Recording From Keyboard To Automation

Hi folks,

I’m new to the Renoise family - if not synthesis. I’ve just purchased it after lurking, fiddling and otherwise prevaricating over its purchase for… um… years.

And holy crap it’s come a long way. Loving it. Utterly loving it.

Anyway - I’m writing decent drums for the first time in my life due to Renoise and Sugarbytes Effectrix vst effect. Lovely combination. However, I’m clearly missing a trick with the automation.

Effectrix allows you to use a keyboard to move to different effect patterns. However, while I can obviously record note patterns for instruments, I have no idea how to route these midi messages to effects. Is this possible, or do I need to find a workaround? I’ve probably missed something along the way.

The ‘search’ here didn’t produce appropriate topics so I apologise if it’s really obvious, or a well-worn question.

Thanks for any help!

-D

• Load the VST effect as usual.
  • Go to a new instrument slot and expand the plugin instruments list as if you were going to load a VST synth.
  • At the top of the list you’ll see a category named ‘VST FX Alias’. Expand this and load the FX alias for the effect you want to control.
  • You now have an instrument which is linked to the effect, so that any notes you play will be sent to the effect. This will let you change patterns in Effectrix.

More info here:
http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Instrument_Settings#Plugin_FX_Aliases_.28routing_MIDI_to_existing_plugin_effects.29

Aha! Perfect! Thanks so much. It makes perfect sense, too, which I like.