► Renoise 3 Beta testing starts - announcing Redux

:walkman:/>

Go through this site’s archives, does so from latest to oldest.

You should get a fair idea of what its capable of, both from a business and technical standpoint.

rekkerd.org search: “kontakt” archives

I don’t really go on KVR, but if you dig there, your bound to find something informative.

I’ve only had it for about a month now, seasonal sales, had to bite.

I only bought it because the majority of acoustic samples that I do like are in Kontakt format.

I should rephrase that as the companies I do like because, lets face it, if there was a predation chart,
users would be the Arctic fox following the Polar bear for food.

Some instruments provide the raw samples, some you need a converter.

As far as I’m concerned, Renoise 3 is an excellent piece of software that is being highly underestimated even by it’s own community. It’s a freaking $70 piece of software with a small development team. It’s incredible what’s come out of this software in the past few years. I guess I’m just a “fan boy” that can’t see why a piano roll is “so necessary.” Whatever, I use Renoise for what it’s good at and I don’t pretend it’s anything else. I’d rather see Renoise dig in deep to what it does well then see a half assed piano roll and a shitty implemented audio track system any day. If you can’t see how deep this upgrade goes then that’s on your own limited imagination and not on the Renoise developers because they added some rounded edges to the GUI.

Well said and I totally agree with you. It seems rather obvious to me that some users have a very limited imagination. Some of them are even starting shitty topics asking others to convince them to upgrade to Renoise 3.0, can you believe that? :rolleyes:/>

Thanks to all devs who gave me the coolest gift even before Christmas Eve (i’ve recovered my password to here with delay, right now) !!! Base for our future is set very well, new features rock, gui is clean… Thanks a lot! Btw rounded corners are like some silkscreen on top of the hardware, i like the idea someone said that renoise looks more like in spaceship or something, still true. Soon i’ll try to write some suggestions, i have my login now but i’m reading this forum often, e.g. when i can’t sleep.)

Happy

Thank you again, no more dreaming about R3!
Today i was thinking what motivated you in making these changes in R3.

Everybody know what it lacks next to the big daws (audio tracks, piano roll, send track to send track, k-meters in mixer etc.) but you´ve decided to go in different direction. Absolutely no criticism here i am just thinking about what motivated you, what you feel about these new features. Talking mainly about instrument editor cause doofers and phrases are something what i´ve always wanted and i understand its potencial.
And what are these big changes under the hood that will change R3 in future? I only hope that Redux will not be reason why Renoise will have to be limited and everything else will be made by other daws (these new changes are mainly “instrument” oriented so i am feared for a reason :-).
It is something what is easily imagined for somebody who likes to work with reaper, rewire or vsts but i love renoise, even in composing whole song, so dont wanna to learn another daw in year or two just because renoise doesnt have this amazing XXX function etc.

I´ve sold Ableton 9 because i didnt like it, so i´ve stucked with R2 and was waiting for R3 but now i am little nervous that important vst functions wont never be there (automatization, midi plugins etc). I dont blame anybody or hate anything, i am just very curious why you decided for these changes in the first place. Would be great to hear something like “i´ve added envelope modification because i think now you can create best pad ever what was problem before it as linux doesnt have enough vst and padtool is not enought, now i wanna to implement this or that…”.
Wanna know why it exists, why you developer love these function more than others and more convencional. So i can love them also even if i havent mastered them yet ;). I understand that Renoise began as sampler / tracker but i have a lot of free VSTi which have more advanced features and funnier aproach to sound design than R3 and its sampler (so i wanna automatize them by simplier way, same with a macros in instrument, why not to: - right click, create automatization and everything else will be asigned for example). I dont try to say that i dont use sampled instruments, they are great in R3, but what i love about renoise in the first place is its approach to composing. And If i will know that R3 wont be ever about VSTi, audio track etc and you dont find these function interesting, it would be better to began learn that slow and buggy ableton or boring reaper like back inna days to combine it with renoise (but still doesnt solve problem cause i wanna use synths in renoise, not outside, so automatization has to happen here).
You know, it is somehow frustrating to know that your favourite daw goes by direction that you cant fully utilize.

And again, no hate here. Just my humble opinion and my own needs. Just wanna to know direction of future Renoise if i can because it is somehow important for me as i wanna to use my tools fully ^_^.

I am very interested in the final release and next version, thank you again taktik for great R3 (i am not sad about it, just curious where we are going ;) and sorry for so much text in combination with so bad english :smiley: :rolleyes:

Amen!

yep that’s me , I started that topic to have some feedback from users who have already delved into 3.0 …
From all your previous post I have come to the conclusion that you are a verr narrow minded thinking person , who 's only purpose seem to attack everybody who has some form of critisism .
Maybe you are just an average user and doesn’t even have the skills or knowledge to see what can/will/could be improved in future versions and just switches on his ‘FANBOY’ mode .

Bla bla bla bla. That’s why I was narrow-minded enough to make this suggestion almost a year ago:

Right. Well, I’ve had enough of this BS now. There are better things to do in life than wasting time on intellectually dishonest people.

@Developers and team:

Again, thanks a lot for the new Renoise 3.0 - it’s a fantastic release and I’m very much looking forward to the Redux plugin! :walkman:/>

And a Happy New Year to everybody, see you again in 2014. :guitar:/>

Damn I even forgot to mention the pan/transpose/etc sliders having their ‘fill color’ start actually from the middle, damn it was about that time, thanks santa.

Let me mention shortly that I made a mistake, and the hold button is not handy for drum (sample) instruments. It’s a nice addition, but for drums, still have to use a ‘sustain’ tool.

Convolver. I did not emphasise enough how killer it is. I just put it on ‘XFX - House Stab’ on a track with one note perc hits… I’m vibing to that beat for 20 mins now.

Thanks for ‘layer all’. I won’t have to rewrite that tool :D.

Not sure if I’m happy with the sample properties form as it is now (no sliders means no way to reset to default???)

Also, how is dragging samples from sample list to the keyzones not possible anymore? Have to duplicate sample first? Probably makes more sense. I’d like a way to duplicate sample tho where it doesn’t automatically makes it sound double loud in the existing pattern when playing. (toolable?)

I’m kind of not sure why part of the convolver is bright. (is it the ‘actual convolver’ part? who cares about technicalities like that? ie it’s confusing)

I’m missing params blocks (that show fxcommand/automation) lighting up differently when being controlled by metadevice.

I feel the EQ’s are slightly ‘more logarithmic’ if that’s a thing, more room for relevant frequencies like in abletons EQ’s
May very well be my imagination

I would vote for: an option to connect key to eg envelope attack.

I said doofer is better than lives fx group… not sure… of course it doesn’t have multiple ‘tracks’. The instrument fx have that though.

The Modulation section in the sample instrument editor is really cool but misses features like aforementioned keytracker->env attack, modulating pitch lfo’s speed is another example, or randomising the dephase every keyhit (if I’m not mistaken!)

For positive vibe… let’s repeat some requests that were filled;

• per sample envelopes, fx
  • doofer
  • pan sliders grow from center (many fx I’ll have to adjust my pattern-searching eyes to and I love that)
  • built-in note/scale limiter
  • ability to shuffle or round-robin samples that are layered on the same note
  • live input quantise
  • chord mode is now per-instrument
  • 0GFF / GF (hehe) to change pitch instantly.

Little bug in release notes, it reads like round-robin == random while it’s more round-robin == cycle, no?

All people complaining need to see that sample instruments can now have different built-in (savable with instr I would guess) fx tracks where ALL META DEVICES CAN BE USED. Moreover, the instrument fx tracks ALSO HAVE SENDS.
This makes me really curious about Redux. This is a great step forward.

R3 does make me want to get a bigger screen. Life on a 1366*768 laptop is crap, but it’s probably at least as crappy with other daws, wouldn’t want to flamebait renoise forum over it :P

Also let me say this, I don’t understand why everybody cares so much whether Renoise “hits the big time with commercial success” - I really see the product moving forward with big steps, who cares if a lot of noobs shout in the forum that it’s all too difficult and takes too much time? If you’re not gonna invest your time then don’t bother to try and use killer electronic music software.

Evrytime you come up with the skills and knowledge question, you did that also with me, maybe its you who needs that.

P.s. Im not attacking you, def not. But please stop with your mission, play it different! Play it nice and bring peace ;)

So I’ve been messing around with v3 for that last couple of days and i really dig what the dev team cooked up. My only suggestion (not a big issue) is that i would like to see the disk browser function like in FL folder architecture, in how when you select a folder with the mouse (not double click it) its contents are accessible in a drop down folder. Previously in 2.8 when you browsed folders there were two windows: the folders window and the folder content windows. This was great for 2.8, but I can’t see it being implemented in v3 hence the suggestion.

Not a fanboy but renoise will always be my main daw for composition whilst my mixing daw is reaper. I have no idea why but tracking my music just “makes sense” to my brain. lol I don’t even use as a “techno machine” albeit it reigns supreme imho.

Oops, forgot the fact that automating active/bypassed is now possible.

Exactly, this. haha.

O yeah , btw ;… don’t !! (@ get , the , gentle . clock . divider started (MAD SEVERE . WARNING!)

I have a limited english vocabulary
So we can’t drop samples on the keyzones anymore ?
Get me …? st@rted …naah …now true …I am bit explosive lately …and that all has to do with the fact that there seems to be a problem with 'avangate ’ license upgrade …stuff …yeah …so I am a bit frustrated …
Big love for Renoise and dev’s and community …reading about the ++++ and the minussess and I can’t even check it out …

You have got to be …
What is this I don’t even

Oh and about there not being sliders for sample vol/pan, transpose etc; maybe there is room for this when sample list is resized horizontally?

PS about the release notes, please make this

say

PPS having the piano keys constantly visible with the visual feedback is great, oh and seeing the scales, yeahhh

@ cas …dropping samples on keyzones …possible ?

oh yeah… audiomulch redux would be wonderful

There are still two windows in the disk browser, one is just collapsed by default for some reason. I had the same freakout for almost a day before I realized that lol, still works great!