Random

what about an LFO Device smooth Random oscillator with a setting for the transition time between random values?

also, please bring back the generate random envelope button in the automation tab, if possible.

thanks.

yes. but i think this should be part of a more general LFO overhaul, because other people have made reasonable suggestions for the LFO device in other threads as well. but this one, yes, very much.

(in the 2.7 beta 5 thread, taktik said that we should not be expecting new features to be added at this stage in the beta, so not sure if this one was posted in the right forum…)

Adding inertia (similar to the Filter inertia) to the LFO output could indeed be very interesting. I think it would be very useful for all modes, not just random, so it’d be nice to have it available on the whole device.

Like a sample and hold? +1

no, not like sample and hold, more like inertia. but sample and hold might be interesting too.

i am going to check the other suggestions for the LFO device.

ha, just found this one while searching for inertia: https://forum.renoise.com/t/suggestions-inertia-and-renameable-dsps/18066 has the exact same suggestion: inertia setting for the LFO device… but that was 2006 i think.

could someone explain to me exactly what the inertia is? i’ve never fully understood it and thus do not understand how exactly it would apply to the LFO device?

the manual says “Inertia: Determines how fast parameter changes are applied. Low Inertia will create sweeping effects by noticeably sliding from one parameter setting to another. This can be useful to soften the effect of cutoff changes applied to sounds with mostly low frequencies.”

well it is like when you make fast sudden changes to a parameter, even when you make jumps from one value to another, the more inertia the more smooth this transition between values will be.i dont know, was that clear?

so what about this generate random envelope button in the automation tab? i really miss this button.

thanks, that explains a lot. i have tried out the various inertia sliders, but i could never really hear their effect. logical, since i did not try to change settings after setting the inertia to a different value. i can now see why it would be useful for the LFO.

about your other suggestion: i do not know why it was removed, so someone from the dev-team should explain that. i never really used it because it was a bit too random for my taste (i’d like it to be random but more stretched out, so to speak, not everything in 1 place), but i don’t see why it should not come back.

This example should hopefully make it a bit more obvious:
1919 dblue-renoise-inertia-demo.xrns

You can clearly hear how increasing the inertia transforms the instant filter cutoff changes into smoother flowing changes instead. Now if you imagine this type of fuctionality applied directly to the output of the LFO itself, we would be able to get similar interesting behaviours when modulating other device parameters. (Well, within certain practical limits)

You can now get to this function via the context menu: Process > Create Random Points

This might be slightly less convenient for some, but is the need to create random envelope points really common enough to require it’s own dedicated button? Probably not?

@dblue: thank you, that example makes it more than obvious. in fact, could it not be considered to add files like this, and other good ones, to tutorials.renoise.com ? it’s a lot more understandable than a piece of text. would greatly improve the online manual, imo.

Oooooh yes deifnitely plus one on this.

oh, i havent noticed that. i thought this feature was completely gone. this is perfectly sufficient.
thank you.

indeed, i don’t like the right-click/process stuff either…

Inertia for LFO, at least on Random, is an idea I have always fully supported. +loads!

so how about that feature for renoise 2.8? is it too late again? my timing seems to be off again.

I’ve recently suggested it’s added to the Hydra, whose job it is to somehow adapt incoming signals (as well as distribute to multiple places) although not sure that’s really an argument to not have it within the LFO too…

inertia in the lfo would still be nice, but what you suggest will also work fine for me.

How about inertia metadevice, so we can have inertia everywhere? We could have inertia shape in addition to amount there that would control f.ex. how the change of the value slows down and accelerates according to how far current value is from the slider position.