Preview Xnrs Before Loading.

I have a big folder of unfinished renoise songs, and i don’t always label them in a way that would help me remember what they are, so when I’m trying to find an old song, I have to load up each file to see which it is.

I was wondering if there’s a way, in the file/open song window, if it’s possible to prehear tracks before loading them.

I suspect this a prebuilt framework(?) within the os, so maybe not, but maybe with leopard’s quicklook, there might be some way on osx?

thanks a lot.

If that’s possible, I’d give my left nut for that option for the same reason!

http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?sho…c=16423&hl=

^ hero

although the time it takes to render and re-render after updating a
track costs probably as much time as loading and playing the xrns file.

but still, very nifty trick, cheers!

You can also render a selection of patterns or sequences to disk:

Selection in Sequence
or Selection in Pattern

I know. It’s not helping me preview a track though. :(
At least, not from Renoise. Plus, you keep updating renders.

Other then rendering a part of a track for later previewing, you could somewhat ‘preview’ a track by pressing the + button next to the songname in the diskop and simply trigger some samples out of it (if there are any). So you globally get an idea of what you were working on.

It seems kind of unrealistic to me to incorporate a complete pre-hearing system with possible vst(i) + external midi-instruments in songs.

yeah, I suppose it’s not an easy thing to do. Even so, would be handy if there’s some way to make it work. Even just a very rough low quality version of the song.

I thought the idea was just previewing how the song sounds like, not knowing exactly how it fully is.
If you want to keep updating that is ofcourse your own choice.

I would just pick a very full and recognisable pattern that sounds inspiring and render that.
This is just also to motivate me more to load it and continue where i left so pick a pattern that makes you consider it really worth to continue working on the song.

That’s right vV! As i come from Digibooster (Amiga) the first sampleslot was always empty.
so when I first transfered them to Renoise I made it a habit to render the part where I got stuck.
now I do this with all my tunes, this way you can simply load the song where you have an instant idea for.

everybody knows that ideas must be worked out quickly before they look meaningless or the ‘feeling’ just works out…or you simply forget.

For me, hearing the latest version IS the motivation… I guess xrns previewing is not
and should not be that much of a priority. It’s all luxury problems and lazyness. ;)