Poor Performance Under Linux

For some reason, Renoise’s performance under linux is much worse on this computer than it is with windows (vista). I am running Arch Linux, and have tried both JACK and ALSA. With JACK, the program is unusable. It uses a ton of CPU and playback doesn’t sound right. (scratchy and distorted) I am sure that with the proper jack settings this could be fixed, but I haven’t been able to figure it out yet.

With ALSA, everything seems to work fine, but CPU usage is much higher that what I experienced on the same computer with Windows. I understand how the systems work differently, but I haven’t really seen other people complaining of similar problems, so I thought I might be missing some setting somewhere.

As I said before, I am using ArchLinux, with alsa and jack. I am using the laptop’s crapppppppy onboard audio (conexant?)

I don’t get this poor performance with other Linux audio tools (audacity, ardour, PD)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I might go about tweaking this system to get better performance from renoise?

Thanks

1. have you set up Renoise to use realtime threads? (look into preferences)
  2. have you tried setting ALSA periods to 3?
  3. are you using a realtime kernel? not mandatory, but can help in these situations

read more at Setting Up Linux

1 yes
2 yes
3 no… but I’m working on it :)

thanks for the reply