Phrase quantize

Trying to quantize guitar sliced phrase, but I am not sure I understand it really.

Ok, I chop sample in slices (automatic chop tool), right click render slices to phrase.

After that, I hard move slice markers (zero crossing).

I am trying to quantize say in 8 lines, but I don’t think I manage it.

Could any one tell us what means everything in right click menu --> render slices option?

Use sample column

Lines per beat

Quantize

Is this what I am missing? I found that if I select higher lines per beat number, I get longer phrase (more lines).

I think I have to re render slices to phrase if I move slice markers, but it would be easier if we have this option above (quantize slices to lines)

[Edit:]

I found that quantization settings have to set prior render slices to phrase. If you delete some slices, they disappear from phrase instantly. But if you add new slices, they don’t.

So, I think I am close to solution… 1/4 lines means quarter notes? What is use sample column setting for?

If you set LPB in main window to high numbers (say 64), then phrase rendering will be more accurate. You have to change LPB back to first settings and then set phrase lpb to half.

For example if I try 32 for slice setting option-lpb, then I have to turn it down to half, what means 16.

Trying to fix gaps between slices (I found I have to enable loop points Start End, or set phrase-lpb near 16, say 18). Then phrase change velocity and tuning… Any thoughts?

If I use old 9XX commands or SXX (no sliced), sample phrase plays better. What am I missing?

I think I learned more reading the forum.

I get gaps… Player isn’t in time, so how can I quantize this guitar loop?

Here is the sample

and a try inxrns

I’m a bit puzzled - never really used the ‘render slices to phrase’ feature myself, but when I run it on your sample I need to multiply the speed x4.

So, rendering with 4LPB means I’d raise the LPB to 16. Can someone shed some light on this?

Otherwise, it works fine here. Assuming you want the guitar to land precisely on beats, I would render with quantize set to “line”, and move the notes so they are evenly distributed. 0 - 16 - 32 - 48, and so on. This will of course mean that you get some gaps or “flams” when the slice is not long enough to fill out the entire space - add a loop to the end of those slices. This technique is “poor mans time stretching” and takes a little effort - but on the plus side: it doesn’t mess with the sound quality.

Using sample columns simply instructs the phrase to be created with a visible sample column. This allows you to program any sample to play in any pitch (usually with a sliced sample, you are using the keyzone to specify which slice to play).

That probably sounded more complicated than it really is - if you don’t need to program you guitar to play with different pitches in the phrase, just leave the sample column feature alone. Or you can try enabling it and play with the keyboard to get familiar with the difference between the two modes.

If you check the phrase with and without Use Sample Column set you’ll see sample numbers or not. I think is a subtle difference and useful if you want to play with sample pitch more easily. With Use Sample Columns everything is C4 with a sample number and without it is a different key with no sample number.

When I render slices in your xrns i get the samples repeating 4 times unless I quadruple the LPB in the phrase. I mean if I make a new phrase using the original sample. I guess it has something to do with the low BPM.

I changed the BPM to something higher and it works normally.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByHG3G9Jf3tZU3Z4djMzdFdxbHM

I’m a bit puzzled - never really used the ‘render slices to phrase’ feature myself, but when I run it on your sample I need to multiply the speed x4.

So, rendering with 4LPB means I’d raise the LPB to 16. Can someone shed some light on this?

Otherwise, it works fine here. Assuming you want the guitar to land precisely on beats, I would render with quantize set to “line”, and move the notes so they are evenly distributed. 0 - 16 - 32 - 48, and so on. This will of course mean that you get some gaps or “flams” when the slice is not long enough to fill out the entire space - add a loop to the end of those slices. This technique is “poor mans time stretching” and takes a little effort - but on the plus side: it doesn’t mess with the sound quality.

Using sample columns simply instructs the phrase to be created with a visible sample column. This allows you to program any sample to play in any pitch (usually with a sliced sample, you are using the keyzone to specify which slice to play).

That probably sounded more complicated than it really is - if you don’t need to program you guitar to play with different pitches in the phrase, just leave the sample column feature alone. Or you can try enabling it and play with the keyboard to get familiar with the difference between the two modes.

Thank you @danoise, yes that is clever enough “poor mans time stretching”. I 'll give it a try.

What are the best setting for Start End loop points? I found that in sine math graph, you have to set start and end points to upper graph and sure in zero crossing. Is there any good tutorial?

Strange thing is that if i play setting phrase to keymap mode (but not drag phrase from grid to keyboard), everything is ok. But in program mode getting gaps.

I tried and slice my pitch tool, which is better than chop my sample I think, because you have instantly loop points and zero crossing slicing.

If you check the phrase with and without Use Sample Column set you’ll see sample numbers or not. I think is a subtle difference and useful if you want to play with sample pitch more easily. With Use Sample Columns everything is C4 with a sample number and without it is a different key with no sample number.

When I render slices in your xrns i get the samples repeating 4 times unless I quadruple the LPB in the phrase. I mean if I make a new phrase using the original sample. I guess it has something to do with the low BPM.

I changed the BPM to something higher and it works normally.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByHG3G9Jf3tZU3Z4djMzdFdxbHM

Yes @Ihaastdaiz. I recorded in in 70 bpm. I don’t think it is on metronome now even in your new bpm. Thank you for your trie and your help about Use Sample Column explain.

What are the best setting for Start End loop points? I found that in sine math graph, you have to set start and end points to upper graph and sure in zero crossing. Is there any good tutorial?

How to loop a sample after slicing it - well, I think that’s of the really creative sides of sequencing with samples and an artform in itself :slight_smile:

My how to loop a sliced sample 101: usually,pingpong looping is a good idea - bonus points for placing the loop markers in the “middle” of a waveform (smoother loop when possible). Or get creative and don’t worry if it doesn’t sound perfect, such details are usually not noticed in a mix anyway

Strange thing is that if i play setting phrase to keymap mode (but not drag phrase from grid to keyboard), everything is ok. But in program mode getting gaps.
I tried and slice my pitch tool, which is better than chop my sample I think, because you have instantly loop points and zero crossing slicing.

Have you checked the LPB? Each phrase “mapping” (such as the program one or the keymap one) have their own LPB setting

Okay, this is probably still wrong but I think it is a bit more quantised. I have 2 patterns now, one with a tidy phrase and another with the same phrase but with all the slices beat-synced. Changes all the pitches so that’s probably not good. First pattern sounds pretty close to the metronome now.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByHG3G9Jf3tZbklqR3dsTHNiOG8

Dude, you had enabled beat-sync for all the samples. This makes them snap to the length specified in the Sample Properties

Otherwise, it’s good

Okay, this is probably still wrong but I think it is a bit more quantised. I have 2 patterns now, one with a tidy phrase and another with the same phrase but with all the slices beat-synced. Changes all the pitches so that’s probably not good. First pattern sounds pretty close to the metronome now.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByHG3G9Jf3tZbklqR3dsTHNiOG8

Yes that is close enough! I have to learn to chop better

Hmm, I say there should be a tiny little bass line with that guitar though :slight_smile:

Attachment 6689 not found.

[Edit:] Glad you like the little ditty getit. Inspiration is important :slight_smile: Don’t think danoise is impressed though. Takes a lot to impress danoise :unsure:

Hmm, I say there should be a tiny little bass line with that guitar though :slight_smile:
Guitar.xrns

Wow! inspiration, really impressed!