Renoise 1.9.1 Final (+ Linux Betas) available

I just tried this, it runs fine on the default xandros, but obviously doesn’t fit on the screen. You can hold alt and drag the window around to change the visible part of the renoise window. I tested a couple of the demo songs, the more complex ones appear to run into cpu issues, but basic stuff is ok.

Edited to add: played with this some more, it really doesn’t take much before running into problems - I had a relatively typical cut up 8 bar break beat I’d been working on, using the obvious effects and the playback was pretty glitchy.

this is fantastic!
big ups!

Now I just need to set my keyboard mappings correctly,since it’s been about two years since I’ve downloaded renoise! :)

excellent work, guys!

coolness!!!

<3<3<3

Thanks for the reports. Doesn’t sound like it will cut it as portable for Renoise.

Cheers,

Malcolm.

The cpu on the asus EEE seems to be clocked at 630mhz… (underclocked) so aprox. i suspect it to have a 700 or 733Mhz cpu. But what would you expect for a 200 dollar laptop?

700 Mhz is essentially not enough CPU power for Renoise to run really fine.
You can still do nice things in Linux when you have an 800Mhz CPU but don’t expect miracles.

Some news about the 1.9.1 release:

The Mac and Win 1.9.1 builds went final now (are no longer betas). The Linux builds will stay beta as long as necessary (as long as there is something to fix).

The 1.9.1 final builds for OS X and Windows are as usual available at the Renoise backstage: http://backstage.renoise.com

What’s new?

• the promised line draw mode unfortunately not ;( as we got some problems with the sample editors undo functionality which couldn’t be easily fixed. Instead of the line draw mode, holding down shift will now allow to select in the sample even when the draw mode is on.
    We’ll try to get a proper line draw mode added to the next big release.

The 1.9.1 release will be announced tomorrow or the day after tomorrow via our newsletters. Then we’ll also release the first Linux demo versions for non registered users.

Good times:

http://freshmeat.net/releases/271070/

WHERE? WHERE? GIMME GIMME GIMME!!! :w00t:
/calms down

Cool. I’m there.

SUPER! thanx devteam!
Doooooooodling at last !! :badteethslayer:

Can I get a me too?

http://www.nightlifemagazine.ca/blog/view/43

Oh, I think I just died and went to heaven!

The Linux version is something I’ve dreamed about for a long time, and finally it’s here! No more reboots, and full ladspa and jack support! This is exactly how I’ve imagined it!

For further improvement I might suggest jack transport, but apart from that, it works absolutely perfect on my Ubuntu Feisty setup. Renoise will be an important a priceless addition to the whole Linux Audio setup.

I already own a license for Renoise, but perhaps now I’ll pick up another one ;)

Got the latest linux build yesterday and it worked straight away on my Ubuntu Gusty laptop… though I haven’t tried the “Audio IN” device and low latency recording through my freebob capture device… (more on that soon ;) )

Just one question… I plan to upgrade to Ubuntu 8.04, and one of the “main” features is that they will be employing the PulseAudio system. This is another linux “sound server”, as if there aren’t enough…

Now, from my understanding, this is only a interface for the gnome desktop, and can run seamlessly beside jack or ALSA… Am I correct, or is this something which is going to cause headaches with Renoise dev?

Do you plan on supporting this tech at all, or is it just not designed for live audio?

But regardless, I will be testing Renoise on Ubuntu 8.04 soon enough. I’ve been using Renoise just over a week now (on XP), and I luuurve it. On first appearance the Linux version seems a exact copy, and it operates smoothly. WELL DONE! :yeah:

those who have already tried Renoise on Ubuntu 8.04 did not report any error related to PulseAudio

I upgraded to 8.04 but haven’t met any problems with pulseaudio yet. I don’t even know if it is installed though. Have to check more about it this evening.

Okay tested it around. Yes it is installed, but unfortunately it doesn’t play very well with renoise.

I have the alsa stuff installed so all alsa programs by default connect to the pulseaudio instead, but renoise doesn’t. It tries to get directly to hardware. I am not exactly sure how pulseaudio works. But there should be some option to support it as it’s coming to mainstream in just few days.

Apparently you don’t need pulseaudio driver in program to support it, as it can play through some alsa plug aswell.

Good news is that pulseaudio disconnects from alsa when nobody is using it.

Thanks for checking Suva and for the response It-Alien.
I definitely plan to predominantly use the Linux version in future, and it is good to know it is stable in Ubuntu 8.04 :walkman:
It’s like I only really keep windows around for playing games, and with the release of Quake: Enemy Territory for linux, it seems as if that might change in the future also ;)

Yea, I also did some research and it appears that you can use ALSA and jack independently of pulse-audio. Pulse-Audio seems more geared toward networked, distributed audio streaming applications…

Again, good work guys.

Renoise runs ok on my eee pc 901 with a 1.6 ghz intel atom. Still there’s a window size problem though.
Max resolution on 901 is 1024x600, so that Renoise doesn’t fit vertically.
Moving the window by dragging it with alt key pressed doesn’t work. There is no way to catch the window’s bottom to resize.
I tried to change the window size in the config file by hand. The horizontal value changed at next launch, but the vertical value stays over 600.
Is there a chance for update?

The record panel in the sample editor, and the mixer view in Renoise require 700 pixels as a minimum, that is why it has been stated as a minimum requirement.

Bet I could fix it, if I only had the sources. :)