Pitch No Tempo Changes

Hello… in some breakcore/jungle tracks the beat changes pitch but keeps its tempo, can you do this in renoise, I found the pitch slide up and down commands

01xx- pitch slide up (oo-ff)
02xx- pitch slide down (00-ff)

this effect would also be good on vocals if you want to make a chipmunk choir around a normal vocal.

thanx

No, it’s not possible (i.e. time-stretching, or as in this case, the opposite). The tempo always changes with the pitch in Renoise. Also with the 01xx and 02xx commands. You’ll have to use an external sample editor for this. There have been numerous requests for time-stretching, but it is hard to implement.

OK, sad…When you say “external sample editor” do you mean another program or a vst? can you name some good external sample editors for this job

thanx

Disable beatsync on your drumloop and then use sample offset commands to manually play through the sample itself, then you can use whatever pitch you want and still keep the tempo. It can sound a little rough sometimes and it definitely doesn’t work at every pitch (especially if you go to higher octaves), but maybe it’s good enough for what you need, and maybe that weird distortion is even desirable for your style of music (it worked for Goldie in his track “Terminator”).

http://illformed.org/downloads/pitchbeat.rns

http://illformed.org/downloads/pitchbeat.mp3

thanx dblue…yes the sound of the weird distortion is very desirable for the style of music I like.

How do you figure the system of your sample offset, I can see that ther is a system but are ther any “ruels” or a function that makes it easier…

I can see that it adds 4 to each new command, but it dosen go back to 0900 when it changes note, it then starts at 0940. I remember reading that 4 was a mgic number in renoise, has this to do with this?

thanx

Try the sample editor, look at the percussion structure and click at some point in the wave-area, you will see a vertical line appear, watch the lower right part of the sample editor, you will see a 9xx offset position for that marker.

Note that the larger your sample or drumpercussion, the larger the steps between different offsets will be, in case of a very long wave-file (over 2550Kbytes in size) you will notice that the offset will count for several points within the sample. (actually when the sample is 2550KB large, each offset will be within a range of 1Kbyte).

NICE… dident know that…thanx

If you notice in the first pattern it actually goes from 0900 to 09FC which plays the breakbeat all the way through.

In the second pattern I just made it a little more varied to demonstrate what else you could do. It restarts from 0940 because that’s where the snare drum in the loop hits, so I just did that to shuffle up the beat a little bit.

As far as the “system” goes there isn’t much to it really. You just have to check how long (in pattern rows) your breakbeat is while playing at the correct bpm. Let’s say your loop is 16 rows long, then you just have to spread the 09xy commands (from 0900 to 09FF) over that amount. Which might look something like this:

00 - 0900
01 - 0910
02 - 0920
03 - 0930
04 - 0940
05 - 0950
06 - 0960
07 - 0970
08 - 0980
09 - 0990
0A - 09A0
0B - 09B0
0C - 09C0
0D - 09D0
0E - 09E0
0F - 09F0

But you can see that at this bpm/speed it doesn’t give you much flexibility with the sample offsets since you’re incrementing in steps of 16, so we double it up and get:

00 - 0900
01 - 0908
02 - 0910
03 - 0918
04 - 0920
05 - 0928
06 - 0930
07 - 0938

Even that is still a bit rough, so once more we double up:

00 - 0900
01 - 0904
02 - 0908
03 - 090C
04 - 0910
05 - 0914
06 - 0918
07 - 091C

At this point we’re running at twice the bpm (340 vs 170) and twice the speed (speed 3 vs speed 6), and we’ve got a finer degree of control over the sample offset points. The more sample offsets you can squeeze in there, the better it’s gonna sound when you’re pitching the beat to more extreme levels. How complex you want/need to go is really up to you.

Edit: And yeah, vvoois already mentioned about the method for finding the exact points in your loop where the hits are, kicks, snares, etc. You will probably find that these “exact” increments (ie. always incrementing by 4) don’t always land on the optimum points in the loop. You might have to get a little more detailed with what you do to get it perfect, something like:

00 - 0900
01 - 0911
02 - 0920
03 - 0933
04 - 0941
05 - 0950
06 - 0962
07 - 0975

Live breakbeats can really be all over the place unless you groove quantise first them with some other application (like Recycle or something).

but still a lot of work to do the pitch thing in that beat dblue made…

thanx… It is starting to make sence to me…still alot to learn…It seams to be pretty important to understand the concept of bpm and song speed…better look in to that soon,

thanx again…

Yep, it can be a little too much at times, it really depends on how comfortable you are with the tracker environment. At the end of the day it’s really just about what works best for you. If you don’t feel like getting crazy with all the pattern commands, simply load the beat into something like Soundforge and pitch shift it there. ;)

dblue said " Live breakbeats can really be all over the place unless you groove quantise first them with some other application (like Recycle or something)"

would you recomand a jungle/breakcore renoise beginner to have a look at recycle and then wait a little with the offset madness?

thanx

Nah. Personally I’d recommend just getting stuck in there and having fun with Renoise. I don’t think it’ll take you that long to get comfortable with it, and you’ll probably appreciate the extra stuff you’ll learn along the way.

To be honest I’m not even absolutely sure what Recycle is capable of doing as far as “reformatting” or quantizing a loop. I’m not sure if you could import a loop to quantize it nice and tightly and then export that loop to .WAV again. I think it can only export to .REX which is gonna be useless without a VST .REX player, and then of course you lose a lot of the flexibility of just playing raw samples directly in Renoise, etc, etc. Someone else who actually uses Recycle can probably clue you in a lot more though.

ok, thanx

yes there is so many different ways of doing this,
but only a few fundementals.

every sample no matter how long or how small, is divided into 256 sections (00-ff), so it is much more like recycle than you might think!

using smaller samples gives you more access to them, an sooner than you know it, you will have those slick stretches like soundmurderer.

try making the sample offset pointers, Begin from the end.
and End at the begining. (of the section you working with)

it works very nice with snares…

also, do not Hesitate to learn the Advanced Edit area functions, that area can Seriously! save you Hours!

I meant another program, but I’m not an expert on nifty VST’s… so probably something like that exists as VST as well. As for programs I’ve used cool edit, audacity and mixmeister, but I have no idea which program has good time-stretching. I would recommend trying out Audacity since it free.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

thanx…

not sure I understand the thing aboute starting the offsets from the end to the begin, Iam not very clever at making/slicing beats yet…but I´ll defently have a look at it and the Advanced Edit area functions aswell

like this: