Record instruments to specific tracks?

I have instrument plugins being played by note patterns sent over OSC via Supercollider. SC sends patterns to specific instruments, but while in Renoise, I can only record these patterns to whichever track I currently have selected. Is there a way to tie instruments to specific tracks and record them simultaneously to have the patterns separated?

I have instrument plugins being played by note patterns sent over OSC via Supercollider. SC sends patterns to specific instruments, but while in Renoise, I can only record these patterns to whichever track I currently have selected. Is there a way to tie instruments to specific tracks and record them simultaneously to have the patterns separated?

Yes!Through OSC it is possible to route any instrument to any track, independently of the selected instrument and independently of the selected track! This behavior can be modified in the tool itself, thanks to the Renoise API and OSC.But the basis of the tool must be designed to be able to achieve it…

Precisely, I have been building a big tool for weeks that plays with this very widely.

Among other features, this behavior allows you to record different instruments in different tracks simultaneously, even several notes at a time (chords) of the same instrument…In my performance tests, I have managed to record up to 16 tracks at the same time, on the same line. But, controlling this is quite complicated. If they are 2 or 3 tracks with 2 or 3 instruments it would be reasonable.The more data moved, and worse hardware, there may be problems of accuracy.

To make a practical idea, you can create a tool, press only a “multiple note” trigger button, and through OSC, record several different notes of different instruments on different tracks simultaneously, as the song progresses.

Some results can be very beastly, and putting limitations on this kind of tools can be very complicated.All this may seem surprising, but I assure you that it is perfectly possible.

I have instrument plugins being played by note patterns sent over OSC via Supercollider.

Sounds like you are invoking the Renoise OSC server directly, through GlobalOscActions?

https://github.com/renoise/xrnx/blob/master/GlobalOscActions.lua#L21

As Raul points out, realtime messages support routing to specific tracks and instruments

But you can also send “regular” MIDI over OSC, and instead, route the plugins to specific tracks in the instrument MIDI tab.

For some reason of non-divine orderI thought that Supercollider was a script tool ^_^.But no, it’s another external program compatible with OSC, as it is Ossia.

---- Realtime Messages
 /renoise/trigger/midi(message(u/int32/64))
 /renoise/trigger/note_on(instr(int32/64), track(int32/64), note(int32/64), velocity(int32/64))
 /renoise/trigger/note_off(instr(int32/64), track(int32/64), note(int32/64))

I have never used an external program for OSC. But I suppose that defining the instrument index and track index is sufficient, and it must coincide both in note_on and in note_off for correct operation.I suppose that OSC will be prepared to no return an error if a track or instrument is invoked that does not exist (that is, it will not do anything).

I suppose that

You can see the action taken in the Preferences > OSC “log” window.

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.