song.API.lua

I’m use to being able to do a lot from a command line, inspecting things learning about commands, looking at man pages lot’s of example usage, but then again I know functions and objects are not commands at all. rprint and oprint is the only useful things I’ve found in the terminal, but example usage is very slim so far.

also one thing that’s been heavy on my mind lately this week is how do we find out what the HTTP and OSC server doing?
I need a command that gives me an idea of “what the hell are you doing server?”

also earlier, I was getting a bunch of errors from scripts running in memory from when I was evaluating a heavy amount of code, it wasn’t releasing, and I kept getting errors referenced to stuff I had run far back earlier. In SC3 I could easily stop what was running in the background with just a key combination.

You need to start a blog dude.

Your personal journey in learning basic programming is clogging up the forums, not sure if it’s appropriate.

http://norvig.com/21-days.html

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.” - The Dude

The way I see it, is completely contrary to your perspective.

That was kind of obnoxious. That OSC Discussion thread has 1481 views as of right now.
If someone sifted through looking for answers to a similar question I had they would have a 20% chance of getting an answer, mostly given by taktik and a couple from Sambiotic.

the only resolve is to scour the documentation, the libraries and the snippets, to get even a slight grasp of what is going on.
Still there are many questions left unanswered, there are no OSC tools to analyze therefore most of us are completely in the dark.

Most of us learned tracking from looking through other trackers modules.

Look, sorry, but this is just a wrong assessment.

The equivalent is “I don’t know how to read, if there was only some way to analyze the individual letters…”

Learning the letters is not learning how to read? A deep understanding of the individual letters is not going to make you any good at reading?

Everyone learns programming by scouring the documentation, the libraries and the snippets. This is not an exception. It’s the rule. It takes tons of time and frurstration to grasp. That’s normal. Everyone learns programming like this.

A simple packet sniffer would do the job for OSC analysis, but literacy in programming would do more.

I’m not denying the threads led to helpful information, and I’m not trying to dampen your enthusiasm, but if we’re talking about obnoxious, replying to yourself several times in a row with no useful info… rather personal narratives that aren’t really helpful.

Programming takes years to learn, if you want to document your progress, fine, but this isn’t a blog.

Well man, you are detracting from the thread, until you start offering something useful, I have to ignore you.

I’m not going to stop, if you were still on the team I might listen to you or on the other hand get into a huge argument with you.
help or don’t help, if you don’t help, you don’t even need to write, it’s that easy.

I’m not interested in your assessments.

Rename the thread to Moonrider learns LUA, bam, it’s now a blog, problem solved. Maybe we could have a LUA/coding chitchat forum… or just take over off-topic and go :P Because: lol at people learning programming by reading the docs until they get everything. I know that’s not what you literally said, but it was hilariously close. You must have that out of some book, because it’s surely not an idea one would come up with when looking at the real world.

Okay, I have to admit I asked quite a few things that were in the API, and this thread for example made me discover that the one document I always skipped, “LUA standards blah”, contains highly useful stuff (and not the LUA primer I assumed it to be heh). And I know that even if docs are well written and have pictures and whatnot, people will still not always read all of it before diving in. Sometimes to a fault, out of lazyness…

… but sometimes because it makes sense. Just think PHP… I’m on my 2nd or 3rd custom CMS now, it’s surely not awe inspiring but it IS a beast and it DOES work… and do you really think I know more than 10% of what there is to know about PHP? Not to mention MySQL lmao. And the PHP docs by the way would be FUBAR in some places without the comments below them which inject some actual use scenarios and snippets, or correct misconceptions people repeatedly have, that sort of thing. If there was just the documentation without the comment section, I would still use PHP, but not as much and not as successfully.

Another example, I just integrated chipmunk 2d physics into my joke of an engine, and half of the kinda basic questions that came up during that aren’t even answered in the docs but in the forums by the author -> who explains even basic physics concepts repeatedly in passing, because saying “blah blah is like mass, but in regards to inertia of rotation” is just as much words as “please read some wikipedia articles about basic physics concepts before posting here” (hey wait, it’s actually less haha). And that means all those threads which contain all sorts of “noob questions”, tend to also contain correct info, instead of just questions + bitching without even a link to the correct info. Kinda like what Bantai usually does. And I’m NOT saying the devs should have time or motivation for that, but either do it right or let it run its course and let people help each other or just think aloud? Even random personal coding adventures are more interesting than jokes or general brownnosing, and I don’t ever see anyone bitch about that :lol:

This thread is now about blogs, and onion salad.

listening to 16aj Don Dadda.

from that link:

:lol:

I have to agree.