Play other VSTs instead of samples?

While this is true it’s not a problem Redux introduced to our workflow. If somebody doesn’t care about sharing his creations with others or issues with different platforms then let them work the way they want. Right now Redux is a shiny sportscar that’s only allowed to drive in reduced-traffic areas. :wink:

I don’t know of any instruments that allow you to use arbitrary plugin effects. The only plugin that I know of that can host other plugins is Blue Cat’s Patchwork which is designed specifically to host other plugins.

So while I understand what you want, and why… it’s not at all common, and the “shiny sportscar that’s only allowed to drive in reduced-traffic areas” is kind of ridiculous.

Also, I would prefer to drive a shiny sportscar in reduced-traffic areas because, well, less traffic :wink:

I think the point with redux is that you can very easily sample sounds (either from hardware or software instruments) using the built in record function.

Makes more sense to keep it as a sampler in its own right

I know that I could sample my instruments, but it isretrogressive. I used (only) samples in every song I made and it was great. 20 years ago … Now its time of virtual instruments. With sampling virtual instrument, I must sample (near) every pitch I would like to use in my song - waste of time and space, especially when sampling long-sounding instruments. Also I lost the ability to modulate sound of that instrument, because it is ‘hardcoded’ into a sample.

Nevermind, Redux will target its customers for sure, but sadly - it will not be useful in my workflow …

I know that I could sample my instruments, but it isretrogressive. I used (only) samples in every song I made and it was great. 20 years ago … Now its time of virtual instruments. With sampling virtual instrument, I must sample (near) every pitch I would like to use in my song - waste of time and space, especially when sampling long-sounding instruments. Also I lost the ability to modulate sound of that instrument, because it is ‘hardcoded’ into a sample.

Nevermind, Redux will target its customers for sure, but sadly - it will not be useful in my workflow …

Fair enough, I think I just love anything retro!
You do lose the ability to modulate your sounds once sampled, but you also gain an array of different processes, such as pattern-based effect commands, looping, retriggering, reversing, repitching etc…

Aren’t there other useful alternatives for MIDI? I’d say using Redux just as a MIDI sequencer would be like using a rocket launcher to kill a fly. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wouldn’t mind though, if it was possible to load VSTi’s into Redux, especially for plugin grabbing.

That these things make sharing more difficult is a bad argument i think. Using VSTi’s is a choice and people that uses VSTi’s in the first place in their projects wouldn’t be able to share it anyway. The choice would have been between using the VSTi with or without Redux.

Using samples in this age is much more handy than it was 20 years ago, now that we have lots of space on our harddrives and enough memory to handle high quality samples. There are endless possibilities with samples while there are limited possibilities with a virtual instrument.

^I second that, a huge part of vst synths are wavetable synths anyway, asampler in which you can’t even see the sample your working with.

I’d say using Redux just as a MIDI sequencer would be like using a rocket launcher to kill a fly. :stuck_out_tongue:

Don’t tell me you wouldn’t want to try this at least once… :smiley:

Also, I would prefer to drive a shiny sportscar in reduced-traffic areas because, well, less traffic :wink:

To be fair, it’s better than no sportscar at all, so… :wink: So I guess the best route to take (ha!) for me will be creating 2-/4-pattern demos in Renoise and then export all the VSTi’s to use them in Redux (in Ableton).

I so agree with msk here. I’d really love this hybrid way of working. I would absolutely love to have Redux as a tracker based drum sequencer to use with EZDrummer or Superior Drummer, and linear (?) sequencing for everything else. IMO a tracker is so easy to use for programming drums and the routing possibilities in Renoise are awesome for use with Superior Drummer, in that you can have a track for each instrument (kick, snare, overheads etc.) and have different effects on each individual track, AND group all of them to have group bus effects. To have this power directly in my DAW would be amazing. I’m old and set in my ways and have a hard time wrapping my head around various work-arounds :slight_smile:

Please, please, please consider this!! :wink:

Is it somehow possible to use other VSTs as sound source for Redux instead of samples? So far I haven’t found a way to do this… :unsure:

Can you use a VST inside a VST? Like a plugin inside a plugin? I didn’t know that’s possible.

Can you use a VST inside a VST? Like a plugin inside a plugin? I didn’t know that’s possible.

Yes its possible. EnergyXT worked like this.

This could be cool. Additionally, being able to use VST effects in FX chains would also be huge IMO!

Bump for this!