Renoise Native Monophonic Synthesiser

Well, I’m sorry if you feel like I stole anything from you or took credit for it, because I did not use any of your work as the basis for my own stuff. Your plucked string demo is interesting, too, but I think it’s quite obvious that we are using pretty different approaches. Hopefully my demo song speaks for itself.

Many other forum users have posted about similar techniques over the years, and there have been some nice examples of different sounds and fx being created in this way. It’s definitely not a new idea, and I certainly wasn’t the first to try it, but I have actually been using this RingMod technique in various different ways for quite a long time now, even combining it with a Key-Tracking Device to do some crude note-to-frequency stuff. But it wasn’t until quite recently that I added the custom LFO to precisely map the notes/frequencies and then this idea really started to take shape.

Anyway, I hope there are no hard feelings here.

Great examples and text as usual by dblue.

@Matt
If it’s any comfort I can say that I tried this technique in renoise quite some years ago :P
It’s not like the idea is new or revolutionary. It’s just basic sound synthesis in basically the same way it was done in hardware since the first synthesizer arrived. Anyone dealing with the inside of synthesizers or use a modular systems use these techniques all the time.
Actually one of the first things I did when both the ringmod and custom lfo was available in renoise was to painstakingly add all 88 freq points using the automation window to copy/paste to custom LFO. That was just “naturally” the fist thing I thought about since this is what you mainly use a keytracking device for in the hardware world (don’t know if I ever posted anything in the forums using it). The lfo is just the difference here in renoise, as it is very flexible and can be used as a scaler, part of a switch and for use of relative adjustments (offset parameter).
And, yes, presentation is what dblue does better then most people.
It’s actually dblue’s “job” to help others around here (I think!) :)

Anyway, I have quite a lot of synthesis stuff laying around too. Never really bothered to post much about it, as it quickly just look like devices gone mad for most people. But the sound is good as most vsti (especially after rendering in sinc 96khz).
I even made a ‘synth interface’ somewhere using hydras as the “control panel”. It had emulated adsr devices, PWM and velocity sensitive settings etc. It’s however not that easy for others to understand as we can not rename devices yet.
I’ll see if I can find some of them and clean them up for any one to dissect and digest.
I however like just as much to use instrument section as oscillators. You can instantly make so many weird noises (and very musically noises too!) by playing polyphonic stuff before the common filter(s) and let keytracking and velocity devices work on frequencies they originally was not suppose to be used on.
And using a midi keyboard where you adjust your playing style a little, you can easily use these techniques as a semi polyphonic synth as well.

To me this is mind blowing; digging the dubstep-y example as well!

Thx Danoise now i get it, i already broke my brain thinking about how Dblue entered values so accurate )

Thanks a billion for sharing dblue.

No, I’m Sparticus!

Wow! Does it really bother you that much?

Your 440 xrns downloaded to my computer on 28 June this year.

http://www.deaddogdisko.co.uk/Stuff/matt%20440.xrns

Matt: I’ve edited the topic title to make that clear. No one wants to steal ideas here. Everything here is a collaborative effort, isn’t it?

pfff… >_>

I really don’t like the confrontational tone of what you’re saying here “just admit it”; accusing me of knowingly and willingly stealing your work, and then somehow trying to trick everybody into thinking that I did this first. What would I even have to gain by doing that? Why would I risk my reputation here on the forums with such a stupid and pointless thing? Do you think I am that desperate for attention or for other peoples’ respect? Why would I need to steal your work when I’m perfectly capable of doing this stuff on my own? It doesn’t make any sense at all!

I based my earlier comment on your plucked string example because I had never even seen your 440.xrns example before! You can’t expect me to automatically know about some random file that you posted on the forum months ago, in a thread that I wasn’t even involved with! I do spend a lot of time on the forum, but I can’t possibly read every single post ever made. If I had known about your 440.xrns example, then I would have replied to you and said “well done, that’s a really cool example”, because it is a really cool example… but I did not steal it from you.

