► Renoise 3 Beta testing starts - announcing Redux

+1 (on which pattern zooming could be applied?)

Though what if there ever be automatable lbp or bpm in phrase? Then it be hard to estimate the length of a phrase, especially if controlled through lfo? Of course, this is all fantasy :wink:

Because to my knowledge there is no proper cross-platform instrument format/sampler available as VSTi. Renoise is cross-platform, however. So not all Renoise users actually can use something like Kontakt.

Redux will be popular for those who want the renoise experience in their linear daw …
Will it atract new users …hell no …
It’s really a smart from the dev’s …We renoise users are just betatesting redux …
Love renoise …but I think there’s a reason why some of the longtime users left …or to say it mildly …are not so impressed with 3.0 …

When you’re trying to think about the way some “realistic virtual instruments” are done, you understand that they’re build with the help of multiple layered samples, that are post-processed with internal dsp fx chains. Some famous VSTis, not only Kontakt, but also, for example the fabulous “reFX Nexus”, are based on this principle. And you can’t say that Renoise goes in the wrong way with this release, because everything that truely works nowadays, (i.e. that people are ready to buy - or sell ) - are banks of cool realistic, rich, and evolving instruments usefull for making the quality music you want. Allowing Renoise - Redux to go in this ground is logical and I’d say, necessary.

Saying that, the .xrni instruments have always been limited, because if they where multi-layered, they could NOT be “modulated” and they didn’t contained any DSP fx… So that’s what changed yiou realized it. And now we’ve got something in our hands that will in a near future allow us to work with something truely realistic, easy to modulate, and also easy to use for newcomers. Think about newbies. They are in the market like everybody. They want to use cool instruments but they’re not hardcore digital muzakers that will use more that one or two knobs. And in the end they make their decisions because of some little details like simplicity, efficiency. And don’t ask you why they simply ignored for now the renoise instruments. Because of the messy GUI !

For example : in Renoise 2.8.1 the “Instruments settings” horizontal tab, was truely confusing, small, but with side pannels hiding some important informations, with 3 different sections (SAMPLES, PLUGINS, EXT MIDI ), but visually, the sample editor was somewhere else, and the keyzones were somewhere else in another tab. And honnestly the result of this, is sad but true : it wasn’t clear, especially for newbies, that finally ignored the “instrument concept”. They often told me that renoise instruments looked far too complicated for them ; some still don’t understand clearly, the difference between “samples” and “instruments”… Don’t ask yourself why lots of user simply ignored the power of “renoise instruments” last years, this is because the messy tabs on the bottom of the old GUI.

Saying that let’s recognise that Redux has “helped” the devteam to re-organise and clarify the “instrument” concept in Renoise, and it probably helped the devteam to get visually, the best possible editing panels for it. And I guess that creating a new “'sampler” tab on the top of the software GUI, that correctly associates the samples lists, the sample editor, they keyzones, the modulations and the post DSP fx chains in a logical way, will also push some people to go deeper and discover the full power of it.

So, in the end, I see Redux as the last step in a bigger process of

(1) grabbing the best existing plugins - remember the “plugin grabber” ?
(2) tweaking the grabbed plugins and making them fully .xrni compatible
(3) exporting .xrnis to “Redux banks” or Redux based VSTis
(4) selling it at a low price (compared to other solutions)
(5) allowing more people to enjoy quality instruments but with “competitive prices”

Isn’t it a game changer ?

Is any one else imagining Redux to be a bit like Xfer’s Nerve, but with a tracker sequencer?

http://www.xferrecords.com/products/nerve

That would be awesome.Or is it just going to be a up straight sampler? Cos then I don’t really see the point…

Nerve looks like it will do a lot less than Redux will do even if Redux would not have the phrase sequencer.
They have a lot of nerves to ask so much money for that though.

that will be a mini renoise then - so we can use it in bitwig…

vV: Nerve is absolutelly great and inspirational, trust mue.

