Renoise 1.27 beta1 is available

ok, now i’m really encountering serious trouble with this new version, which began as soon as i switched from default directsound to my common 1.26’ish ASIO settings.
i’m using the same latancies, bufferlenghts, samplerate, etc. but the only thing i get when trying to play a 1.26-written song is a frozen, continous sound-loop (goes like “frrrrrrrr-rrrrr-rrrrr-…”) resulting in a stalled operating system which only wants to respond every 30 seconds for a few moments.
from that point on, it takes ages to enter the task manager in which i then try my hardest to close the non-responsive renoise.exe.
i still have 1.26 installed and with the exact same soundsettings i have nothing but a healthy renoise under the usage of ASIO - so i guess it’s not like i screwed something with my setup meanwhile…

has there been anything altered regarding the way ASIO drivers are being utilized? if so… it didn’t seem to do any good to my setup :(

so unfortunately, in this current version ASIO is nonfunctional for me.

short desc. of my hw/sw setup:
P4 2.66Ghz, 512MB PC400, sblive classic /w latest KX-Audio drivers, winxp.

I dont have any problems with this new release.
Good work Renoise team!

me too :o

if your songs are not made with any VSTi, I think you should send them to bugs at renoise.com.

I would, but the song I’ve tried was made only with VSTi samplers, so it wouldn’t be a good example for a bug report.

By the way, this happens nearly each time that a new beta version is released: the previous versions’ songs are unloadable if they have VSTi.

I suggest the team to give it a more detailed look on this side before releasing the first beta of the next version.

P3 733, 392MB RAM, Terratec EWX24/96, ATI Rage Pro 2000

uhh… I might have missed something… but… where is my render button!? … I lost it… hehe

BTW… I think everything is fantastic… you fixed the bugs I found… and did soo much more… yeeha! … I can’t wait for that .MID import…

Great release! Love the diskop although i have to get used to it a bit. But that’s no problem. It seems to be far more efficient and it looks great!

I do have a problem with playing my MIDI gear. I only can play one note at the time although i have keyjazz enabled. This problem appears with both my computer keyboard and my MIDI keyboard.

As soon as i hit a power or regular chord, it will only play one note. Strange. Could you check this? I have also loaded up a few samples, and they don’t seem to cause any trouble. I don’t really use VST’s so i haven’t checked them.

Thank you! 1.27 looks very promising…

Now… if i only could play some chords! :)

Best regards,

Dennis

Yes. Keyjazz is different since 1.25. I’ve mailed Taktik and suggested him to make an option switch for the old/new keyjazz. Hopefully it will be in the final 1.27.

Tom

I noticed i have some VST’s on my system and they also work fine when i strike multiple notes. Only MIDI doesn’t seem to work.

:blink:

I guess the fun for me will start with the second beta :)

Best regards,

Dennis

WELL I’M A RADICAL PERSON

look at my hat, it’s on backwards. i’m very unique.

anyway, maybe a ‘splash screen’ isn’t the right term. i’m just talking about a small dialog box the very first time you run the program. ‘welcome to renoise! the very first thing you should do is…’

Have you also set the same “audioprocessing buffersize” in Renoise ? You will find this option in Configs/Audio.
Maybe I should automatically choose an optimal setting there if you switch from Directsound to ASIO. Most of the ASIO related problems are that people forgot to set this value or didnt knew that they have to set it …

This is why we have beta releases.
All my songs (and my little RNS testsongs) that contain VSTis are loading ok, else I wouldnt relase a beta. I can only test what happens here with my setup and with my VSTis, so you have to notify me if there is something wrong with your Vsti`s and setup.

But, I`ve heared from some other users that Kontakt seems to work quite unstable in the 1.27beta rlease. Maybe this is also the root of your problem and it has nothing to do with importing songs in general ?

i’ve only tried importing one old song, but it had many different VSTis (with lots of moidifications made to them) and it seemed to load completely fine. :unsure:

this version seems to be very good! except for the new disk op. frankly, i find it very complicated and confusing. and i STILL haven’t figured out what makes it so i can save directories or not. is there any particular reason for the [plus] and [minus] icons? they don’t seem to add anything to browsing; they just make it a bit confusing as to whether you’re looking at a directory or not. as far as folder browsing is concerned, what’s wrong with the old system? i really like the ability to choose what it is you’re trying to load/save, and to load ., but other than that the ‘upgrades’ to the system make no real sense to me…

also, could it be renoise 127’s fault that my delete and backspace keys are not working right now? or is that something separate…

never mind about delete/backspace; it’s fixed now. it was only when i was using the renoise forums that i was having problems. i just re-loaded the page and it was fine

weird.

well, as i already mentioned in my previous post, i also configured this one right before i’ve hit the play song button for the very first time.
all sound related settings are equivalent to those proven optimal in renoise v1.26.
i’ve also been playing around with latency / buffersize after the first system hang-up, even though this should’nt have been of any need since the settings i’ve set initially should’ve been working flawlessly just as they do in 1.26, i presume.
anyways, whatever i alter the buffersize or latency to - the only thing which’ll occur is nothing but a not responding renoise/OS.

however, directsound works without a flaw - there must be something wrong with the utilization of ASIO in 1.27ß.

EDIT:
i just figured that only certain songs seem to cause trouble in the above mentioned manner.
songs without any VSTis all seem to work properly.
songs making use of VSTi cause trouble, with so far, one exception.
this is gettin’ odd :blink:

i think sampletank is more stable in 1.27b1 - i tested it 5 minutes with totally chaotic use - loading 20 sounds in one minute while playing on the keyz … no crash … anyone with the same experience??? or pure chance?

Yes, thumbs up :) Really nice work.

So here’re some bugs I encountered:

• Font-aliasing seems to slow down the gui (btw. who needs aliasing anyway? :) )
  • the already mentioned overwrite problem

and a very important thing which is hard to describe (for me):

in some of my older tunes it seems some of their samples have a curiosly quiet output, but I didn’t changed their volume. Every value seems to be okay but the output is kinda 1/2 compared to the original.

Would be nice if you’re going to fix this stuff :D

did renoise just get uglier? i think it did but its more powerful. thanks guys!

just two things ive noticed so far…

• after loading a 1.26 file (with a VSTi) and messing around with it i had no problems but after saving it and loading it again it only had 3 tracks left when the original had 7!!. the others were blank!

• A 20 pattern was extended to 30 and the last ten rows were filled with these notes… C-0 00 0000 , they could be deleted but were kinda in the way.

No problems her so far with old tunes and vsti…

Only gripe is that I think the disk-op is now over complicated…

Why or what is uglier now ?

Hi,
Great job, this release is really better .

I’ve found three strange little ‘bugs’ (perhaps you’ll say that they’re features in fact :).

1. When I click on the ‘edit on/off’, well, it doesn’t switch anymore.
  2. If I quit Renoise and my song is not saved, a box tells me to do it, but then doesn’t return to windows. It saves my song, but I have to click again to escape.
  3. When I right click on a track in the scopes in order to solo-it, the note that was played on the solo track is cut too. (of course, the next ones are played)

I had one big crash while editing, never had one before. But my song was saved in emergency by Renoise, so it’s all right :)

Good job !

Jnv.

yes, this is a little bit annoying … i’ve noticed the same …