Renoise Advertising

For good sales figures you need good marketing and a good marketing department, this is just the key.

That’s not necessarily true. Look at a company like Valve.

Gabe Newell has said that Valve pretty much doesn’t have any marketing department. Valve pretty much relies on the fact that people apart of Valve will be doing the marketing to the customers anyway. His position was that it was better to focus on making a good product rather than advertising something that was often not even out of development yet.

It reminds me of the way the Renoise community is, and how we are really blessed to have such active people in the community. We have devs, community people, performers and even well-meaning people like DrumanDaBass who all work to make using the software a unique experience.

So yeah, my point was that Renoise doesn’t need a big-time marketing ploy. It will only appeal to a certain subset of people, so why push it on people who don’t get it, and why try to pass it off as something it’s not?

Better yet, look at Minecraft or any indie game that took off with success. They had literally zero advertising, and spent no time trying to get a publisher interested by putting together any kind of promo material. They relied solely on a brilliant product that everyone wanted to talk about.

That said, Minecraft (or Valve games) is a very different thing to Renoise. People looked at MC and could instantly see the appeal. It’s a sandbox game, it’s all right there in front of you, better yet with the promise of more when you start exploring it. Renoise on the other hand will look quite foreign to people unfamiliar with trackers, or maybe even any music software outside of whichever one they’re familiar with. This is where people are going to need more than a few screenshots and people raving about it. Well designed promotional videos should aim to explain what Renoise is and why it’s good in a way that everyone can understand and keeps their attention span.

So what I’m saying is, for a product that doesn’t have the ‘instant appeal’ trait (aside from people like me who drool over sexy UI) marketing it well is kind of necessary for it to be more successful. You can’t compare it to a video game which easily advertises itself. Renoise, and most other complex software, just can’t sustain its popularity growth that way.

This has got to be one of the most pointless threads on the internet.

renoise, it really whips the Jabbanoise’s ass

Buying my update right now!!11~1

for me, renoise is a complete music composer (although i use ardour for vocal recording)