Polyphonic Step Editing

Hey…

I am new to Renoise… I usually work in Logic Pro X, but I have used trackers more than 20 years ago, when they first became popular on the Amiga and the Atari ST.

Now, one of the things that I loved about the old trackers(at least some of them) was the ability to HEAR simultaniously all the current tones on all the tracks while doing step editing.

For example lets say I have C-3 on track 1, F-3 on track 2, A-3 on track 3, and then I want to add an additional harmony on track 4. When I play D-4(for an example) on track four, I can immediately hear the resulting harmony between track 1-2-3-4… not by pressing play, but just by adding the note I immediately hear the tones from all channels.

Unfortunately on most modern trackers I don’t find this feature. For me this is like THE single most important feature in a tracker.

Is this possible in Renoise?

You mean play on edit mode? +1 for that! Maybe you should suggest it in the proper sub forum.

You mean play on edit mode? +1 for that! Maybe you should suggest it in the proper sub forum.

Yeah, I guess that’s what it is called. Play on edit(all channels), but only playing the step that you are adding a note to.

If this is not possible in Renoise, then I don’t think I’ll be using more time on this tracker…

You are of course welcome to suggest this in other parts of the forum… but I think that’s it for me, I’ll be looking at other step sequencers for what I am after.

Thanks…

Nice little feature, better than enter that i dont really use…

Unfortunately on most modern trackers I don’t find this feature. For me this is like THE single most important feature in a tracker.

Closest thing in Renoise is Enter (default shortcut), which will play the selected line.

Might require pressing the arrow up key between “attempts”, but works with & without edit mode enabled (so you could find the matching note and then enable edit mode to record it).

Didn’t know that, nice. But an option on/off would be even better…

Closest thing in Renoise is Enter (default shortcut), which will play the selected line.

Might require pressing the arrow up key between “attempts”, but works with & without edit mode enabled (so you could find the matching note and then enable edit mode to record it).

I didn’t know that one. That’s better than nothing, but still quite far from being as effective.

Thanks a lot for the tip.