Putting Drums To A Guitar Piece?

Hi there!

A friend of mine send me a piece he played on his guitar and asked me if I could put some drums on it.
Now I can try to figure out how long my patterns need to be by just adding a lot and see where they end and then take some off and the take some lines off etc etc.
But is there a faster way to calculate how many patterns/lines you will need?
I’m still no pro if it comes to BPM and speed so any help with this would be more than welcome :)
(my friend didnt know what …beat? he played in cause he played on his feeling) (damn thats a crappy sentence)

i’ve been asked to do a similar thing. unless you programme the drums without a constant bpm in manually in audition or similar (which will probably take forever) you need to warp the track to a constant tempo. you can do this with ableton live. if anybody knows of other software for just doing this i’d like to hear it.

It is usually a huge pain in the ass to add sequenced/tracked drums on top of live material which will naturally drift all over the place. My advice? Save yourself a headache and a lot of wasted time, and get your friend to re-record the guitar piece while he plays along with a fixed metronome of some kind. He doesn’t have to play like a robot, he can still put feeling into his playing, but in most cases he should base his playing around a fixed tempo.

(edit: genfu beat me to it :) )

Re-record it at a fixed bpm would be the best solution.
but you can also chop the riff in the instrument editor and place notes on every 2/4/8th line and then change the tempo till it sounds natural.

I use this way for fast guitar riffs that I can’t play that fast :P

but it kills your sound quality.

Its f’n drone :’)
I think Ill just play it with my trusty td6 drumkit :P
Thanks for the advices.

BTW GENFU!
How do you do that trick in ableton?
Ive got ableton but never used it before, it might come in handy :)

im not actually that savy with ableton to be honest, but the warp tool is what you have to use to syncronise music for ableton live dj sets. i got kinda bored with it quite quickly because it took ages to map warp points to anything that wasnt techno or house and a digital file (ie. not one recorded from vinyl). basically it works by working your way through the track and dragging ‘warp points’ which correlelate to regular points in a bpm scale. so if you were doing it with a guitar track not recorded to a metronome, you’d need to drag a ‘warp-point’ stick for every single start of a bar. then ableton ‘warps’ the track so that it fits to a metronome by time stretching various bits (retaining pitch) as if the track was a rubber band.

if you google ableton live djing or ‘setting warp markers’ you should find some tutorials on it, there are one or two videos on youtube which explain it fairly well. you will need to use the manual technique for something like a guitar track though, the auto-map warp point thing only works for boring 4/4 house type stuff. ahem…