"owned" Serie

Nah CeeJay… :D
You posted quite some Ot! :)
Nobody crowned me… but so what, I take my own set and disqualify your pictures n: 4 - 5 (as good as it gets) and 6
for not being ownage :lol:

an old but still good sort-of-ownage

an owned-to-be

A lot of humour is based on cruelty, it’s just the way things are.

There’s two sides to this debate…
The first viewpoint is that laughing at a horror trivialises and endorses it, and mocks the victims, and therefore is not okay.
The second viewpoint is that nothing is out of bounds for humour (the Mel Brooks approach, which he follows in The Producers by poking fun at the nazis with "Springtime For Hitler).

I think there’s a third side to it, which is comedy = tragedy plus time. Mel Brooks is able to do the holocaust because it happened decades ago, and comedians are allowed to cover the two towers a few years down the track, but not earlier.

Theory and research suggests that in an evolutionary sense, one of the purposes of comedy is that it is used to reduce status. By mocking an authority figure, you take them down a few rungs, and if everyone’s laughing at them, they can’t single out anyone to avenge themselves upon. The problem is that victims deserve respect…perhaps when we give the dead or injured too much respect, society attempts to balance this by laughing at them some time down the track? I don’t know. But I’m not sure I think that laughing at something distasteful like slavery is morally wrong or a political statement, just bad taste on the part of the laugher, which comedy is full of (bad taste that is).

Agree… but quite obviously, that doesn’t mean that being cruel is funny.

Agree again. Nowhere I made a “moral” point out of it.
I understand Vvoois point when he say that living a “harder/troubled” life often compells one to “wake up” from “moral” structures.
Under this special point of view “laughing” becomes “waking up” someone from the very moral structures built upon him.
Santa does not exist, the American Dream is for people who’s sleeping, sex without love can be fun, santa’s existance is more reasonable than god’s existance, being female does not means being inferior, having a family might be as bad and sometimes even worst than being alone, getting drunk is not necessarily cool, what you see is almost always different from what you get… etc etc…
One might not fully understand WHY… but he/she will feel “released” inside when the “moral” barrier is broken. Some sort of inner “voice” is saying “Ok! So you see that things are the way you -initially- thought. After that, people told you bullshits. You are wrong now, You were right then”

This whole behaviour has a counterpart. People not fully digging out how these things work they often think that “anything that will shock people is therapy” … and this is obviously not true.
Any image depicting cruelty is “shocking” (because of our own nature pushing us to project ourselves upon the things we see) but what is the “moral barrier” that’s trying to break?
A picture about a down-syndrome crashing into a car… what does it means?
“Wake up, killing freaks is fun!” :blink: ???
And one about “owned” slaves? What is this inviting me to consider?
“Wake up you n00b, it’s cool to have slaves” :huh: ??? or
“Wake up, there wasn’t any slavery… it’s all communist propaganda” :ph34r: ???

There is one last point I’ll not face here unless some of you guys really want me to pull out… and that’s about those pictures depicting real tortures, death, pain, humiliation etc etc… and about the people who create/share/like such images.
They will hardly admit they “like” those images…they will probably tell you they are “curious” but still they will be looking for those images. There are sound reasons for this to happen but I will not face this delicate topic this time ;)

To be honest, a lot of jokes that go about dramatic events are made up by those that experienced the drama themselves.
Unawarely they relieve the pressure and try to blame some party.
The most weird answers get into the world that way and the most humorous ones keep circling.

When it comes out of the mouth of those that were involved, people accept it, while when an outsider passes on the same joke to someone else, he or she is just being called a sadist.

I’m still an artist in many matters.
I’ve learned not to give people special ideas when releasing your art, wether it’s music, pictures, movies or sculptures.

Why would the most dramatic picture always win the World Press Photo?
Because the the details of the story are left for the imagination of the people who see and everybody sees a different picture, though, physically it represents the same image for every pair of eyes (not including people having visual defunct side-effects like the colourblinds), yet every mind treats it different.

If i would write a poem or a song, there will be some elements that force peoplein a little way to go into a certain direction, but they can only guess what is the real situation behind the part of it.
The rest they may imagine themselves because i want them to have that freedom. And those people that do not even feel forced by the red wire going through the art and completely design their own story around that art, may have the talent to be social very intelligent, yet the very opposite is there in the same group of people who can do that.

Never matter:I don’t have any message with the pictures (no matter how taunting they are), any message you create is the one you create by yourself and frankly i don’t even mean to push anyone into any direction.
They just made me laugh for whatever my reasons are.

Every person has desires and some have desires they keep a secret because they think they might hurt someone or someone else would not understand.
There are probably many shrinks and psychologists that can answer those questions very easily.
Yet some may give incorrect answer upon the question what a person should do with those desires.

I only have answer from my personal point of view:
If you don’t explicitly hurt anyone’s feelings, then there should be nothing stopping you.
I don’t support images that shot true happened situations, which inflict pain to soul and body.

There is a difference between this:

And this:

They both make me laugh, not because i like either one of groups being humiliated, it’s the situation both artists tried to mock with.
Both artists tried to make their points against the KKK and i experienced people that support these groups do not like any of above posted images.
I got really flamed on some kind of religious board by ppl that suddenly had the nerve to come out for their support to the KKK which really surprised me a lot, usually i just mock with religions that allow hurting or offending other people.

