Pattern Markers

When I am working on extra long patterns I often find myself wishing for some way of labeling the different sections of a pattern so it’s easy to remember what is going on.

They could be implemented simply as an extra field next to the row count, on the right and/or left side of the pattern editor, where you can type text. Perhaps rows with markers could even be colored differently?

Any thoughts?

drag the border of the pattern sequencer?

EDIT: Never-mind. I see you want markers inside the pattern, not the same thing. Sorry. :(

Why use huge patterns?

just split them…
:unsure:

This is down to workflow I guess, but I find that If I write a longer theme with lots of long, continuous automation, I find it kinda painful to have to split it up into individual patterns. Those patterns would also not be very reusable on their own, as one pattern only contains part of the theme/melody, and it would need other patterns to be “complete”.

I guess sometimes I make music where I like to think of a pattern as a whole section of a tune, instead of just a small building block. It’s a bit more like linear sequencing, but in big chunks :)

I find this kind of fuctionality very useful. I don’t think it is necessary to visually
display the mark, a keyboard shrtcut is enough. It could be somewhat similar to marks
used to jump around in a file as implemented in some text editors.

Ah I understand.

I might like to be able to add more colours in different highlighted rows.

http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?sho…c=17050&hl=

Yea, why not configurable pattern jump positions with shortcuts?

And why not split pattern at position x function?

That would indeed solve my needs. It’s a bit more complex than what I had in mind though.