OSX Big Sur Beta: Certain GUI widgets not loading until mouseover

Hi,

Renoise is not loading popup GUI widgets, such as menus and tooltips, but instead shows them as flat light gray until I hover mouse over them. I started getting this issue fairly recently – I am not 100% exactly when, because I initially expected this to be just a temporary glitch that would disappear. I’m fairly certain it appeared only after I decided to update macOS to Big Sur beta.

A more detailed description: When I open any pulldown menu, it is initially shown as flat light gray. Then, when I move the mouse over the menu, it gets rendered correctly. However, if I open a submenu, then that is blank until I hover over that, too.
Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 16.18.38

In addition to the menus, this also affects all tooltips and things like the Preferences window, Tool Browser and Scripting Editor. After the cursor has been over the widget, the widget stays visible even after the mouse is moved elsewhere, but if the menu is closed, when it is reopened it is blank again.

GUI preferences (“GUI effects & animations”, “Enable Retina HiDPI display support” and others) don’t seem to affect this. Furthermore, I’ve tried uninstalling and reinstalling Renoise, but that didn’t help either.

I am on macOS Big Sur 11.0 Beta (20A5374i) and Renoise 3.2.2. Is this a known issue? Has anyone encountered something similar? Is there anything I can do?

Thanks!

4 Likes

Well, in case you haven’t done so already, notifying @taktik would be a great first step :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m new to the Renoise forums, so wasn’t sure of the etiquette here. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just a warning about updating further… I had this same issue on earlier betas, but when I upgraded to 20A5384c the entire GUI became that same flat light gray, and no amount of mouse-hovering resolves it.

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 2.15.18 PM

2 Likes

Oof, I would certainly have tried updating further if it weren’t for your post. Looks like I’m gonna stay right where I am for the time being. Thank you for the warning!

Hopefully this will get resolved. I reckon it’s no use trying to file a bug report to Apple…

Is there some option about “App Nap” in the info dialogue of Renoise.app (right clicking on Renoise.app, opening ‘info’)?

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately no, there’s no checkbox for App Nap in the info dialogue.

welcome :wink:

1 Like

I’m going to keep moving forward with the betas, so I’ll follow-up if something Apple does resolves the issues.

1 Like

Thanks, much appreciated!

Argh! I had auto-updates off, but I was once again outsmarted by a computer, and the mac updated itself. Now I’m having the same flat gray everywhere, too.

FYI it looks like Renoise still isn’t usable on today’s public release of Big Sur, so beware if you’re looking to get a new computer or are otherwise reading this thread ahead updating from an earlier version of MacOS.

1 Like

A fix for this is available here now. Please report in this topic in case there are other problems with OSX Big Sur.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.