Random Rediculous Music Skills

Last time I saw him live (yeaaaars ago) he had short black hair… weird…

legolas laying down some sick linear grooves!

agreed!

Terry Bozzio being able to play Zappa’s infamous Black Page is quite rediculous in itself. i do wonder if he really needs that many drums.

quite another kind of rediculous music skills are featured here (extra enjoyment for Dutch people here, as they can understand the lyrics as well!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei2767apmdo

a quick translation would go something like:
i am Rinus and i am from the Friese (area in NL) land, rietsiebie, rietsiebaa, rietsieboem!
i see the girls i don’t have myself under control, rietsiebie, rietsiebaa, rietsieboem!
because when i saw that girl standing in her stall, i knew for sure i wanted to date her, rietsiebie, rietsiebaa, rietsieboem! (2x)
i’m in love with the girl from the donut (oliebollen) stall, rietsiebie, rietsiebaa, rietsieboem!
when i see her my heart starts beating faster, rietsiebie, rietsiebaa, rietsieboem!
saw her on the carnival, i will never forget her, rietsiebie, rietsiebaa, rietsieboem! (2x)

ok i’m done translating. that shit is obviously genius. his dancing skills are sick as well.

Sometimes very talented people can find that reining in their talent to serve a higher conceptual idea a very useful. Choose something and play it well.

I like Porcupine Tree in this regard, lotsa talent, but not too showy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XspR65gDRE

Well not as much talented as a 3yr old drummer, but still a lot of fun to watch:

Also reminding me one of the most feared problems a conductor can experience: a terrible nose-itch that doesn’t go away :P

let kids be kids, encourage, but they’ll find their way if it’s meant to be. i got all the ‘classical’ training…but…

…and this guy has been my ‘mentor’ (& EC) since…what? when I was 15…my reason for being
B)

Every time i think i’m getting mad skills at guitar, i go online and check out a video of tommy emmanuel or chet atkins or something. Keeps the ego in check :) And makes you realize it shouldn’t be so gigantic in the first place :P

But i have to agree with the poster who said that creating is a whole other talent. As i progressed and got better and better at playing guitar the last few years, it got harder and harder to make music. I got kinda stuck trying to create everything from at technical standpoint. When i look at people like Steve Vai and Dream Theater, it really makes me realize that that can be the end result of a lifetime of practice. And that’s scary.

This one rocks (original)

and see the cover … awesome

beautiful … ^_^

absolutely. this is pure and good music for the sake of it :drummer: + :guitar: = :walkman:
Nothing sucks more than too much :yeah: showy ditty, it’s been to overused

I know exactly what you mean, but I don’t think following a technical lead (may it be Vai or Satriani or whoever) will grow your musical skills, though they will grow your technicall skill, no question.
Don’t get me wrong these guys are awesome in their way… but it goes way to much into a rather competitive run for… I don’t know… just thinking I sometimes hear Admiral Ackbar yelling in my ear: “It’s a trap!” :w00t:

Hahaha, excactly :D To me it takes on the form of sports after a while. I think Dream Theater are a prime example of people who have taken it to far. For me, a concert video with them is like watching the 100 yard dash. It lacks heart. And then people like Bon Iver and Bob Dylan can play on all my heart strings, and they can’t play for shit :D

amazing bass skills!

I like how this guys produces overtones on the bass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqo_CePv7Pg

THAT’S how you play one of those. I thought it was a plucked instrument, I had one when I was a kid.

Jel is just insane.

Well, I ran across Dub FX a while ago, but watched the video again the other day and I strongly feel he deserves a place on this list.

Pretty amazing! If you think about it, this guy can track with his feet!

@hektic: pretty cool. the two people who are watching from the beginning only move away when the girl turns up with the CDs. he should really drop that shit, or do more interaction with the girl like a dance or whatever. but that’s a bunch of bullshit because i could never do what he does, so respect.

now, i haven’t followed this thread to the letter, but i believe no-one posted this (obvious) one:

Skip to 2:00 if you’re impatient:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxg1AoEz9p4

Sorry if this is a double post but this is a classic.

And a nice follow up, the guy is blessed.