NI finally has Linux versions!!! That’s awesome news! Gotta check that out immediately…

Mmh, just searched for 10 minutes, but couldn’t find any information on this. Did I miss something? Is this a closed beta or something?

edit @gentle
yeh more like lp tinnitus or something. i dont know whats keeping taktik back adding new filters - if you want to keep it backwards compatible adding doesn’t seem like it could do any damage right?
i honestly wouldn’t care having a nice big list of filters.

Look, I love linux and I’m generally happy to have new music software support linux. I’m really happy that pianoteq is available on linux. However, renoise is already pretty much the best game (DAW-wise) in town under linux for the foreseeable future (there’s bitwig… but I said ‘foreseeable’ ;) It doesn’t make sense for me to buy redux since I’m already using renoise.

Linux is already a small market to begin with that’s not going to be a substantial revenue stream. Subtract from that small market the existing renoise fanbase who would be using renoise under linux anyway and it’s even smaller (left pretty much with the trickle of ardour users in need of a sampler). So personally, I’m not seeing cross-platform-including-linux as a revenue-generating part of the business plan.

Ultimately it’s up to the devs and I respect their decision. As I mentioned, I really like Renoise 3 and linux so I’m not trying to give anyone a hard time here.

The problem I have is that I can’t tell me that kind of things, for example, that Renoise has completely changed and that I’ve lost all the fun I had, that my favourite software isn’t what it used to be, and that’s so sad, and so on…

I cry when I truly loose something I love.

And I’m searching something that I’ve truely lost with this 3rd release. Well let’s face it, I’ve lost nuthin’. I can do basically the same things, nearly the same way. It’s just the graphical interface that has changed and I find the new one even more logical, flexible, and structured in a better way. I can use additionnal methods, and make even more complex modulations than before. I’lll be able to use more realistic instruments, but still can use my old crappy samples if I want. What the hell did I truely loose so that I’d need to cry ?

Maybe I’ve lost a bit of my time, to believe in the existence of a radical move, to believe in a revolution… in the end, it’s just an evolution & some improvements.

Gotta agree with kurtz here …You can still renoise as you did in the past …
While the mod .section …defenintilay needs rework .;There are a lot of usefull things …envelopes can now have fast stages regardless of tempo
And the gui ;; you’ll get used to it …but one thing that really pisses me of it that you have to go to the plugin tab to load fxp/fxb …why ???
Also get rid of the antialiang of the superimposed output envelope, it just consumes CPU

XG2003 and co: moved your discussion here and tried to make it a suggestion instead.

hear hear!

LOL! :yeah:

Nobody was asking them to put in ‘everything’, they were asking them to put in the things most people have been asking for, for years…

How do you manage to completely ignore reality every time you post?

Yes, precisely. The developers ignore what we have written there, and just go ahead with new stuff - WITHOUT TELLING US - and now are probably sitting there thinking “Why don’t they like the new stuff we made?”. I still have to battle with the Pattern Matrix every time I try to make a song, the simplest things are ten times more difficult than in Buzz. Or FL Studio. Or Orion. Or any other DAW that uses clips.

Everybody is going on about the phrases as if they are wonderful - a proper sequencer would be wonderful too.

Im really enjoying Renoise 3. Redux (for me) is way better than making some Frankenstien of a program coughFL Studiocough. With Redux I’ll be able to load it into Reaper. All the key commands I like in Renoise can be used in Reaper. Alot of thought has gone into Renoise so I’m cool with what they come up with.

What are FL Studio sales compared to Renoise sales? FL Studio is a fantastic program - do you not know how many SUCCESSFUL artists use it?
Watch the videos in the post from Image Line halfway down this page:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=395444&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=210

Look at the number of hits on FL Studio tutorial videos on Youtube, compared to those for Renoise. Why has FL Studio got so many more users than Renoise? (Or Buzz, for that matter.)