Quantized help.

First of all, hello all, this is my first post and I am very exicted to be a proud owner of my first ever paid for program RENOISE !!

Can someone please explain to me how Renoise quantizers notes ? I know how to turn it on, but I am used to setting it to 16 bars, 8 bars, 4 etc…I read the manual and when i put it on 16 it doesn’t have the same effect as usual ??

I realise it is probably something simple, but this being the first time I have used a interface like this I am sure it is not unusual :slight_smile:

I don’t thinkquantizers means what you think it means.

I don’t think quantizers means what you think it means.

That’s a big help, very informitive :wink:
I know what it means, I use it all the time in Fruity. But unlike other sequencers which let you choose your quantize rate in bars or steps such as 16ths, 8ths, etc…Renoise seems to do it differently, can someone explain to me how it works within Renoise ?

From the manual 'When recording notes “live”, by default they will be recorded with the highest possible precision using the Note Delay column in the Pattern Editor. The note delay column allows you to delay notes with a precision of 1/256th of a line.

If you do not want to precisely record your notes, you can let Renoise quantize them either in real-time or after recording something. This is done with the quantize controls in the Pattern Editor control bar:

The “Q” button enables or disables live quantization, while the value box to the right specifies the quantization value in lines. Use the drop down menu next to the value box to manually quantize a range within the current pattern after recording.

I guess my point is I have never used this kind of tracker style method before so I was wondering what the difference is when using quantize in relation to lines ?

Well, i have used lots of stuff before also and quantize was never set in ‘16 bars’ and such. Maybe 16th notes. Sorry my confusion.

You’ve got the idea. You set it to the lines you want to quantise to. The default LPB (lines per beat) is 4. If you set quantise to 1 (ie every line) it is the same as 16th note quantisation 2 would be 8th note.

Not sure if the comments helped clear it up for Dustin, so let me try:

Quantized notes are notes which have been set to specific value steps, as opposed as to how they were precisely played. This is the musical equivalent of snap-to-grid in graphical tools. Quantized notes can have their precise tone corrected (often this is an issue in analogue synthesis), their precise beat stepping corrected (what is typically under discussion here) or some other parameters I won’t bother going into now.

The big question is what resolution will you use for the quantized note? If it’s tone height, you could do it to a particular musical scale, or to quarter tones, or cents, or whatever. If it’s rhythmic, you could use whole notes, quarter notes, beats, 16th notes, or some other measure.

In the case of Renoise, this is done by lines of entered notes. This is logical, because of Renoise’s tracker heritage. The effective resolution is then based on how many lines per beat you configured in your song. If you have one line per beat, every note will be precisely on a beat. If it’s nine lines per beat, it’ll be broken down by ninths of a beat.

I think that there is a switch to get tighter resolution, but I’m not sure off the top of my head. The explanation above should get you started.

Thanks Artinods and Jan for actually responding with an answer :slight_smile:

I got it sorted, I was correct in my confusion as 1 is 16th’s 2 8ths,s etc. I was setting it to 16 and getting vary different results as you would setting 16ths on Fruity Loops. I chopped a break, set it to 1 and presto, just what I needed. I’m slowly learning to love this program each day, wonderful stuff.

Cheers.

You’re welcome.

I suppose it’s only fair to mention that the notion of a bar is rather tenuous in connection with trackers. For instance, if you want 6 beats to the bar, and 32nd notes on each line, then each bar would be 192 lines long. That’s quite viable, and there’s no real reason why you couldn’t do that. If you’re doing a really complex work full of trills and carefully controlled arpeggiation, then each sequence pattern might correspond to a single bar, and a three minute aria might be a hundred or more patterns.

It all comes down to what you need.