Rendering And Ping Pong

Hi there,

My two suggestions of the day are:

1 - when rendering in realtime, there should be an option to monitor the output, it mutes everything while rendering at the minute, this means i can’t make final tweaks with all my hardware/play with my synth controls as im going to disk. this would be most fun!! and also… my computer is fine when playing back my tunes in realtime, no glitches etc… but when i render to disk and open up the individual tracks in another daw, its glitchy as hell - unusable. i take it that what is happening is that my desktop SATA 7200 rpm drive is not quick enough to write all the individual tracks in realtime, so… could there be an option to select groups of tracks to render at a time instead of all at once?? so my drive can cope a bit more.

i’ve been getting around this by muting a lot of tracks, and then rendering, and then doing the next lot, and so on… and it seems to work but… if you could hear everything while it is rendering, and select which tracks you want to actually render, this would be the most powerful, and fairly easy to implement i suspect???

2 - ping pong in the sample editor… i’ve never found ping pong in trackers very useable - i love the idea of it but, even if i use zero points i still get a little click as it ping pongs the sample, and i think I know why…

observe:

here’s a waveform

----------xxx-----------------xxx-----------------xxx-----------------xxx-----------
--------xx—xx-------------xx—xx-------------xx—xx-------------xx—xx---------
-------x-------x-----------x-------x-----------x-------x-----------x-------x--------
------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0-------
-----x-----------x-------x-----------x-------x-----------x-------x-----------x------
—xx-------------xx—xx-------------xx—xx-------------xx—xx-------------xx----
xxx-----------------xxx-----------------xxx-----------------xxx-----------------xxx-

if i ping pong at a sensible zero point, the result would be this:

--------forward-----------!----------backwards----------!-----------forward---------
----------xxx-------------!-------------xxx-------------!-------------xxx-----------
--------xx—xx-----------!-----------xx—xx-----------!-----------xx—xx---------
-------x-------x----------!----------x-------x----------!----------x-------x--------
------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0------- ETC ETC
-----x-----------x-------x!x-------x-----------x-------x!x-------x-----------x------
—xx-------------xx—xx-!-xx—xx-------------xx—xx-!-xx—xx-------------xx----
xxx-----------------xxx—!---xxx-----------------xxx—!---xxx-----------------xxx-

at the exclamation mark, the waveform does not continue as i’d have hoped, and its a bit annoying and it means i cant get a smooth ping pong. can we have an option so that everytime a ping pong marker hits, it reverses the polarity of the wave? then this would mean the wave shape would be nice and smooth at the ping pong points

hence:

resultant wave:
ping pong points = !

blah–!----------forward------------!-backwards(reverse-polarity)-!-----forward-----
------!—xxx-----------------xxx—!-------------xxx-------------!—xxx-----------
------!-xx—xx-------------xx—xx-!-----------xx—xx-----------!-xx—xx---------
------!x-------x-----------x-------x!----------x-------x----------!x-------x-------- ETC ETC ETC
------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0---------0-------
-----x!----------x-------x----------!x-------x-----------x-------x!----------x------
—xx-!-----------xx—xx-----------!-xx—xx-------------xx—xx-!-----------xx----
xxx—!-------------xxx-------------!—xxx-----------------xxx—!-------------xxx-

NICE SMOOTH WAVE WITH NO ANNOYING SCHIZZLE!!!

cool??

N.B. obviously this looks a bit pointless with the wave i have drawn but its just a representation - imagine it to be a big wave with lots of info in the middle, i’m sure this would make the ping pong points sound invisible

It would give a nice smooth result assuming the waveform itself is perfectly balanced and equal in terms of its phase and DC offset, etc., but there would be many situations where reversing/inverting the sample would produce completely unwanted results, so this is definitely not the proper approach imho (although still a very interesting concept).

In your example you would be better off simply placing your loop points on the waveform peaks instead of the zero crossings. (I do this all the time myself and it usually works great)

Like so:

----------xxx-----------------x!x-----------------xxx-----------------x!x-----------
--------xx—xx-------------xx-!-xx-------------xx—xx-------------xx-!-xx---------
-------x-------x-----------x—!—x-----------x-------x-----------x—!—x--------
------0---------0---------0----!----0---------0---------0---------0----!----0-------
-----x-----------x-------x-----!-----x-------x-----------x-------x-----!-----x------
—xx-------------xx—xx------!------xx—xx-------------xx—xx------!------xx----
xxx-----------------xxx--------!--------xxx-----------------xxx--------!--------xxx-

ahhhhh,

:rolleyes:

ive never thought of doing it that way, that’s actually really simple! DOH!! i’ll give it a go, thanks dblue!!