Phrases, Polyrhythm Example

Some Poly-rhythms :

3 over 2 ( 6 ‘quarter note’ / 6 ‘beat’ cycle )

2 x 3 = 6 ( 2 bars of 3 quarter notes / beats each )

3 x 2 = 6 ( 3 bars of 2 quarter notes / beats each )

3 over 4 ( 12 ‘quarter note’ / 12 ‘beat’ cycle )

3 x 4 = 12 ( 3 bars of 4 quarter notes / beats each )

4 x 3 = 12 ( 4 bars of 3 quarter notes / beats each )

5 over 4 ( 20 ‘quarter note’ / 20 ‘beat’ cycle )

4 x 5 = 20 ( 4 bars of 5 quarter notes / beats each )

5 x 4 = 20 ( 5 bars of 4 quarter notes / beats each )

6 over 4 ( 12 ‘quarter note’ / 12 ‘beat’ cycle )

2 x 6 = 12 ( 2 bars of 6 quarter notes / beats each )

3 x 4 = 12 ( 3 bars of 4 quarter notes / beats each )

7 over 4 ( 28 ‘quarter note’ / 28 ‘beat’ cycle )

4 x 7 = 28 ( 4 bars of 7 quarter notes / beats each )

7 x 4 = 28 ( 7 bars of 4 quarter notes / beats each )

9 ‘eighth notes’ / ‘half beats’ per bar over 4 ‘quarter notes’ / ‘beats’ per bar ( 36 ‘quarter note’ cycle / 36 ‘beat’ cycle )

8 x 4.5 = 36 ( 8 bars of 4.5 quarter notes / beats each, or, 8 bars of 9 eighth notes / half beats each)

9 x 4 = 36 ( 9 bars of 4 quarter notes / beats each)

Mad props to anyone with the skills to play these polyrhythms live, whether it be on keyboard, drums or maybe even ragtime style guitar.

Its so hard to count and split the left hand and right hand ( or fingers ) in that way.

The time signatures by themselves would not be polyrhythms. we have to combine the signatures to get polyrhythms. Again we to look to jazz – two or more meters:https://www.moderndrummer.com/article/january-1978-jazz-drummers-workshop-polyrhythms/

3/4 in and of itself is considered simple time as is 2/4 and 4/4

As far as playing polyrhythms on guitar, bass, keyboard, and this is related to a post I edited in this thread - my last post in the thread that simply says, “edit… etc,” and it is basically a deleted post:https://forum.renoise.com/t/how-african-polyrhythms-are-the-root-of-european-club-music/49150

Polyrhythm is really something that exists in the lands of drums and percussion - obviously, rhythm instruments. While rhythm is a big part of playing guitar I think it would be a little difficult to play two rhythms on guitar simultaneously without 3 hands.

A drummer in a rock band has two hands, and two feet. Allowing for example: a 4/4 to be played on the kick, a 6/4 on the pedal of a hat, and two hands you could theoretically play 3/4 on the snare, and hit your toms in 12/4

Now you can begin to layer the instruments over that in different time signatures if you want, but at some point you loose groove. So if the guitarist comes in with a rhythm in a completely different time, and the bassist, and the keyboardist. You have, “experimental music,” that may not groove.

Groove, and whether something is in the pocket are also things to consider with music, and polyrhythm.

A drummer in a rock band (…)

The mere mention of this made me immediately think of the late, great John Bonham, legendary drummer from Led Zeppelin.

Here’s a great example from an outtake recording of “Fool in the Rain”: (Fffffaaackin’ ell!)

He really gets going at around 1m:30s

Quite a complex blend of layers, opposing timings, shuffle and swing grooves, all flowing so damn buttery smooth and effortless… the man was a machine!

And here’s an excellent little mini-docu from the Polyphonic channel discussing what made John so bloody good:

The mere mention of this made me immediately think of the late, great John Bonham, legendary drummer from Led Zeppelin.

Here’s a great example from an outtake recording of “Fool in the Rain”: (Fffffaaackin’ ell!)

My all time favorite Zep Song!!! JB was a genius. RIP

It would be a kool #feature to be able to draw polyrhythms & odd time-signatures as #geometrical forms using the X/Y pad, into #renoise. :ph34r:

Some people here are confusing polyrytms with polymeter

Some people here are confusing polyrytms with polymeter

I hope this helpshttps://www.moderndrummer.com/article/january-1978-jazz-drummers-workshop-polyrhythms/

its a misnomer, and I was aware of it

Some people in here are confusing Masons with Freemasons & some are even confusing those with Free Macaroni & Cheese. #smh :guitar:

I hope this helpshttps://www.moderndrummer.com/article/january-1978-jazz-drummers-workshop-polyrhythms/

its a misnomer, and I was aware of it

Lack of attention lately ?