Renoise Gui Slows Down When Recording Lots Of Input Data, Notes

Same here. Good finger workout tho. :P

maybe if we stopwatch our results, post cpu hit and computer specs we’ll have a new good benchmark test ;)

can’t you make this new feature optional ?
Renoise starts to lag after a few patterns of live recording notes , not necesarally bombing it with events , even a simple bassline live recording for several pattersn makes renoise lag , this makes it totally unusefull for me , and at the moment I can’t afford to upgrade to a faster computer

testing on a single core 2.6 ghz cpu , 1 gb ram windows xp …bpm 120 lpb 8 , lagging after 4 patterns ( 64 lines ) inputed notes , a sequence of 5 repeated notes ,no quanti
tested on a dual core 2.1 ghz , 2 gb ram , lagging also happens , depending of nr of inputed notes .
I don’t want to sound crude here , but I am a fairly decent keyboard player( as in an actual keyboard ) and I am sure a lot of people who want to record live and don’t have accces to a high spec .machine will be put off when they notice that renoise can’t keep up with their keyboard ninja skills .
High priority alarm fix please

Did you test with an older version from the Backstage? Can you confirm it works better in 2.6? Or did you just start playing keyboards into Renoise, like, this week?

It would be helpful to do so.

I noticed the problem 2 weeks ago , I was visiting a friend in berlin installed renoise 2.7 on her computer dual Corelaptop ( deinstalled it afterwards ), installed my edirola ua 25 drivers and started playing from midi keyboard .
Renoise was playing back 15 audio tracks , 2 vst’s ( sq 8 -l and tyrell )
i recorded a verry simple bassline for several patterns ( to keep the human feel ) , renoise started lagging after a few patters ,not verry cpu intensive , at that moment I thought it was midi related ( I posted this on the forum ) , now it seems that the problem is also present when recorded from computer keyboard .
The problem could easily be fixed if we could make this new feature optional ( one step record undo ),
https://forum.renoise.com/t/slow-down-gui-response-when-receiving-lots-of-midi-data/32472

Just for the record:What kind of computer are you using?
Sorry missed the new replies.

Well, if there are many having these kind of problems, perhaps it could be optional, but i don’t know if that is much work.
Single core isn’t really top notch nowadays and dual core are starting to become netbook stuff.

I am using an old single core 2.6 ghz sony vaio ,
I have acces to my brothers computer, quad core @ 2.1 ghz , and a dual core laptop @ 2.6 ghz . from a friend , …which I am testing
the issue on right now .
Of course I will reinstall renoise afterwards

Firstly, we haven’t identified if undo is the actual problem.

At the time of this writing, it is theoretically the problem.

If you test with 2.6, and get the same results, then the problem is not undo.

We need that report. Either from you, or other users.

If it is the problem, then I propose we copy the Sample Editor:

Attachment 2096 not found.

@ taktik , would it be much work to adress this issue and make the ’ one step undo record ’ feature optional ?

@gentleclockdivider: Did you test with 2.6?

yep , just did on my friends comp .dual core laptop , 2 gig ram …lagging after a few patterns
Conner , you also have the problem , what are your specs ?
I know my lapop is not up to date , but try to see it from my point of view , I get all my sounds from my nord modular and reaktor , sometimes sequenced and or resampled and a microphone , so I have acces to a plethora of sounds and don’t need the latest high spec .laptop to run every vst imaginable , I am a more is less dude ( and don’t have a lot of money at the moment …I like travelling )
So my computer is capable enough of running renoise , But now since the added feature ( which I personally don’t care about ) makes renoise useless to me , just because of this I can’t record live anymore , if the new feature would be something like a cpu intensive additive engine , then I would upgrade my computer to run renoise 2.7 , but it’s not , it’s just an under the hood one step undo feature , that takes up precious cpu juice ( on a older laptop ) .

I will now

Sorry, I’m having a hard time understanding you. In your next post can you be more clear and leave out the personal stuff?

This is what I understand.

• You tested 2.7 an 2.6, BOTH have the SAME problem?

If the above is true then:

If 2.6 and 2.7 behave EXACTLY THE SAME then the new feature is NOT the problem.

Ahhh, ok. I simply misunderstood. Looking forward to the report!

ok just tested it with renoise 2.6 , recording from computer keyboard , no quantize , note delay on
Absolutelly flawless registration of recorded notes , no lagging , no slowing down gui …

No they don’t behave the same way , just tested renoise 2.6 , absolutely no Lagging
Renoise 2.7 , lags …the lagging happens on my computer ( old single core ) and also on my friends computer ( dual core )
What spec’s do you have , since you mentioned that you have the problem too

They are in my signature.

Although this doesn’t affect my note input workflow as I’m not a keyboard virtuoso and do everything manually, step by step, i.o.w not live, this is definitely a problem if you want to key in your notes for more than a few patterns.

I know a Jazz keyboard player that is still learning Renoise 2,6 and he would have a problem with upgrading to 2,7.

+1 for fix.

To me, it’s hugely useful to be able to undo multiple note recordings in one step, so I am very happy about the change (not having to press CTRL+Z a million times to undo something that was entered using keyrepeat, for instance) . On the other hand, I can easily picture some keyboard maestro getting into trouble because of this, like Jonas points out.

Perhaps a solution would be if the merging of undo steps could simply wait until playback was stopped? So, while playing the undo is only working on single notes, but when stopped (and nothing has been undone), the merging takes place and the whole thing can be undone.

I’m guessing that the merging takes place when notes are entered at a certain speed, so it’s obviously more complex than that, but that’s my 2 cents…

ive never ever used undo in the pattern or song editor.
is there an option to disable the whole undo table?

Let’s roughly split the undo takes for each new pattern. That should should solve the GUI performance drop while being helpful in general to undo takes.