Recording Vst-instruments Live And Solo

In Renoise, when I want to record the audio of something live, I can select the inputs of my soundcard to record f.ex. my voice or an external synthesizer, and capture it while playing. But if it’s a VST-instrument I can’t do the same thing and record it solo unless I have a soundcard with multiple outs (f.ex. by sending the VST-instruments to output 3-4 of my soundcard and recording this signal).

Is there a way in Renoise (regardless of soundcard and soundcard-drivers) to record the audio of one of it’s track solo and live? I don’t want to capture it by recording midi and use “render selection to sample”, because the pitchbend/modulation stuff will be quantized and the feeling will be lost when recording midi to the patterns (in this tracker-world we’re stuck with).

My suggestion (unless I’ve missed some other solution) is to be able to select the current track as a recording-source. Then I could select my VST-instrument, hit record, play my ass off and have a nice live recording of what I just played without the need to hassle with soundcards and mixers.

So is there a way to do record vst-instruments live and solo, that I don’t know of?

A mock-up always helps to understand what I’m suggesting. The idea is to be able to record stuff from a Renoise-track. Maybe it could be solved / designed in a better way, I don’t think I have the perfect solution at all, I’m curious to hear what you think.

+1 I would love this sort of thing.

Native Instruments ability to run standalone is great when used with Jack (I haven’t checked to see if it can be Rewired, that I doubt).

From time to time, I apply that method when I want to record a performance or record an odd glitch in Reaktor’s on button. The on button is not recognized at all as something you can automate (unless I missed something).

+1 for having the option to record a live performance playing a vst instead of rendering the programmed notes and automations.

+15

I do this all the time through Jack, but cross platform direct approach would rock!