Phrases. Selection thereof.

Yes that sounds good.

I like the idea of an on/off button within the instrument. The addition of macros allows users to control the switch state from the pattern editor, although at the cost of tying up a macro just for that.

My idea is to add a phrase instrument (a Phraser[sup]tm[/sup]) that uses its own keyzone mapping for playing phrases using any of the instruments. It would work pretty much like another instance of Renoise inside of the main instance, but it would reference the instrument list of its host. That would allow all normal instruments to keep full use of their entire keyzones, eliminate the need for an on/off switch for phrases, and give performers fewer phrase containers (instruments) to deal with when doing live gigs (a phraser set up for performance could have phrases for everything all mapped across a single keyzone).

The trick would be in handling recursion, i.e. a phraser referencing itself or another phraser within a phraseā€¦ :blink:

i think iā€™d like it if the phrase editor looked (and operated) like the instrument selector, in the pattern editor window. like just a straight up list of phrases, then then you can click on it to set the key zone, etc.

this would make it easier to use a phrase select effect i think, because itā€™d be more clear the ā€œnumberā€ of the phrase, regardless of the range itā€™s keymapped to.
i mean, how else would you use phrase effects? i think it could get confusing if the lowest keymapped phrase was always phrase one.

maybe it could be a toggle with the samples list view in the instrument editor maybe? because do you need to see your list of samples and edit phrases at the same time? not sure. imo, right now the phrase edit button is in an awkward place. somewhere in that left hand box would be nice.

Now weā€™re cooking!

Great ideas.

I hate to do the ā€˜bump your own threadā€™ thing, but this has slipped back into the mists of the forum now ā€¦ I wonder if anyone out there thinks itā€™s a)viable and b)a good idea in the first place.

A show of hands, if you will.

For my workflow itā€™s essential, but it might be that Iā€™m missing a trick or that I am in some way mentally challenged ;)

So, a workaround for this problem had to be found.

For now my solution is to create aliases to my Kontakt instrument and then create phrases on those. Then you have unlimited keyzone regions without impacting on your Kontakt patch keyswitches etc.

Unwieldy but it works.

Good tip, thanksā€¦ I havenā€™t filled up the entire keyboard with phrases yet,
its good to know that whatever organizing formations I come up later will not
be restricted because of combined formations like your Kontakt example.

Count me in. Hadnā€™t noticed this thread and already discussed the topic in the other one :), but yes, being able to select the phrase independently of the entered note would make SO much sense musically and from the point of view of project/instrument management.

Absolutely need this. I was just directed here after posting essentially the same solution. Famitracker has a similar method of handling phrase masks for instruments. I need those 88! hah. I donā€™t use kontact and I like keeping my instrument bank tidy. When phrases were first introduced I was thrilled but realized that they were almost useless for my application after learning about the keyzones. Glad Iā€™m not alone on this!