Vvoois, it is probably a problem of mine… but how can you freely jump from a statement to another with no care for the main meaning your whole post is assuming? Because to me sounds like total nonsensical random arguement.
You do some statement about the way “art” should operate, I understood that, which I personally find deeply wrong…
Other than that the rest sounds like total semantic chaos mixed with some prejudice and a good portion of selfish cheap psychology.

wow :lol: ok assuming this is a difference…

What is the point against the KKK in pic1 ?

In short, your last post made me go like

Hahahaha, well, you’re not the only one.
You need to live with me for a couple of years to figure me (and my vision) out in detail.

Just trust me on this one:I’m not a bad guy but i’m certainly not really fond of myself either. Not for the things i do, nor for the things i say and my self criticism is usually higher than most people judge me for.

To remain on topic…

Haha Parsec. :D Can’t speak for the rest, but nothing will pwn your last one.

Sort of. Only certain types of physical cruelty are funny, usually semi-harmless indignancies and slapstick…or in the case of the KKK cartoon above, comeuppance. If someone breaks their skull because of the banana peel, it’s suddenly a lot less funny…unless we hate them. Social cruelty is a lot more funny - people will quite happily laugh at a disgraced politician mercilessly for years.

We’ll quite happily laugh at agonising misfortune, though, like the email I received recently with the story of a diver who got a jellyfish in his suit, and scratched what he thought was just an itchy butt, but actually drove the jellyfish into his ass crack, where it burned like agony. All the other divers, including the medic found this hilarious, and the fact that he was in agony for over half an hour before he could get out of the water didn’t seem to affect the comic value of it.

Tellingly, it probably wouldn’t have been funny if someone had done it to him on purpose, though.

This got a lol from me… :lol: …but slavery is a terrible thing…a terrible thing that helped build america, the “greatest country in the world”. But then, so did the US benefit hugely from WW2, such that if it hadn’t happened then they wouldn’t be a superpower today…another terrible thing. But nazis are funny - Monty Python proves it.

I’m not sure where this is leading. :)

I would rather do less chit-chat and more pictures…

Monthy Python are the definitive proof that there is some other kind of humor beyond the “pie-in-the-face” logic.
“This bad thing happened to him instead of me, wow”
It takes quite a small brain to be amused by pie-in-the-face logic… on my side, at least. Take this story about the diver and the jellyfish… I can’t seem to find anything amusing in that. Why? Probably I have done too much diving myself and know jellyfishes too well. Having some medicine attitude it helps to understand what a chemical burn is like and it helps with anatomy because in the end I have cleaned my ass too long to consider my ass-hole as a “peculiar place” like many teen-age-minded people seem to think, something “funny” or surrounded by shyness and mistery. To me, maybe it’s my fault, it really looks like any other part of human body.

Take this whole diver story… and add, in the beginning, some background detail that makes sense. Maybe he was warned about jellyfishes right before entering the water… and he went like “Jellyfishes? I scratch my ass with jellyfishes!”
:)
The whole story takes another turn…

Yeah, but the twist goes back to the less funny part when the jellyfish turned out to be a Stinger.

Does it?

Yes

To be clear, I didn’t find the diver story funny (vaguely amusing in a sympathetic kind of way - yes, funny - no), but offered it as an example because the people who were actually there did, apparently.

:lol: don’t worry… I wasn’t stating that you’re small-brained :D
Just generically speaking about the “taste” for pie-in-the-face situations.
Like childrens in a classroom, it’s enough to say “ass” and everyone start poking each other in shyness like
eheh… eh… he said -ass-”…
Now, I remember being like that when I was 6 - 8 y.o. …but still, I have no doubts as for the fact that adult retards are wide-spread all over the world. Yes, that includes doctors.
In his -ass-, can you imagine that buddy? in his -ass-, not on his hands… not on his arms… in his -ass- mphffff… woooh… eheh… amazing… eheh… so funny… eheh"
:huh:
What is that? Beavis and Butthead return? <_<

http://www.feisar.de/stuff/cribs.jpg

I found 3 out of 4 (not the first KKK-joke) “offensive” jokes here funny, just for the absurdity really. And the last KKK-joke wasn’t offensive in my eyes at all, as it had a what-goes-around-ect-thing going. :)

Anyway, the racist legos DOES depict a part of history that definetly should not be deipicted as a toy of ANY kind. It’s therefore surreal, thus funny. In my eyes. I laughed.

The kid with downs syndrome being chased by a car is NOT funny cos he has downs, it’s funny cos of his playful carefree “look ma, I’m playing with the nice big men”-look of it all. If you laugh cos you think “Heh, look at the freak running” I say you have issues. In my opinion.

Its not THAT you laugh, it’s WHY you laugh. Like Vincent said (only in my own words), black people can do racist jokes on their own, but white people can NOT do racist jokes on black people. But everybody should be able to laugh at the absurdity!

I know this is not an easy issue, but I feel you two: Parsec and Vvois should just exchange phone numbers and have a long, informative talk to iron out your little difference here. :P