Renoise Instrument Automation Effect

I know that a sweeping revision of renoise instruments is on the backlog, but as a stopgap measure something that you guys might consider is a Track effect that exposes the parameters on the Instrument page.

So that instead of looking at other fx in the chain (like the Automation plug), it looks at the parameters that you see on the Instrument page:

-Volume
-Pan
-Pitch

-Filter
-Resonance
-Filter Type

And each Renoise Instrument Automator would only let you select one of those above. When you selected one, it would expose the following parameters:

—Envelope on/off
—Envelope amount (this would have to be a new Instrument value I guess, but it would scale the envelope up and down)
—Envelope Length (this would have to be a new Instrument value I guess, but it would scale the envelope left and right)
—Envelope Preset
—LFO Shape
—LFO On/Off
—LFO Phase
—LFO Rate

(except for Filter Type which would just be a straight selection of the Filter Type).

This would be sweet because you would then be able to automate this stuff with pattern fx and lfos.

Yes, I want something like this so bad.

But really I think a total overhaul is really necessary. I would love to use renoise for all my sampling needs, but atm it’s just not flexible enough in that way. I feel like the envelopes need some work, they’re not snappy enough for drum duties. And yes, being able to control them from the pattern editor is a must.

Now that renoise has rewire, I think it wouldn’t be a bad idea to just ignore the need for piano roll, arrangement, and what not, and focus on improving renoise’s unique elements as much as possible.

just my 2 cents

I agree!