Quick replace instrument number (or better yet...)

I love the new 3.1 features. But one drawback is practically a deal-killer for me… that this plugin:

https://www.renoise.com/tools/convert-instrument-number

is no longer compatible. While I would prefer having tracks mapped 1:1 with instruments, this is probably due to me using Renoise unlike other users, or at least unlike the developers, and I accept that. But a very common workflow process for me is taking a phrase from one track and moving it to another track. Like having the melody from section A switch from strings to flute for section B. It’s also really useful to audition a phrase with different instruments–maybe these chords sound better with the voice pad than with piano.

The only solution I’ve found is the find-replace plugin, which is only marginally faster than just typing in the new instrument numbers for each note. It’s become so cumbersome that I don’t really even use this process in my composition anymore.

The ideal solution for me would be to have a default instrument per track (optional, for users who don’t like this) and when a phrase is pasted in, it automatically assigns all notes to the track’s default instrument. The auto-capture first instrument is kind of a stopgap solution for those of us who keep instruments mapped to specitic channels, so this would be taking it to the next level.

In the meantime, I would be overjoyed for a command to replace selection with current instrument number. Thanks for your consideration.

Sir, could I just point out that I’ve just quickly tried Ledgers (nice fellow btw) V3.0 tool in Renoise 3.1 and it seems fine, seems to work? I think the API number in the manifest just needs upgrading (but Renoise would probably auto upgrade this for you anyway) :slight_smile:

I’ve just quickly tried Ledgers V3.0 tool in Renoise 3.1 and it seems fine

Yeah, it was suggested that the tools page would highlight/tag tools that are known to work in newer versions of Renoise

The ideal solution for me would be to have a default instrument per track ( optional, for users who don’t like this ) and when a phrase is pasted in, it automatically assigns all notes to the track’s default instrument. The auto-capture first instrument is kind of a stopgap solution for those of us who keep instruments mapped to specitic channels, so this would be taking it to the next level.

I’ve been wondering about the best approach, and think it should work like this:

Link track and instrument by assigning the exact same name.
Because, names are very descriptive, and your eyes scan over them constantly,

Edit: I am going offtopic, rest is located here

Sir, could I just point out that I’ve just quickly tried Ledgers V3.0 tool in Renoise 3.1 and it seems fine, seems to work? I think the API number in the manifest just needs upgrading (but Renoise would probably auto upgrade this for you anyway) :slight_smile:

I’ll give this a try… I could have sworn it rejected it when I first tried, but maybe with some text changes I can get it to work.

Link track and instrument by assigning the exact same name.

I would buy myself a second copy of Renoise on the spot if it had this. Brilliant solution.

But what does linking mean?

When a track and instrument are linked, switching either one would select any similarly-named track or instrument, and renaming could update both as well.
The actual picking up of the instrument could be fully automatic (akin to auto-capture), or manual via some shortcut.

Isn’t this pretty much sufficient for such a workflow? https://forum.renoise.com/t/tool-3-1-capture-track-from-instrument/34036

If you enable this feature together with the native auto-capture instrument from track, you get a pretty tight integration of tracks/instruments.

edit: still offtopic, lookhere

What about simply setting an integer on a track to link it with that instrument’s number? Default would be -1 and unlinked (current behavior). A hotkey and right-click menu item could be something like “link this track to current instrument” and “unlink track from instrument” if it’s already linked. I know this is additional UI, but I would venture it’s less complicated than the wildcard matching etc. Would also be faster for the user.

In the meantime, I would be overjoyed for a command to replace selection with current instrument number. Thanks for your consideration.

Advanced edit → Remap instruments

Advanced edit → Remap instruments

Thanks for pointing this out, it’s something I hadn’t used before. It’s not quite what I am looking for though, because of how many clicks it takes to set all instrument values. I don’t need this level of fine control since I never use different instruments within any single track, so having to change both the Src and Dest instrument every time is too cumbersome (much like find & replace).

https://www.renoise.com/tools/convert-instrument-number

Is a million times better than the built-in facility but still pretty annoying if you are trying to audition a part with many different instruments. Would love to see a way to lock instrument to track. I want to be able to move parts around in the matrix and have the instrument numbers change automatically to suit the new track. As long as i don’t have to reassign instrument values I’d be happy.

Thanks for pointing this out, it’s something I hadn’t used before. It’s not quite what I am looking for though, because of how many clicks it takes to set all instrument values. I don’t need this level of fine control since I never use different instruments within any single track, so having to change both the Src and Dest instrument every time is too cumbersome (much like find & replace).

Yes. I’m making an “increase/decrease instrument number” shortcut, similar to how transpose shortcuts work (alt-f2 is + 1 for blocks, shift-f2 is +1 for tracks). A very simple and stupid shortcut, but fitting a fast workflow much better than any buttoned interface.

EDIT:

Here is a tool adding shortcuts for increasing/decreasing instrument number: https://forum.renoise.com/t/new-tool-3-1-instrument-value-shortcuts/46055

Yes. I’m making an “increase/decrease instrument number” shortcut, similar to how transpose shortcuts work (alt-f2 is + 1 for blocks, shift-f2 is +1 for tracks). A very simple and stupid shortcut, but fitting a fast workflow much better than any buttoned interface.

EDIT:

Here is a tool adding shortcuts for increasing/decreasing instrument number. It’s currently per track only, found in “Pattern Editor:Track Operations:Increase instrument value”. Will add block operations and column operations as well.

attachicon.gifjoule.no0b.InstrumentValueShortcuts.xrnx

You, sir, are my hero. Mapped this to Alt-Numpad -/+ and it works like a charm.

I just started getting familiar with Lua and the Renoise API, and you have inspired me to build a command to get my second-most missed feature of modern Renoise, “Set loop block to within cursor position, enable loop, and begin playback”