Pattern Navigation And F9-12 Keys

Thanks, Bantai. I think that settles it.

Is there anyway to edit a pattern that isn’t in the sequence (but has been made before) without changing the sequence?

As this thread has been revived, i’ll point out that I have been using trackers since 1991 and I have no idea what you are talking about. There are way too many words in this thread that have nothing to do with the feature you are requesting - which I am still not clear on.

Like you said, you have used many trackers. Me too. So has every other guy or girl in their thirties on this forum. I base everything on my experiences with Pro Tracker on Amiga and Fast Tracker as the greatest thing I ever lived on PC.

You want to edit patterns that aren’t in the sequence? My solution to that for over 15 years has been to add them to the end of the track and edit them there?

You want another place to edit them? By all means!

Surely if you want to edit a pattern that is not in the sequence, just edit it and put it in the sequence later.

I cant see how editing a pattern while another pattern is playing would be of any use to anyone… Unless you were playing live…

Just answered my own question there… Haha. Ooops

For the time being, just open up another instance of renoise, route the outs to the monitor channel on your sound card, edit and then sync in with the Renoise that is currently playing. (to be honest, I have no idea if this is possible, but thought I would join in)

You call it a solution, I call it a workaround, and it’s the workaround that is the issue for some of us, because it forces the composer to break the integrity of the sequence just to edit a pattern that may or may not end up in the final mix.

Just a question that might help clarify things, does anybody else edit their mods line by line or is the norm to record the whole song live into a sequence of empty patterns? Because if it were the latter, I can understand why there’s so much misunderstanding.

Again, a workaround to what?

Again, too many words, not enough of them about whatever feature you are asking for. If you spent less time belittling and more time explaining I might, after 2 pages of reading, have a clue to what you want. So far, all I know is that you don’t have something that I never needed? Not that my opinion matters, everyone’s an asshole.

Cheers.

Well then I suppose it’s irrelevant because Bantai has already answered my questions. So if the feature I need isn’t of any use to you then I don’t see any point in continuing this discussion.

Cool! I hope you get what you are looking for (still not too sure what that is, but hey if Bantai is on it, that’s a start!). Suggestions are always welcome, hostility towards them is always free. :slight_smile:

Welcome to Renoise?

Haha, sorry for the rampage. I understand now.

I have in fact tried Modplug Tracker, Impulse Tracker, Scream Tracker and even have a registered copy of Mad Tracker. One of the reasons I switched to Renoise was that I didn’t quite understand how the “references” paradigm was relevant to me. Renoise worked closer to Fast Tracker, which I intuitively understood. If the pattern is in your face then you edit the pattern. You cycle through the patterns to find them. A piece of paper in front of me to remember the patterns. The fact that I can name the patterns in Renoise got rid of my piece of paper and now i just have to cycle through them with the arrow keys.

I can see how this can be annoying if you lose track of patterns not in the view, at least in theory I understand, but the fact that I made efforts to switch away from that paradigm is a testament to the old addage “one man’s bug is another man’s feature”.

With the aranger coming up, I think this will present a creative solution which will sasisfy everyone without brining in the IT2 way of doing things to my “FT2 ennvironement”. (or everyone else’s NoiseTrekker way of doing things).

All good.