Parallel Mode Effect Link

To apply two or more effects in parallel on a track, at present in Renoise it’s possible realize this stratagem (assuming that our track is Track X):

• insert a new empty track (Track Y) near Track X;
  • clone contents of Track X to Track Y;
  • apply an effect on Track X;
  • apply another effect on Track Y;
  • halve volume of Track X and Track Y.

It should be more practical and easy to manage a little (and automatizable :-D) ComboBox-control (like the output route box) on each track, with these 2 simple options:

• Series-Cascade Mode (default option);
  • Parallel Mode (second option).

You can also do this by connecting two send tracks to “Track X” and apply the different effects there (S0 and S1) - just to avoid having the same contents in two tracks.

Very interesting: it useful to use the Send Tracks 00, 01, 02, …, for parallel link of DSP effects.

Thanks, Uffe Auring!

When is it useful to have parallel effects?

Splajn, I’ll illustrate an example.

Suppose to want harmonize a monophonic vocal track (1 only singer) with an 8 voices choir effect, but your VST harmonizer supports maximum 4

voices choir effect (like AKAI DecaBuddy or Steinberg VoiceMachine).

How to resolve this problem?

Simple: in parallel mode, on monophonic vocal track, apply 2 (or more) istances of your 4Voices VST harmonizer effect. You have to program a

different harmony on each istance.

In this case, the series-cascade mode doesn’t work correctly: output of first istance (harmony 4 voices) goes into input of second istance,

but VST harmonizers work correctly with only 1 voice in input. Conclusion: second istance of VST harmonizer doesn’t work correctly and so you

are forced to cancel second istance and to content yourself with an only 4 voices choir effect (first istance effect).

Why?

In series-cascade mode, each DSP-Effect from 2nd to X receives in input the output of previous DSP-Effect. Only 1st DSP-Effect receives in

input pure original audio signal. In this mode, DSP-Effects sequence is very important.

In parallel mode, instead, each DSP-Effect works independently, without interfere with other DSP-Effects, because each DSP-Effect receives in

input pure original audio signal (in our example, 1 voice vocal track). In this mode, DSP-Effects sequence is not important.

I hope that my example and my explanation are clean.

VBAlk