@Matt, now that I’ve finally been able to look at your 440.xrns example thanks to kazakore re-uploading it, I have absolutely no problem in agreeing that we both used the same basic techniques here, but what does that even prove? What am I supposed to be ‘admitting’ that I stole from you?

Are you saying that I stole the idea to use a line-in device + dc offset? People have been using this technique for a long time now. You even said yourself that you started out by playing with the ‘no instrument’ demo that is included with Renoise. (I assume you’re referring to ‘Nivi’ by Neurotix?)

Are you saying that I stole the idea to use a dc offset + ringmod as a better type of oscillator? There’s absolutely nothing new about this idea either.

Are you saying that I stole the idea to tune the ringmod to accurate note frequencies? Surely you can’t be suggesting this, because this is such a ridiculously basic musical concept to begin with. Once we’ve established that it’s possible to get sound from a ringmod, then the next logical step is how to get musically tuned sound out of it. You definitely did not invent this one.

Are you saying that I stole the idea to use an lfo with custom envelope points to produce accurate tunings/automations? I’ve been doing this for as long as it was possible to do it, and I’ve posted plenty of different examples of how to use lfos in interesting ways like this, to map lfo points to accurate automation of other parameters in a dsp chain. Many other people here have done exactly the same thing. Nothing new.

Are you saying that I stole the idea of linking a key-tracking device to the custom lfo? Really?

None of these ideas on their own are unique, and if you have even the most basic understanding of how synthesis works, then combining these ideas together is not a unique idea, either.

If you want to create sounds in Renoise using nothing but native effects, then it’s quite obvious that the foundation will usually be based on dc offset + ringmod in some way. It’s the most convenient and easy way (that I know of) to create a waveform without using samples in Renoise, and it’s just common knowledge as far as I’m concerned. There is no special setup here or totally unique ideas. It’s a very simple matter of putting a few dsp devices in the correct order, programming in the lfo points, and then it’s done. Even Pysj already responded here to say that he’s been using this technique himself for a long time. It’s not a new idea!

I can only state the facts here: I did not base anything I’ve done here on any of Matt’s work. I had never even seen his example until today, so to say that my work is “based on Matt’s idea” is therefore rather inaccurate. I’m not even sure what “Matt’s idea” means in this context, since everything here is at some point based on ideas that were already in the community.

I can’t believe how ridiculous this thread became. All because someone is being paranoid that I would even bother to waste my time doing something so stupid like steal another guy’s work.

I never even tried to claim any credit for the ideas behind this stuff, haha. I just wanted to post a cool example of what could be done. This is so silly.

Meh.

I think this is great and if someone pick up good work to make it better is a way to go step by step forward.
Matt if you have a “problem” with it you can in the future stay away share your work and keep it private.
Renoise has no feature to keep all at place and non-editable like a finished song or so.

I can guarantee you 100% that even if Matt had never actually joined the forum or posted anything at all, I still would have started this thread in exactly the same way.

shrug

Pedantics versus aspergers?

Worst thread ever.

You have to justify not really. Your assistance in this forum are fabulous and one or the other was for me very helpful. Keep it up! ;)

Stealing from one is Plagiarism, stealing from many is Research.

Thanks to anybody who has ever shared anything!!

can anyone please post a conclusive lolcat?

Ohhh wow!! Damn man… DBlue isn’t the type to do that… geeezus. Entertaining tho… defintily frustrating prolly. DBlue d00d… I appreciate it man, fun and definitly something i’m going to check out and play with when I get home, Thanks bud!!

_o0m

I have taken the liberty of adding single-cycle waveforms to the example.
Four sampled waveforms as additional source material - with a lot of additional harmonic content added.

Try to find the “sweet spot” between the sampled sound and the synthesized one (hint: ring-mod amount & sample volume)

Download here

Didn’t the demosong ‘Nivi’ by neurotix use this anyway? It’s been a demosong for a long while now.

Gonna have to try it…