Renoise Is Midi Unfriendly

About the specialized tracks:

Adding them to the current way of handling instruments and tracks, looks and feels like a big hack to me (or like a “I just want this somehow, so I`ve added it and implemented it without thinking about the consequences”).

What we`ve mainly done for 1.5 was cleaning up mess of older releases (at least interface wise). Dont let us now add again more complicated stuff.

So either we do it trackwise, or instrumentwise, everything else will result in one big mess, where you can do things in so much ways that you forgot how to do it if you simply want to record some midi …

Agreed, MIDI support is lacking somewhat.

In the hope that I plan to use my A3000 (10 output) sampler into a 26-channel desk, along with a couple of TG’s, and an M-Audio Delta 1010. It now makes a nicely rounded system which fits perfectly together. I’m still lugging around an Amiga running Octamed (for 12 years now), which obviously doesn’t support VST’s, or my Delta 1010. :lol:

However, the midi support, although basic, is still better than renoise’s, as you can still control everything & the sysex support (necessary for many TG’s) is actually there.

Another problem is the import of .MID files, which is indeed very hard to interpret into trackers, but not nearly as important, and I think time was wasted developing a sub-functional feature like this. I do feel that the Renoise developers should heed to the cries of the many MIDI users on these forums, and sort out the problems with music creation.

So in a way, I’m forcing myself to use Renoise, and I’m hoping there’s no major setbacks. Once 1.5 is released, I’ll get my head down and see what I can come up with. In the meantime I’m experimenting with 1.28.

Wish me luck! :walkman:

Ok. Sounds fair to me. I was just brainstormin in a way that I thought many midi enthusiast ,and others, like the way of having dedicated tracks where you can swap instruments etc on the fly. Of course you can do this in Adv. Edit also.
I was not thinking of changing/removing metadevices etc…
There is no way in hell I want to have only trackwise handeling.
I just like the way of routing midi input to devices in some situations.

Makes me think of some cool new drag&drop features for swaping instruments: What if you can drag any instrument from the list into your track, and it will then change/swap the nearest instrument? (set by default to swap ‘Instrument number in Track in whole Song’). It dont mean swap instrument in the instrument list, but swaping instrument numbers in the pattern.

I also noticed that the metadevices dont change linked instrument if you move your instrument to another slot. What about an option to lock the metadevice to its selected instrument? So when you move the instrument, the metadevice will also change.

Audio tracks can also be handeled instrumentwise. You can choose inside each instrument if its gonna be streamed, or handeled in the ram and triggered like usual instruments. Clips of these stramed audio files could be seen as vertical waves or just as some sort of vertical block in the pattern. But then you will have issues if you change song speed (or maybe not as renoise now can cache up all speed changes?)

All this leads me to another suggestion. A way of sorting your instruments a bit better. Like into userdefined tabs with a separated favorite banks for each type of instrument:

• Internal sample instruments
  • Vsti
  • Midi
  • Audio (streamed)
  • All types

and if you make huge projects you might wanna add additional banks like

• drums
  • leads
  • strings
  • recordings
  • guitar
  • vocals
    … whatever

If you have small userdefined tabs and/or a dropdown box on top of your instrument list, you just choose ‘All Types’ (shows everything as the instrument list do today) and then drag your selected instrument into one of your favorite tabs.

My instrument list is already a big mess. And especially if Audio instruments some time in the future will come into renoise, I think you need to sort this better somehow.

I could really like the Idea that I just press ‘1’ on my numpad and I get a list af all my drum samples in the instrument list, or press ‘2’ to see all vsti’s , or press ‘3’ to see all my recorded clips etc…

anyway… just brainstorming again :rolleyes:

Pysj

Cool thing! THATS the way to go, great illustration! (Except you need a ‘dot’ for each position in the line of that curve, and each dot is connected to each other horizontally).