Poweruser.cfg

I hope it will be bash with a lot of regular expressions :lol:

Ew.

Regex rocks… just learn PERL or Python for your own sanity dude.

The purpose is what?
Will it help me to make music?

If you have to ask, chances are “no” ;)

“poweruser.cfg” sounds so scary, and also kinda arrogant. can it be “those_curious_people_who_invent_all_the_good_stuff_as_well_as_cures_for_the_diseases_complacency_breeds.cfg”?

:o

Renoise already has a config file. all we’d need is a documentation the options that cannot be set via the GUI (if there are any of those yet) and - make more of those options! no need for a separate file really?

That kinda depends on what would be configurable…

Hidden settings in the xml would make more sense.
Let’s make music, people.

So it seems the little laughing smiley didn’t do its job this time either?! But thanks for telling me anyway. :panic:

Likely, the scripting language
Used in Renoise 2.6 will be
Announced a bit before the release.
I think it would be wise to do
This, so people will have time to
Initiate themselves to the
Scripting basics.

sorry for the continue carriage returns,
i’m on VI from a low-resolution terminal

ah lol, it thought you were giving a hint ‘LUAITIS’.
Maybe it’s an anagram? :o

Anyways, PERL would be friggin awesome. ^_^

I think it is smarter to catch IT’s disease than getting yourself prePERLed instead.

Lua it is.

I’m guessing Python

the sooner this gets revealed the sooner people can start learning the basics

Yeah, I don’t think a cfg file makes as much sense as the API which is already pre-announced. The dev team has enough to cope with without having to deal with supporting a bunch of back-end stuff that only a couple of people will use.

If they expose the features with an API then the onus for supporting the power user case is on the power user, which is where it should be. I would rather the devs spend their time on improving the experience for a large number of users and just give power users enough power to fend for themselves.

P.S. Py-thon! Py-THON!

It’s not Python.

Dang it!

then WHAT? :blink:

Not really a secret: will be LUA. Mainly because of its excellent performance compared with other scripting languages - and we might use it in performance critical areas, while still being a nice, do “whatever you want” and easy to learn language. Of course LUA also has its disadvantages, but every language has…

Ok then!

(googles LUA)

Are you sure? Reading something that is hardcoded from a config file instead seems not only simple, but also simpler than exposing it via an API… which wouldn’t even make sense. For example, the “allow routing to previous tracks” thing bytesmasher is so horny for… why would you need scripts to be able to toggle that on and off while Renoise is running? It’s a config thing…

Fact 1: there is no one-size-fits-all solution. Less so the more complex Renoise becomes.

Fact 2: making something configurable via the GUI normally takes more effort than reading it from a file.

My conclusion from these two facts: to save the devs time, let us config stuff. (“power users” could then write a GUI for the advanced options hah)

Another thing to consider… not only is it simpler to read the config at program start, instead of these things being reconfigurable while Renoise is running… for some things the later might very well not even be possible, because the stuff has to be set up, memory allocated etc. at program start.