Quality Of Renoise Effects?

Just want to comment this after evaluation of your suggestions (Thanks again!). I’ve purchased FabFilter EQ, limiter and compressor. I am using Voxengo freebies OldSkoolVerb, Stereo Touch and purchased VoxFormer. The only Renoise effect I used in my last song was Exciter.

Reasons for choosing commercial plugins:

1. Great sounding presets. Immediatly made me a better signer and guitarist :)

2. Some features not available in Renoise plugins. For example graphic analyzer, playing just selected frequencies, auto-makeup etc.

3. Great tutorials that teach you tricks that really improve the sound. For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSNYBbPAvKE&feature=relmfu

Probably I could get as good results with Renoise plugins if I was more experienced in mixing with “better ears”. And Renoise is still an excellent DAW, works like a charm with these plugins.

Here is something I just mixed with Fab and Voxengo. Feel free to disagree, maybe this is just rubbish anyway? :) I am a newbie mix engineer, so I probably made a lot of mistakes here still, but I really think these plugins are guiding me to the right direction. Definitely worth few hundred bucks (could have spent it worse).

http://soundcloud.com/tomi-tuomainen/whats-the-news-2012

I have lots of paid and free plugins in use, but still find use for internal effects. Exciter and LofiMat are great, filter often gets the job done and is fast to use, cabsim I often use after another amp and cab sim :) Distortion is too simple, but sometimes in use just because of that - so fast to dial in and I can always later replace it with something else.

Modulation effects I never use. I have much better and much more comfortable to use alternatives. Reverbs are pretty much the only thing I really hate. Especially the normal Reverb is almost a joke. Does anyone actually use it?

Most built-in effects in DAWs these days focus on a balance of sounding just good enough, while not using a ton of cpu. Many third party effects sound better but will often use a lot more cpu in my experience.

That is true. Although this is probably not an issue with a modern four core processor. I can add about 20 plugins in my 30 track song and the usage is about 30%. I am using also software synths, bass and drums. My workstation is not very expensive one, pretty standard i7 Win7 workstation.

That’s also very true depending on what plugins you’re using, but I’m mainly talking about the newest plugins like Aether and Diva that can use 40-50% cpu even on a lot of current machines…I was just trying to put it in simple terms since this is the beginners section.

The only VST I use is W1 limitor. If renoise had a better limitor I’d be happy. It’s really lame having to dual boot into windows 7 just to use a pretty basic plugin like that. Maybe a better engineers filter to real cut out freqs. There aren’t any commercial VST’s that I care about anymore.