Pattern Pool / Toolbox

Oh my… I would love a new arranger and a pool of blocks sounds nice. I am a bit fatigued these days of having to edit tons of patterns with the same change.

Don’t dismiss a horizontal arranger, think outside the Renoise box here.

The problem with phrases today is that they don’t show the data in the pattern editor, quite hard to use for anything but Arps and percussion.

I just thought about pattern/track automation, that feels a bit tricky in a case of using blocks!? Maybe it would be easier programming wise if each track had a pool of it’s own?

Don’t dismiss a horizontal arranger, think outside the Renoise box here.

https://forum.renoise.com/t/a-more-practical-pattern-matrix/43134:wink:

think outside the Renoise box

In a way, that’s what the pattern toolbox is. It exists ‘outside the box’ (== the matrix),

Talking about a traditional arranger is of course nice, but most arrangers I’ve encountered still would have to consider a concept like this in order to break out of their own limitations

For example, you have a song which contain a nice piano solo - a ‘clip’. But where does that clip ‘exist’ - exclusively within the arranger, or elsewhere? What happens when you delete it?

If you reply ‘elsewhere’, then you also understand this concept :slight_smile:

One thing I don’t understand is why you can’t copy and paste slots from one instance of Renoise to another when you can copy and paste note data.

^ I think it’s because copying copies the entire pattern into the clipboard

As someone who started on Buzz I’ve wanted something like a “pattern pool” in Renoise for years now. PLEASE make this happen! :w00t:

As someone who started on Buzz I’ve wanted something like a “pattern pool” in Renoise for years now. PLEASE make this happen! :w00t:

+1

The pattern sequencer in renoise is a bit primitive, and a more powerful tool for building a pool of unsequenced patterns that can be dragged into a sequence would really help m y workflow in renoise. Something like the Buzz method, or even better, something modelled on Block mode in Reason:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6UFCdD4Lyk

Something like the Buzz method, or even better, something modelled on Block mode in Reason:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6UFCdD4Lyk

Reason’s block mode, to me, seems not exactly useful in a Renoise context.

Yes, blocks are intended to ‘glue’ together related elements. But, this is called a pattern in Renoise and something we take for granted.

The pattern pool simply enables you to have a separate list of ‘blocks’ (patterns), right next to the actual song (pattern sequence).

Reason’s block mode, to me, seems not exactly useful in a Renoise context.

Yes, blocks are intended to ‘glue’ together related elements. But, this is called a pattern in Renoise and something we take for granted.

The pattern pool simply enables you to have a separate list of ‘blocks’ (patterns), right next to the actual song (pattern sequence).

It would become very useful if/when Renoise has audio tracks. The good thing about blocks in Reason is that you can overlay patterns with linear audio segments that span across sequenced blocks or the whole song.

At the moment, this would not add much to Renoise because there is no song-length overlay to put audio tracks over sequenced patterns. If Renoise did have audio tracks and a pattern sequencer that worked a bit like block mode in Reason, then it would mean not having to export things to another DAW to do things like track guitars over the fully sequenced song.

A pattern pool would be a great addition to Renoise in its current form though.

A pattern pool would be a great addition to Renoise in its current form though.

Yup, I agree, any form of pattern pool would be greatly appreciated.
Recently I have started using more and more MIDI as well (sequencing parts and recording to samples/instruments), and to keep track of where all the original midi data is I just stuff these patterns at the end of my song, in case I need to revisit / rerecord, and in many songs I have like 10-100 patterns of this stuff, so would definitely be neat to just put all these in a “pool” instead. gets messy!

Presonus Studio One version 3 was just released, and it has perhaps the best implementation of a song arrangement feature I’ve yet seen in any DAW http://studioone.presonus.com/whats-new, https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=149&v=ZALHeAeOjM4

The Arranger Track and Scratch Pads in Presonus are an excellent way to create song parts without any particular structure in mind, and then arrange them into a complete song. A pattern pool in Renoise would be analagous to the Scratch Pad in Presonus. An arranger section in Renoise (a tab between Edit and Mix that displays an arranger screen) where you can sequence patterns or groups of patternsfrom a pool would be a big workflow improvement to Renoise over the existing pattern sequencer. Even better if the arranger lets you add audio tracks as a linear overlay to arranged patterns, which would then make Renoise a much more complete DAW.

What i suggest is simply to add two key bindings for prev/next pattern BY NUMBER, regardless of orderlist. The orderlist could be grayed out when viewing a pattern that’s not on the orderlist. As simple as that =)

Bump for this great idea!