Question On Improved Resolution

I have read some of the posts on the improved resolution planned for renoise, when this is implemented I am wondering if it will make the equivalent of the following possible?

For some beats I have made I have found that by using 5 lines per beat in the pattern editor allows for some intresting rhythms. Ideally it would be good to run a track with 5lpb (lines per beat) next to a track with 4lpb (and the corresponding number of ticks). This would allow more complex rhythms generally, especially if many different combinations were allowed.
I realise that with more ticks planned then note placement in combinations like above would be a possibility but would it not mean that the ticks per beat would have to be divisible by factors of 4, 5, and any other number you wanted to divide the beat by?

With the planned resolution of 256 ticks per line (from what Ive read) = 1024 ticks per beat @ 4lpb. This is obviously not divisible by 5 but Im guessing with this resolution it is pretty much impossible to distinguish a decimally off note placement at a reasonable speed?

The question is really will note placements have to be worked out to the nearest tick if you want rhythms corrresponding to the above explanation + would it be possible to make it exact (+ fairly intuitive as the current tick system is)?

We’re not planning to allow different LPB for each track, but with the pattern zoom feature (see another large thread) it should be a lot easier to do this kind of thing. You’d have to zoom differently when editing different parts of your polyrythm, but I think it’ll be managable.

When it comes to accuracy, nobody will hear the difference. It will be max one half delaytick, which is quite small.

Have read through the post you mentioned and have thought of something that may be helpful to me (situation mentioned above) and another couple of the users on that thread. It would be an option like interpolate works now but instead of ranging numbers between two fixed values it would highlight or give the values for equal divisions of a user defined number within a set range.

i.e. you could set a range between two lines/ tick lines, specify that you wanted it to be split into 5 equal notelengths press this function button and the values appear in the delay column. Then you simply place the notes you want next to these values as normal in the note column.

The advantage of this is that different parts of the same track can be used and split up differently, (rather than defining the number of rows you would like at the zoom level) so you could define a split of 4 notes over one range in the track and later in the same track define 5. This would save calculating to the nearest tick what delay you require as renoise would do it for you.

You could even define a split of 23 if your rhythms required it! :)

The limit would obviously be 256 splits at 4lpb between two lines but change with different lpb

to fit a 5lpb rhythm into a 4lpb one, just demultiply you pattern speed/BPM as it will go to 5*4=20lpb.

some examples:
if you’re using speed 02, make BPM 5 times faster and use speed 10.

If you can’t raise the BPM until that number try with 2.5*BPM and speed 05 and use note retrigs and note delays so that every note will be separated by 4 ticks.

Using such techniques, you can at least use the full present ReNoise resolution, which after all is not so discrete.

And btw, the new advancededit will have expand and shrink by any integer,
or combined to stretch your notes by any rational ratio A/B.
And flexible quantize features. And more… B)

martinal, you are vitiating us :)

I remember the good old days when I where expanding patterns by 2.5 factor by hand… now I’m using block expanding a lot… and now you say there will be expanding by any integer… :wub:

a suggestion/question: will this feature make use of note delay command?
this way, you could even let people expand by 0.5 steps

Thanks IT-Alien, had thought about this workaround and may use it if required in the near future for the situation I described.

Martinal, am looking forward to the new features that you mention, hopefully all types of polyrhyrhms will become as simple as the addition of triplet rhythms are now :)

It-Alien: yes it will use the delay. So any ratio X/Y where X and Y are integers will be possible and accurate to one delaytick.

Using real decimal numbers like 1.234 isn’t a problem to do either, but is it useful?

a resolution of 1/10 is more than we would ever need.

but what if you want to stretch one track by 0.0001? :P

rational ratios ( x / y ) should be enough for everybody.