Renoise For Dummies

sknk: perhaps your questions have more to do with the actuall making of the music and not necessarily the software?

• No, it’s not about the creative process, and i’m stumped as to what it is i’m not able to make clear. Take the ‘extreme’ example of It-Aliens’ demo song “Overlook”. The way that song is tracked mirrors an ability that exceeds what i’m currently able to do, and don’t get me wrong [altough that’s seems easy enough to do], that is not what i’m aiming for currently, but that song should give you an idea of the casm between what i can do in Renoise now and what i know is possible. But you know what? Let’s give it a rest for now, it’s never a good idea to continue on the wrong foot when there’s obviously a breakdown in communication, for whatever reason that may be. Anyway, thank you all for your comments, but this ain’t over yet :lol:

Dude, that is not easy to do. It-Alien is a master tracker.

The guitar analogy is best here.

Some guitar players are awesome, some aren’t, even if you see what they are doing on the fret board doesn’t mean you can pull it off.

Again, the answer is practice.

Deny it all you want, blame something else, but clearly no one becomes as good as It-Alien without years of being not-so good beforehand.

Anyway, it’s all good.

Welcome to Renoise.

I wish I had a vid cam to make some ultra-beginner vids… Not much of a visual person unfortunately.

InDepth will grow to accommodate all these areas eventually, but not quickly. All I can suggest to a beginner is, other than practice practice, is do some digging around here on the forums and within InDepth. There’s hardly any topic that hasn’t been covered.

And come on IRC too, live help rules.

I agree trackers can be hard to comprehend, which explains why so many people use piano paint roll programs.

Tracking is an old nerdy, but very quick way of composing. But every tracker use the same old structure on how to enter commands, and I believe here is room for usability improvement.

If I had time I would certainly make a mashup of ideas how to revise the pattern editor.

A quick example, when on a note row you press CTRL+P to enter (P)anning in a small input field that pops up. But then there’s the trouble in showing the user there’s Panning going on.

Everybody loves trackers because of their speed, trying to bring in knobs (for example) to make it intuitive will clutter and lower the speed of tracking, unless it’s easy to use with keyboard which is especially important in the pattern editor.

Guess it takes a lot of thinking to come up with a viable solution.

Maybe you have some ideas on how to improve Renoise, how to make it more intuitive, it’s interesting for future development. Add to Ideas and suggestions forum.

Edit: Gargh just edited it again, for the last time :D

To all those who replied: thank you very much and take i will all your suggestions to heart!

Edsche

:)