Problem with selecting patterns with middle mouse button

Hello, new Renoise user here, so far having a real good time, just one thing that’s bugging me about changing patterns with the mouse without triggering playback.
I found this old thread: Select Pattern With Mouse Without Playing In Pattern Sequencer

But for me the middle mouse button just does the same thing as the normal left mouse button click.
I’ve tried MMB functions in other applications and they all work fine, the problem seems to be with Renoise.

Anyone else have trouble with this?

I’m using Renoise 3.0, and OSX Mavericks 10.9.2

Not sure where the middle mouse button thing comes into play, but…

If you want to edit one pattern while playing another:

• Enable the option: Preferences > Pattern Sequencer > Separate edit & play positions
  • Disable Pattern Follow in the Transport Panel (default key: Scroll Lock)
  • Play your song, then scroll to another pattern in the sequencer that you wish to edit.

Scrolling through patterns in the sequencer is the best way to change patterns without interrupting playback (when using the options above). Clicking the sequencer buttons will just result in different queueing or playing behaviours, which probably explains the issues you were running into before.

Alternatively, if the Pattern Matrix is visible, then you can also double-click track blocks to jump directly to that particular bit of pattern content.

Ah, I totally misread the original answer. Thanks so much for your more thorough explanation though! Very appreciated :guitar: