Renoise And The Industry

Being a newcomer to Renoise (and loving it) this question is directed to those who both created this wonderful software and to those that use it in a professional setting.

My question is how popular is Renoise within the industry of software hosts?
I never see it listed as an industry standard hosting/sequence application among the typical spot-lighters such as Protools and Cubase, etc.

I recently took some of my commercial work to a renowned studio for mixing and the technician asked me what software I used to compose it in, when I said “Renoise”, he looked at me like he was seriously perplexed. Of course, by the end of the session he was rather impressed and more inquisitive.

Is tracking still considered a non professional means of composing? If so, that’s truly unfortunate, given the fact that Renoise can do one a hell of a job. Eventually I’d like to see it rival with the big boys and for the soft snyth industry to support it in a far greater capacity :yeah:

The makers of Renoise need to capture more press!

A couple of things comes to mind. Just MHO of course.

First, if by “the industry” you mean the more traditional old school industry, then Renoise simply lack a few vital features before most of those guys would even consider something like renoise.

From the beginning of time, something as simple as recording live instruments (first a one track recording, then multitrack recordings, and later midi recordings) was and still is the way to do things for the majority of musicians, producers etc.
These things are still the weak spots in renoise. It is simply not intuitive and simple to record/edit/play back longer live recordings in renoise (both audio and midi).
Some tracker workaround wizardry are simply not what these guys are looking for or willing to learn.

That said, when/if the day comes that renoise get things like an arranger, audio-tracks (with harddisk streaming), better resolution and a pianoroll, this program will explode in accessibility and get a much broader user-base.
I believe more traditional features are indeed possible to implant in renoise without bloating the software or in any way cripple the ‘tracker experience’.
Time will show…

Some professionals are little stupid lemmings following so called “industy standards”. My advice : Don’t talk about the software you use, period. It shouldn’t matter at all if it sounds good. And if they really want to know just tell them you use Live or Sonar or something. Then release records, get big and do interviews and praise renoise.

Renoise and all other audiosoft should be seen as a tool, not some kind of religion. And every warez-kiddie picking up live or sonar/logic/whatever thinking it is on it’s way making great music can kiss my gorgeous looking a**.

+1

I agree, and same thing has happened to me from time to time when i play my tunes for people who also work with music. Some of them don’t even know what tracking is, but already when i used Fasttracker 2, i made some semi-professsional productions that raised an eyebrow of some studio workers where we recorded the lyrics when i told them i used FastTracker II. I’ve heard a lot of great stuff in the tracking scene, and a lot of talented people are using trackers, but usually alongside with other software.

I think Renoise is a great tool for making songs, but i dont think its a full-feathered professional tool yet, but it’s getting there eventually. Hoping for some neat improvments and features in the 2.0 cycle. =)