Renoise And External Mixers

Hi there renoise team long time registerd user here :).

Have complained a few times about the renoise “mix-engine” not giving accurate results, that means sounding like the playback audio output.
I think the last time you guys said not to use sinc, as the other interpolation should theoreticaly give you a 100% procent same result as audio. But i (and a few other users) noticed a diffrence between playback audio and streamed audio. There was even a diffrence when recording the output from the soundcard and just streaming the track into a stereo master.
It was suggested that the diffence was due to the audiocard improving (somehow) the sound over the original, but no conclusion was reached.

So my question (finally) is will external mixing of track for track in other software or an external hardware mixer give a more “accurate” (or better) result than pure renoise internal mixing?

I’ve also noticed that mixing seperate stereo tracks onto our mackie mixer does give more dynamics and stereo width than just using the renoise internal mixer.
But anyway i would like the developers input in to this, since we are currently mixing our second album using renoise. And we would like to know if getting that sparkling new digitalmixer will do any diffrence ??

/best regards … Raz [etnoscope]
www.etnoscope.com

And thanks for keeping trackers alive, renoise rox.

External mixers already do help a lot, but not only when concerning Renoise but a lot of other applications as well.

Concerning the other debate about audible differences between various music application (Renoise, FL, Sonar, Cubase, etc) and having seen a spectrum analyser report between the various applications ( http://www.simonv.com/tutorials/quality.php )

It is just a matter of perception and good hardware that make the difference.
I rather trust the anti-aliasing and pitch-shift comparison report for clean and unravelled output than trusting your pc’s audio card.
Specially if people say that audio sounds better from this application than the other one while the spectrum analysis says something totally different about alias-ratio of the output when it comes to truely render above streaming from your audio card.

For rendering from within Renoise, i don’t think you have much to fear;
If you render clean and untouched and import it into an external mixer, which is being known to produce high quality output, i would consider you practice the safest job here.

Just be carefull when choosing for which interpolation algorithm to pick for rendering the data is depending upon which effects you apply along the rendition and the quality of the samples that you use.
But this you can instantly test in your wave-player after the rendition.

You can try to do this test again with 1.51 for fun to see what 1.5 does with rendering of that particular sample.