Redux: Why does first hit sound different?

I noticed that after loading a Redux instrument the first time i hit a note it sounds different. Also the same thing happens the first time i hit two notes, same with three and four and so on. Is this supposed to happen?

It’s very noticeable in this instrument:http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/files/file/286-ultrasaw/

When working with detuned oscillators, as you trigger the first note they will all have the same starting point (phase) and then drift apart.

This would usually be the case, always, when triggering new notes in a purely sample based instrument.

But since you are using the modulation AM filter in that preset it seems to happen onlythe first time - as the AM will continue it’s free oscillation from that point onward.

I guess, in order to avoid that initial spike we would need some way of randomizing the initial phase.

So AM is the way how to create free running oscillators?

i highly need this redux stuff in renoise… :frowning:

When working with detuned oscillators, as you trigger the first note they will all have the same starting point (phase) and then drift apart.

This would usually be the case, always, when triggering new notes in a purely sample based instrument.

But since you are using the modulation AM filter in that preset it seems to happen onlythe first time - as the AM will continue it’s free oscillation from that point onward.

I guess, in order to avoid that initial spike we would need some way of randomizing the initial phase.

Is there a way to stop its free oscillation, so i get this effect every time i trigger a note? I guess i could just use samples for this, but it would be very nice to be able to get this effect with the waveform filters. The best solution the way i see it is to add a “Phase” parameter to the waveform filters and while you’re doing that you might as well add a ramp waveform for some cool PWM trickery. :smiley:

… and while you’re doing that you might as well add a ramp waveform for some cool PWM trickery. :smiley:

Luckily because of math or something, you can cause a ring modulater’s internal waveform to invert by multiplying with a negative input. If you change your DC offset to negative (draw it at the bottom on the waveform display instead of the top) and use the saw in the a.m. filter, there you go. Controling pitch from the offset might be weird (I’d have to mess with it), but shouldn’t be a problem from the filter.

Is there a way to stop its free oscillation, so i get this effect every time i trigger a note?

Nope, but if we had such a thing I guess it should referred to as “sync”.

Right now, it’s “free”. And I suggested “random”.

I seem to love quotation marks.

Luckily because of math or something, you can cause a ring modulater’s internal waveform to invert by multiplying with a negative input. If you change your DC offset to negative (draw it at the bottom on the waveform display instead of the top) and use the saw in the a.m. filter, there you go. Controling pitch from the offset might be weird (I’d have to mess with it), but shouldn’t be a problem from the filter.

I’ve tried this earlier, but couldn’t get it to sound the way i wanted. Haven’t tried it with the filters, but it’s not very useful if you can’t change it’s phase is it?

I’ve tried this earlier, but couldn’t get it to sound the way i wanted. Haven’t tried it with the filters, but it’s not very useful if you can’t change it’s phase is it?

Naw, I’m with you on the phase thing. The a.m. filter is probably a better osc stand in as it is now, but less good as a waveform manipulator because it is unpredictable. So, it’s a feature with a trade-off. I was only saying that it can already make a ramp wave with a dc offset input to the am/rm carrier setup just as easily as it can produce a saw wave.

But my true feeling is that if people want built in oscillators so much, why accomadate via ring mod improvements? Just stick the oscillators in the front where they go, you know. Maybe I don’t get it on this one… :D, the ring mod synths…

But my true feeling is that if people want built in oscillators so much, why accomadate via ring mod improvements? Just stick the oscillators in the front where they go, you know. Maybe I don’t get it on this one… :D, the ring mod synths…

I would definately not mind if we had some real oscillators that could be used as an alternative to samples, but untill we get some of those we’ll have to work with what we got. :slight_smile: