Quantise Options

Hi,

I was checking out the quantise options for live recording. I read how Renoise is accurate to 1/256 of a line when recordng, but if you enable quantise it then is accurate to a line which is a bit of a brutal difference, especially when recording live. Are you able to add options so that the quantise can be set a little finer? I’m guessing something like …

Quantise Off
(1/256 of a line)

Quantise On
1/128
1/64
1/32
Etc. …
1 line
3 and onwards

Thanks,
DPi.

yep, quantizing is a limited affair right now for smaller than 1 values, or I’m missing something? Anyways, maybe this tool helps in that regard? Never used it myself: New Tools: Iterative Quantize And Groove Tool

edit: I’m talking about iterative quantize tool, also in that post :)

Interesting tool, especially for creating grooves, but for live playing it’s desperately calling out for something accurate where it sub divides the whole note quantise length based on the BPM, be it a half, quarter, eighth note lengths etc. At the moment, the jump from 1/256th to a 1 is just far too great.

The line quantise as it is at the moment is great for percussion, but if you want to record in live and have Renoise auto-quantise as you play in, whilst retaining that ‘human’ element to the playing, it just can’t do that at the moment. Hopefully something like that is a possible simple addition?

I noticed reading the info on the 2.7 beta that the editing in the DSP stuff now divides in a similar way, from 1 line sized changes, all the way down to 1/256th of a line, so hopefully this is possible for quantise too.

Please ? :)

Good suggestion. +1

+1great idea!

bump

Is there any chance of what I mentioned above being added to the quantise options?

Crosses fingers :)

Devs, is this an easy addition?

I love using Renoise, but recording in via midi is too brutal at a quantize step of just 1 whole note (all the human feel is lost) and I’m not an accurate enough player leaving quantize off (or 1/256th note) where it can sound like my mix is falling down the stairs. This would be a great tool where the delay command would work perfectly quantizing live or post recording. Like I mention above, steps ranging from as low as quantize off (1/256th) through to sub divisions all the way up to the whole note for both note on and off’s would be a really nice (and hopefully simple) addition.

I suppose this idea could be further expanded to the step editor too, for auto sub-divisions of a note via the delay without the need to increase the lines/beat for those that like to enter note data in manually, whilst avoiding having their pattern data flying along. Just a thought.

Thanks.

I believe Quantisation is measured in Lines, not Beats, but even though that instantly give you more resolution even on default setting sub-line quantisation would be a nice addition. Even more important, impo, is the addition of unquantised note-length, so that note offs are not always tied to the same positions as note ons.

Yes, I was referring to the actual name of the function within Renoise. Also, I believe that an unquantised note length is 1/256th (I listed some ideas above) and this should definitely apply to the note offs too. The way the quantisation works at the moment is pretty limited considering you can either have it turned off (i.e. 1/256th of a line) or turn it on where it quantises to a line or greater. The jump from 1/256 to 1 is just far too great, for both live quantising or post.

Could it also be added to the step editor? Could it work on a similar principle, so if you had note step set to 1/4 of a line, as you go to move from line to line it increased the delay value to the appropriate amount. So as you tried moving from line 1 it would add delay values of a quarter of a note until on the 4th key press it moved to line 2. Could this work? Even if this example isn’t entirely practical, it would be really handy for quantising at least.