Radium - a better(?) tracker...

Sorry but Radium is a mess, there is no real doc, no real webpage, no real forum, no community, the author does not really care for anything but his own microcosmos, it does not run really on Mac, he does not care for any standards or conventions. His source code looks quite messy, he does not care. Yes, it is super nice from concept and everything seems to work already, but I don’t want to use a crashing, buggy linux-like behaving software in macos or windows. So after watching this for 3 years now, I am pretty sure this won’t change in future, too. This software just is too autistic.

I do agree on this thought though…it’s not a well designed software, just well conceptualized and somewhat fine with implementation. No wonder it’s not exactly taking off. His ideas are ambitious but even simple things like skinning or a better GUI pallette is totally absent on the way Renoise does it.

Taktik’s talent lies in a good designer’s eye combined with pro grade coding skills, now if he only had a consistent team to work with as a proper company, pretty much the feature set of Radium can be baked in. But Taktik’s brilliance is not just the obvious but the oblivious too, he knows what to leave out, just like a great writer, it’s not what is put in but rather what is left out that makes a craft so perfect in execution. This is a thing to remind us all who use Renoise, regardless of how much we forum members remain enemies to each other personally, that Taktik is a smart guy and his tool works very well indeed. No need to complain for updates on every this and that when the bulk is stable and rock solid. The competition ain’t got much firepower on this though, even if they might have better managements and events and a far older legacy than Renoise.

1 Like

Start spreading luv, instead of #hate, bruh! #nohomo :walkman: :guitar: :yeah:

Well, it is more friendly to call a software autistic rather than a person. Why should I love Renoise, and what does that # all the time mean? Your stupid images and animations suck.

I’ve tried it a few times, it’s quite cool and the Pure Data integration is fun if you’re in to that. Like the others have said though, I found it difficult, fiddly and confusing in places but it’s got a lot going for it. I don’t like the dev’s attitude and approach though, there was some attention on a linux forum a year or two ago, as far as I remember the kxstudio guy was interested in packaging it but the way it all unfolded made the dev seem like he purposely crippled the build process with loads of messy scripts as if he wanted it to be open source but didn’t actually want anyone to be able to build it themselves. I guess that is his choice but I lost interest in it.

fuck rented software

1 Like

I use Office 365… I need the package offered, so I pay the yearly fee. I also subscribe to Amazon, Spotify, Netflix… It’s just the way things are right now.
Would I like Renoise or any other software package to involve an annual or monthly fee? Hell no. But if a developer sees his product merits such a paying method… why not? It’s his fucking product. If he tanks it… welll… bad luck.

for me, it makes a difference about rent entertainment such as spotify, games or software where i spend a lot of time to understand the program for implement my ideas.

i would like to decide for myself for upgrades, buy a new computer or use an old version for my old computer without internet connection
In particular, the invisible time, my “skills” are lost if the manufacturer no longer offers to rent his software or takes it from the cloud

yes the developer can do what he wants, it his work, but fortunately i do not have to go to any shit

Radium doen’t look as FLAT as renoise .

Therefore I shall not summon it .

Nuff said

[edited]

Some people R just begging 4 a little bit uv luv in their pity lives; its really #heartbreaking :mellow:

What does a visible waveform provide you?

What studio in the history of audio mixing has needed a visible waveform per-channel in order to perform great mix engineering? I’ll tell you: none of them, of course. This has never been a part of mixing,

I believe it’s common to work with multiple loops or outside material and edit, stretch, shift and groove extract. A visible waveform is useful for that workflow. Performers in a studio naturally don’t need the same treatment that samples from disparate sources might need.

I’ve also seen visible waveforms be useful for workflows like fixing sibilants in a voice recording.

fuck rented software

If you have this reaction he hasn’t done a good job of marketing, but the dev writes “You choose the sum yourself. The small sum (€2,00 EUR) is perfectly fine for a subscription, but if you plan to unsubscribe immedately after downloading, please pay one of the larger amounts instead (at least €10,00 EUR).”

1 Like

Ugh, why don’t the waveforms fade in from the centre instead of the left?

It’s interesting but some stuff like integrated pd doesn’t exist on Windows. …and using Jack on Windows? No thanks.

Offtopic… no one cares about your personal grieves

Ontopic:
I use Office 365… I need the package offered, so I pay the yearly fee. I also subscribe to Amazon, Spotify, Netflix… It’s just the way things are right now.
Would I like Renoise or any other software package to involve an annual or monthly fee? Hell no. But if a developer sees his product merits such a paying method… why not? It’s his fucking product. If he tanks it… welll… bad luck.

