Audiounit issues with 3.2, with songs saved in Renoise 3.1 on OSX >= High Sierra

Hi guys, wanted to thank you for your effort and involvement but i’m considering to go to 3.1 for a while. as i’m having few issues:

1. Loading projects from 3.1 doesn’t remember (FX plugins) nor instrument remember presets (VSTi) when opening in 3.2
  2. Sometimes it hangs, when opening projects (freezing, being unresponsive) after i wait a while, i just kill process, and i open renoise and it works great.
  3. Loading simple projects without plugins sometimes take a while, idk why

I’m interested in optimizing pc for it and i’m asking you guys to sum up some performance-related setup within renoise/os.
Thanks in advance!!

Hm, I am using really a lot of plugins, and I can report the opposite. Renoise 3.2 nicely fixes everything which was a headache in 3.1. All VSTs load here, including the presets. Audiounits also will load as expected, as long you saved the song not in 3.1 + 10.13 or later. If so, you need to export the .aupresets in 3.1, edit it and then restore it in 3.2.

Loading of songs including large samples always was a bit slow in Renoise, in my experience. Overall I have the impression that loading times speed up a bit in 3.2 (and is bug free).

Can you more accurately explain which plugins you are using, or provide an example song?

mostly “play” by east west, airwindows, and TDR (which are cpu hogs), but mostly AU don’t restore presets saved in 3.1

will it restore correct presets or it won’t?
~well i saved a lot of songs in 3.1 since that was prev release :smiley:
and when opening in 3.2, FX preset just goes to default (on every channel/master/VSTi). I can provide you few examples if so.

It will restore audiounit presets correctly. There is no bug here in 3.2. But in 3.1, there is a bug, which causes audiounits to be saved in a improper way. 3.2 cannot load improperly saved presets. You will have to fix it by hand.

1 Like

Okay, thank you for your help.
what exactly do you suggest? Can you suggest to-do steps to overcome this issue?

Thanks

I wrote that like 3 times since 3.2 release in here under help or bugs. Please have a search :slight_smile:

1 Like

just to post your workaround if that is okay with you?

boonier: I now around-worked most of my projects. Only works if you still have 10.12 installation, too:

• Boot up 10.12, load the song, save all audiounit’s presets in .aupreset format within Renoise, save it to the song dir (don’t forget AU instruments, too, and look into renoise instrument fx sections)
  • Boot up 10.13, open the preset files in a text editor, set manufacturer, type and subtype to 0, save the preset to a new file, like “xx1013.preset”
  • Load Renoise, load the faulty song. Now load all fixed preset files into the respective plugins.

Bonus ideas:

• Keep the original presets (saved in 10.12), in case Renoise will be fixed and then the modified presets won’t work anymore :3
  • Replace as many AUs with their VST versions, using the plugin’s preset mechanism, in case, there is any
  • Some plugins won’t evenwork with this workaround. This will be the case then after reloading your fixed project once. e.g. Zebra2 au doesn’t work here

Ok, only that statement is from pre 3.2 time. So it actually is outdated.

HOW TO FIX A AUDIOUNIT PRESET/SONG INCLUDING AUDIOUNIT SAVED WITH RENOISE 3.1 AND MACOS 10.13++ TO MAKE IT LOAD PROPERLY INTO RENOISE 3.2

• Load Renoise 3.11 and the song you saved with 3.11/high sierra++
  • Load Renoise 3.2 and put it on another virtual desktop
  • In 3.1, select the au effect or instrument and then left click on the preset selectbox and choose “export preset” (at the bottom of the list)
  • Open a proper text editor, and open the saved .aupreset file
  • Now edit add those values which are missing with the proper ones. If you don’t know which these are, open a new instance of that effect in 3.2, save the aupreset and then open that to another tab of your text editor for comparison
  • After editing, save the aupreset file
  • In 3.2, select the device, click onto the preset menu and choose “import preset”

HOW TO FIX THE .AUPRESET USING A (PROPER) TEXT EDITOR

Saved with with Renoise 3.11 (.aupreset, here using ambience AU as an example):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>data</key>
	<data>
	AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVAAAAAD9CMjkAAAABPqmJ+QAAAAI+64UfAAAAAz8AAAAAAAAEPwo9
	cQAAAAU/AAAAAAAABj8KPXEAAAAHPr1wpAAAAAhCcAABAAAACULIAAAAAAAKAAAAAAAA
	AAs9zMzNAAAADAAAAAAAAAANP164UgAAAA7A7My8AAAAD0qXt6MAAAAQAAAAAAAAABEA
	AAAAAAAAEkEgAAAAAAATQ/r/7wAAABRCyAAA
	</data>
	<key>manufacturer</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>name</key>
	<string>Sascha Kujawa _ Room</string>
	<key>subtype</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>type</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
	<key>version</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

You will transform it into something like this, so adding the proper manufacturer, subtype, type values back again:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>data</key>
	<data>
	AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVAAAAAD8ZmZ4AAAABQAAAAAAAAAI9dcKOAAAAAz8R64UAAAAEProt
	cwAAAAU/AAAAAAAABj9R64QAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAhCyAAAAAAACUIEAAgAAAAKPUzMzAAA
	AAs+YPnTAAAADMDHrhEAAAANPw9cKQAAAA7A7hRuAAAAD0qxpccAAAAQAAAAAAAAABE+
	zMzWAAAAEkEgAAAAAAATQlrMzQAAABQAAAAA
	</data>
	<key>manufacturer</key>
	<integer>1298229066</integer>
	<key>name</key>
	<string>drums ambience hi2</string>
	<key>subtype</key>
	<integer>130071762</integer>
	<key>type</key>
	<integer>1635083896</integer>
	<key>version</key>
	<integer>0</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

References:

Keywords
Fixing Audiounit in Renoise 3.2, Audiounit fix, aupreset loading, fixing lost presets, Renoise 3.1 was buggy, Renoise 3.2 has no bugs, .aupreset xml editor, manufacturer id audiounit, vendor id audiounit, AU loading fix, plugin preset manager

@dspasic can you mark the below post as solution?

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.