Render To Wav: Internal Bitrate

Firstly, I’ll note that most vst/i perform differently depending on what bitrate they are running at…almost always the higher the better, except that some have compatibility issues. I was thinking it would be nice to be able to render and downsample to a “compatible” bitrate that my soundcard can handle for some of the software that is capable of ridiculously high rates to get some higher quality processing… however renoise will only internally render samples to the maximum my soundcard is capable of;
When rendering it would appear from my experimentation that renoise will process the sounds at whatever bitrate the soundcard is set to in the settings, and then convert to a different bitrate as it exports it, rather than both processing and exporting at the bitrate selected in the render window.
It would be nice if there was another drop down menu in the render to sample section where one could select the bitrate renoise is running the vst/i at as well as the current one to change output file bitrate…

Cheers.

Why do i have the idea you say bitrate while you most likely mean frequency?

Anyway, Renoise does not involve your soundcard’s settings when rendering, but it is true that if you match the frequency your soundcard is at and then pick cubic interpolation 32-bit as output, you will most likely have the exact same output as Renoise plays it… If you deviate from that, audible changes may be noticable.

Specially Arguru’s Sinc can output very audible changes compared to the played model. (Renoise internal play interpolation is cubic).

If you render to disk, you can select the bitrate, frequency and interpolation type as well as that you can toggle the “Selection in pattern” option.
It would make things a bit easier if the direct render to sample feature could also allow you to change these rendering aspects.

Thanks for entirely avoiding the question as usual. I’m not here to argue with you but I will say that I definitely get a different output if soundcard output is set to 96khz and render set to 44.1kz than if soundcard & render both use 44.1khz, as an example, and whats more the first scenario sounds EXACTLY as it would sound if everything is set 96 and then downsampled as an after effect. This is blatantly obvious as some plugins have specifically identifiable glitches that occur at different rates.

Now, besides your nitpicking and the above rebuttal: YOU DIDN’T ANSWER MY QUESTION TO BEGIN WITH, JUST GAVE ME SOME DAMNED OBVIOUS ADVICE.
I want to know if you guys can make renoise work at a higher internal rate than my soundcard is capable of, not enter into a debate of terminology and penis size.

shiiiieeeet pickle

Renoise renders to the setting you ask Renoise to do (As Bantai already showed).
Renoise reports its operating frequency to the plugins and plugins should respond to that by enabling it.
If you give a Render order, the plugins should change to the frequency and bitrate Renoise submits at the plugin at that moment.

If the plugin does not support or switch to either requested bitrate or frequency:you get audio differences and that is what you might experience.
If a plugin can only stream 44Khz audio and you ask Renoise to render at 96Khz, you get a different output, that is not really a glitch in the plugin but merely a limitation of the plugin. The same goes if a plugin is being asked to change its frequency for rendering but does not obey because it only sets its own frequency during initial loading (The programmer of the plugin never foresaw this kind of situations can exist).

-Plugins have limitations which a host hardly can circumvent
-Not all plugins obey proper guidelines set by Steinberg.

These situations causes irritation for loads of plugin users and host programmers as well because they make bugtracking complicated but also the processing of plugins.

If problems regarding different operating frequencies and bitrates should be overruled, plugins should in return, report their current operating frequency and bitrate. This might make it possible to do some quick post processing on a 44Khz fed signal to convert to 96Khz if that is the render mode (or downgrade 96Khz to 44Khz).
If FFT routines have to be implemented to estimate the plugins output frequency and bit rate as well, rendering will probably take ages.
Only Taktik can give his insight on this matter.