Neither do I about your entire merry band of losers and posers. Also no one in the any of the well established market places or ANY publishers(Elsevier, Hal Leonard, Focal Press etc) I contacted have ANY interests in Renoise at all, which means they don’t care. Not surprisingly I was ‘wrongly’ interested in doing a book on this, but now I have all the best reasons in the world not too. So stay uncared for buggers :slight_smile: This part of the world is best left undiscovered so that the ‘majority’ of the populace stay safe from this ridiculous forums filled with 95% noob babblings where a simple sentence being put together is a highly improbable thing(‘long posts, you gotta be kidding, with grammer and all??Eruditeness has resulted in sublimation…’). And to think of it my Kids would hang out with this sort, hell no. Like a nude resort filled with freaks and unlaid buggers, it’s best to be simply forgotten about.

You see the best the best part of hanging out in the hacking and malware and underground forums as well as places like StackOverfloe or even Reddit, is that any one over there can mine ‘intelligence’ and cross reference information. It’s a huge difference when we discover a new botnet or exploit pack or try to sinkhole a new set of ips etc…we also end up doing a service to ourselves by keeping a track of things and helping out other intelligence teams do their shit…

Out here its just ‘mining stupidity’, not intelligence. Get it? Blokes like me hang out here just for killing time, very much similar to visiting a local shopping mall and visiting the toilet and pissing over there in the bathroom on the pee bowl, so my job is not to clean anything but rather express my conveniences.

Also @Sqeetz, your ‘watch’ stopped working long long time ago…so do not think that your version of a forum coup matters to me in anyway; a small cult is more like it, reminds me of ‘he is one of us’ group slogan from a famous freak movie, I would not be, thank you very much.

Breakpoint Festival got closed down many years back btw, and one sentence I like about their reason, ‘we are getting old’. That is pretty much the reason why turds like you exist. When was the last time you took part in a proper Demoscene compo in Revision, Assembly, Evoke and others eh?

And why is no one is able to answer my question on Demoscene participation? I surmise becos there ain’t many at all and it’s no way a representation of how things are in the real world…

When we hang out with our types we work towards a presentation or paper or a project or N number of open source codes and research etc, what goes on her3?? All this useless chit chat over a 68 euro software used by by an aging demographic who rarely ever particupate where the real action and legacy is…

I actually feel relieved when I read all those Demoparty media that the word ‘Renoise’ does-knot even exist…phew, at least I can safely consider what is irrelevant, becos now this pathetic attempts of creating a debacle for me, simply evaporate into nothingness…

Btw, just for sake of transparency, I wanted to post your rather funny attempts at gaining attention only to get rebuffed…

"Sqeetz, on 25 Feb 2018 - 01:50, said:

So… has the great hacker found my soundcloud account? Is it destruction time already?

Me: Sorry to disappoint you but actually not interested to check or listen or critique or comment…

my mood is off(the Hook…!!)."

Please get that gasmask off…

Now the best way to not get rebuffed is to just stfu.

ONTopic:

Subscriptions are ways to take money from you. I have cancelled most of my subscriptions becos I have Kodi as well as loads of real world entertainment like world travelling, huge libraries, real women, sports, meetups, hangouts etc with actual people and not bits and bytes on the screen…

If Renoise was subscriptionware I would not have purchased it. License ware is better. Makes paying an incentive. The last thing I want is in the middle of a project or say the next morning, the software tells me that you need to pay to use and open your project…major shucks…I would rather work on an older version and be reminded that a newer version exists…if features I don’t want don’t matter, I don’t need to buy.

Going with the flow is not a good thing especially in todays time…

Ever purchased a guitar on a subscription or a piano? lOL…The next morning I pick up my guitar and the string won’t play and tell me ‘you gotta pay’. Haha…

One thing is for sure, Renoise won’t increase your musician ship no more than using Logic or Cubase will, it’s just a writing board or a blank canvas, the painting or music comes from everything around it, not in it as an absolute. A good investment on a real instrument is lifelong…no subscription needed.

EDIT: I am on Quora for the past few years apart from underground forums, and I was looking to check out some music based digital subculture forumz that is all. Outstanding experience over there given that it’s a very successful and ‘widely known’ digital QnA place. Just to make a point here, some posts over at Quora go to a books length, just the nature of us guys btw…and we really seem to care about it, mostly cos we can! Also we are the majority…

Last time I checked:

“In March of 2016 Adam D’Angelo stated[1] that Quora had 100 million monthly active users worldwide. That was up from 80 million in 2015.”

Quora Alexa rank 134. Renoise.com rank 238,516…long shot by a mile.

Renoise.com major demographic USA, UK, Germany,Czech and Sweden. 20% each for USA and UK.

Judging by the tone and ‘thought merit’ of whatever passes for posts here, excluding Germany(cos I luv it so much) and Sweden, I strongly suspect that these asinine posts keep coming from the land of Trump. But that part is sorted, I genuinely don’t like USA as many other folks I know for a TON of reasons…so have fun while I(and the world) watch USA burn…(to @dblue before he uses his ‘fine-toothed comb filter’: not hate speech in ANY way)

Personal note to myself : Victor you are peeing on the wrong tree, even if others might be barking at the wrong one… LMFAO

Renoise as a software in isolation is fine though.

