Renoise locks sample buffer size value in audio driver

Hi Renoisers,

I recently thought that it might be a good idea to increase the sample buffer size since I had some problems with instruments being not initialized correctly.

Let me first tell you that I’m using a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard (pretty old but always did the job). I’m using the latest driver version, which is 4 years old (v.6.0.8 of 2012) since the driver isn’t being maintained anymore.

However, it turned out that it was not possible to change the buffer size easily.

I was using a value of 256 and wanted to change it to 1024 but when I changed it in the driver’s panel Renoise would still show 256.
When clicking “Reinitialize” in Renoise, not the value shown in Renoise would be adjusted but the value in the driver changed back to the Renoise value instead (seems that somehow Renoise took over the driver as a first step on its way to world domination…)

I then tried to do a repair installation of the driver and this (at first) changed things to the normal and expected behaviour (when started, Renoise showed the value set in the driver before).
But after doing normal operations in Renoise (playing song; render; reinitialize) it was locked again (at the new value).

Any thoughts on this anyone?

I don’t plan to change the value everyday from now on so I could live with the driver reinstallation workaround, but since the behaviour is strange I don’t trust Renoise to having adopted the driver setting correctly although it showed the right value at the end (it didn’t solve my plugin initialization problems btw.).

Additional system specs: Win7 64bit, 16 gb ram, Core i7 3770K processor.

Thanks for any help, Monty