Render To Sample...

This would be perfect!

I would rather have a dialog where you can set the settings for rendering (could be the same dialog as ‘render to disk’ but with additional settings for selection rendering).
We could have options like include/exclude master, bitrate, samplerate, interpolation and perhaps also a tail option (will render after the selection until a silence threshold is reached).
Then you have two hotkeys, one to render directly as now, and another to render with dialog box.

Only if we can set these options as default so we don’t have to re-chose them every time we render to sample

Of course.

:D

NO!

i just noticed that it does include the master stuff and already thought it was a bug until i remembered this thread…

What are your arguments on this?
I can imagine that anyone would like to render the sound “as you hear it”.
especially when selecting more than one track.

Render to sample is mainly used for putting it back to song. That means it gets the effects in master twice.

good one, very good one.

i think the main arguement is the poll result of this thread, which should pretty much rebut your presumption that anyone would like to render the sound “as you hear” it.
and of course logically/technically, it’s exactly what suva said above.

it should definately not include master fx.
if you render a sample then use it in a pattern it would have the master fx applied twice because it would already be applied to the sound and then once more when it goes through DSP on the master track.

Wow… didn’t even realize this little thread of mine was getting that much attention. Good to know people take this kinda stuff seriously =)

Also effects on the track it was rendered from would be applied twice when the rendered contents are played in the same track. So this is a global argument and does not apply to the master track only.

So technically speaking we need a toggle somewhere (Advanced Edit perhaps):Apply fx during Render to sample.
But why would we render? To disable effects that actually consume too much cpu?

We need a freeze function. That is the best argument.

i would like to ask
what is resolution of rendered stuf 44100?
could be problem if you are working with 48000?

NO. If I render a track with track dsp-effects on then I’ll probably make another track with no effects for new instrument. Maybe I even delete the track which I rendered because now I have all my effects applied to new sample. I cannot create another ‘pure’ master track or delete the effects on master because other tracks still need them.

I render to sample parts of my song.
I can’t sample a freezed track. Freezing and rendering are very different.

While a freeze function would be nice too, i’m using the render to sample function for simple one shot effects from synths in my song. When it’s triggered only a few times in the song, there is no need to have the overhead from a VST. Also i’m using it for sound design, drop a few effects on a channel, render, put sample back, play more with effects, render and so on. I’m aware that one could use the “process Track DSPs” button in the sample editor, but i have to insert a guessed amount of silence first, to get proper tails rendered. It’s much easier to just select a part in the pattern and render it.

Regarding the master effects, one also has to consider, that when one has something like a compressor or limiter on it, the sound of the master output changes depending on how much channels are played at the same time through it. Say i render a kick, it will sound probably different if played alone or with a snare or even more stuff layered. This doesn’t make any sense to me at all.

Edit: Some things about freeze, i’d really like that, because one can freeze a whole song to a still workable state. If i had a snippet lying around a while and uninstalled or sold some of the used VSTs, i could still further work on the track. It’s also a pretty fine addition for backup purposes.

I don’t think freezing is an adequate replacement for proper render-to-sample options. I want freezing badly, but I’d still use render to sample. Cheers to taktik btw for fixing the sample render volume issue.

I also think we badly need a “render VST instrument to sample instrument” option.

who can deskribe, about render to sample resolution and bit rate?
44100 16 ? or it depends…

I had downloaded a tool for that which was recommended here some time ago…
Aha…
I forgot the name, but i remember again:
Extreme Sample Converter