( mod edit: split the off-topic discussion to a new thread. cleaned up some stuff. please try to stick to the subject at hand, guys. thanks! )

ONTopic:

Subscriptions are ways to take money from you. I have cancelled most of my subscriptions becos I have Kodi as well as loads of real world entertainment like world travelling, huge libraries, real women, sports, meetups, hangouts etc with actual people and not bits and bytes on the screen…

If Renoise was subscriptionware I would not have purchased it. License ware is better. Makes paying an incentive. The last thing I want is in the middle of a project or say the next morning, the software tells me that you need to pay to use and open your project…major shucks…I would rather work on an older version and be reminded that a newer version exists…if features I don’t want don’t matter, I don’t need to buy.

Going with the flow is not a good thing especially in todays time…

Ever purchased a guitar on a subscription or a piano? lOL…The next morning I pick up my guitar and the string won’t play and tell me ‘you gotta pay’. Haha…

One thing is for sure, Renoise won’t increase your musician ship no more than using Logic or Cubase will, it’s just a writing board or a blank canvas, the painting or music comes from everything around it, not in it as an absolute. A good investment on a real instrument is lifelong…no subscription needed.

@dblue: Let’s have some fun while it lasts…

I thought so, too. But now I understand that there are different kind of subscription models. As long as you are allowed to continue to use the software (just like here, or bitwig), I don’t see a problem anymore. It also has some obvious advantages, e. G. Bitwig : you can pause your subscription, if it ran out. And then later again subscribe, when the feature arrives you wanted so much. I like that. It brings some stabilized income for the devs and flexibily for the user. Ok, that would be the case with a normal updates selling, too, but I think such kind of fair subscription brings motivation to the devs, which I will also benefit from.

The worst subscription model of course is Adobe. That only works for quasi monopolists.

Back to topic, radium maybe works fine on windows, but for Mac retina, it is not usable at all. So what’s the point of a non working software.

The subscription fee is for the Updates. When you stop subscribing, you still OWN the software up to the last update. You are still able to use that particular software version forever, just can’t get new updates anymore.

You basically can buy Radium for 2$. Subscribe for a month, download the latest version, unsubscribe.

Then this version is yours forever for 2$. Clear enough?

Yeah, I don’t get people complaining about Radium’s subscription model, it’s pretty much the fairest one I’ve come across. You get to keep the software in whatever state it was in when you stop your subscription, and the sub is cheap. I really want to love Radium but can’t seem to get into it. It’s probably the kind of thing that’s easier to pick up if you’re not familiar with tracking and aren’t set in your ways - the paradigm is just too different, feels alien and uncomfortable and there aren’t quite enough customisation options for me to make it feel more like Renoise. I got a years subscription a few months ago, mainly because I wanted to support this kind of development, but I don’t find myself dipping into it very often. It’s certainly very interesting software though, and updated very frequently.

Yo, I was going to say that last time I checked radium looked a bit buggy, having problems with jack and other things. It reminds me of another project called M4G tracker. Looked like it was going to be a simple but awesome FM synthesis tracker but in the end in was a coders project that was on the wrong platform and would take too much time and effort to complete. I’d say with one noteable exception ( sunvox - nightradio ) you need a larger team to write decent trackers. One guy is not usually enough. Probably a team of ten or more with investment is necessary. Then again, if you are an awesome programmer it is possible. Sunvox has proved to be awesome as fuck, there are other nice one man projects around the place as well…deflemask, that new FM composer, nanoloop etc…but they cant compete with renoise and sunvox.

Having said this, I would say good luck to the radium developer. I like the concept a lot but it just looks unfinished, buggy and rough around the edges last time I checked. He is one of the first to try and tackle the vertical waveforms and audiotracks in a tracker pattern editor problem though, so good luck to him. My main point is that building a tracker is not a menial task at all and will require a large team to get it finished in time.

I’m a user of Renoise for several years … Radium is a different beast. As a user of both I can say that despite the fact that in this stage of developing the sampler is protogenic compared to Renoise music synthesis on Radium is more straightforward … For example in step note editing and you can hear all previous tracks so its easier to make harmonies or any edits without the need playing of playing back the song and return again to step edit The original trackers philosophy was exactly what Radium has succeeded in it and its more natural tracker evolution than a DAW with tracker editing capabilities … .

Some of my songs are Radiumdemo songs and through them you can see how powerful this tracker is.

Watch the following videos … songs are made with Radium

Here all instruments are made with only one sample…

1 Like

Sent the developer an email stating I’m finally gonna dive in after subscribing to Radium for 4 months without using it. His response:

“Good luck with that”

Ouch.

Needless to say I never open it anymore…