Renoise Natives Compo - Round I #BREAKBEATZ *closed*

stupid simple question, what is breakbeat? :unsure:

or what is the difference between breakbeat and drum n bass as roni size, ltj bukem, ed rush and so on

The simple answer might be: the original #breakbeat (sample) would be for example around 120bpm pitched up to 160bpm for #jungle or D&B.

Not sure if these are the exact numbers, yet basically its a pitched up Breakbeat (~5 Semitones) for Drum & Bass. All still #Breaks in the end of the Day. The origin of #jungle/D&B is actually sampling bb’s on 45RPM instead of the original 33RPM, which is about 5 Semitones pitched Up.

My homie @LandofBits can surely add more in depth, than my simplified version. I would say its more in the Pitch Up than Tempo of the BPMs.

stupid simple question, what is breakbeat? :unsure:

or what is the difference between breakbeat and drum n bass as roni size, ltj bukem, ed rush and so on

Change my pitch up
Smack my bitch up
Change my pitch up
Smack my bitch up
Change my pitch up
Smack my bitch up
Change my pitch up

How about an extended deadline?

I’d love to challenge Bellows.

Maybe if you add another month…

I guess it is not very simple task for many to try to not use VSTs and still get good sound. Also restriction on license free samples only is very hard to maintain.

I might still try…I started one thing, but it turned out like some 70s kids space comic series intro theme, no punky breakbeat at all, didn’t like so left unfinished, started another…went with samples that were “native” but turned out to be copyrighted, and it got into some cheesy techno direction, good but again no breakbeat…had no time to work on with it, damn. learned a lot by at least trying though, will still keep up those projects. I might try a 3rd time for something simple, if another month on this round. Else I wait for next round/genre.

to not use VSTs

Thought it’s allowed to sample VST waveforms??

if the samples / instruments are coming from here:http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/files/ or the included ones, or the provided libraries.

…no prob here, as same as with all the other competitions in these forums.

same goes for ‘rendered’ vsts from here, or similar free ones:https://forum.renoise.com/t/recommended-freeware-vst-plugins/22645

sample packs from here or other similar places on the net:https://forum.renoise.com/t/royalty-free-sample-packs/36902

same as also these sample - sites:https://forum.renoise.com/t/free-sample-sites/13880

Thought it’s allowed to sample VST waveforms??

there is no need to procrastinate ourselves here with the sources we can use; lets just keep it simple here, we’re not compiling a commercial :walkman:

Maybe if you add another month…

I guess it is not very simple task for many to try to not use VSTs and still get good sound. Also restriction on license free samples only is very hard to maintain.

I might still try…I started one thing, but it turned out like some 70s kids space comic series intro theme, no punky breakbeat at all, didn’t like so left unfinished, started another…went with samples that were “native” but turned out to be copyrighted, and it got into some cheesy techno direction, good but again no breakbeat…had no time to work on with it, damn. learned a lot by at least trying though, will still keep up those projects. I might try a 3rd time for something simple, if another month on this round. Else I wait for next round/genre.

and yepp @danoise …we will extend this competition, so more users can participate in it. excellent idea! :ph34r:will update all the info tomorrow. :yeah:

I may try to get in on this. Literally just registered a few days back and picking up where I left off a couple years ago messing around with the demo. Good timing I guess… :badteethslayer:

@Random: Drum n Bass has a far or equally wider span of variances. If you listen to Photek, Source Direct(my all time favourite), Goldie, Roni Size and LTJ Bukem side by side they all sound texturally different, but their signatures are inimitable and you can very well discern what DnB sounds like. Just like an avid listener can accurately tell the style or type of Jazz (Dixieland, Bebop, Free Jazz, Acid Jazz, Contemporary) and their individual quirks, it goes far beyond just tempo, even if that is an overtly obvious denominator.

There are many things that go into such classifications, including period of releases, label oriented era sounds, or underground flavour trends at that time. That is one metric. Next is the arrangements, DnB favours sparser kicks and more busy snares and take lot of cues from the Amen break; the use of sub bass tones and raspy leads and smooth pads, which is one of the most easily identifiable musical component used to add texture, some amount of MC’ing
and sampling is always welcome. Most of these artists are from UK btw even though USA also has some notable acts and consistent contributors, the original UK sound is unmistakable.
Source Direct is really fantastic in their super precise and well varied version of hypnotic DnB. You will never confuse this brand of DnB with any break beat whatsoever.

BreakBeat to my ears are more like an electronic Rock music variant with Prodigy and Chemical Brothers taking a lead in developing the style to what it feels like today. Fatboy Slim is another one. These artists use synth warblings and punky sounding patches and while the arrangement can be well layered an overall air of rebellion and punk feeling comes to fore. The use of vocals as in Smack My Bitch Up is awesome in its way, though I find it very tripe after all these years. Chemical Brothers is kool though and that Block Rocking Beats vibe is digging! Though in terms of compositional merit as in musicianship by actual musicians DnB takes a good share of contributions. Adam F’s ‘Music in My Mind’ is a blazing example of what DnB 2-Step, sub bass and jazz flutes and sax and minor 11th jazz rhodes chords can do, not to mention awesome vocoder vocals. The vibe is the main thing, the feel. Source Direct’s remix of Goldie is another stellar example of what an artistic interpretation is. Pure DnB.

Currently we have Neurofunk, Breakbeat Jazz, Psy Breakbeats and other such fusions which challenge popular or traditional notions of what these genres are all about.

Even finer differences exist between similar tempo genres like Hip Hop and Trip Hop and Neo Soul.

They all use samplers and synths and drum machines and sequencers. I go with the most important differentiator of all, the feel. I let my heart do the thinking rather than my ears or some spectrum analyser BS.

To me DnB is otherworldly science fiction music for a metropolis audience. BreakBeat is funky dance music for a renegade youth oreinted crowed who wish they got into Rock. DnB makes you think and dance and chill at the same time. BreakBeat makes you mostly dance.

EDIT: Talvin Singh’s ‘Jaan’ is another DnB epic. Really evocative pads and outstanding songwriting and vocals by Pakistani singer Amar.

Nitin Sawhney’s ‘Nadia(rivers)’ is another song based DnB track, very good use of ghost notes.

Both Talvin and Nitin are accomplished musicians and they both originate from North India and live in UK. Talvin plays Tablas a dual Indian hand played drums and Nitin plays piano and keys and excellent Latin guitar and he played in Jazzanova and does outstanding jazz compositions and trip hop songs too, he is more of an allrounder.

TJ Rehmi is another DnB guy who plays Indian music as his roots. London Electricity has got an awesome sound too.

‘Anokha:Sounds of the Asian Underground’ was the first Asian oriented DnB album released in mid 90’s that defined the UK based Indian community making DnB type electronic music fused with Indian vocals.Anokha means ‘Strange or Unique’ in Hindi. It’s a well overdone forums nowadays though and Talvin’s later efforts are not too mind-blowing though very good nonetheless. Sea Breeze is another not too well known but really bumpy and melodic Indian vocal oriented DnB epic.By now one should get an idea of what musicians prefer to make versus what DJs like to produce. Both are valid nonetheless :slight_smile:

Good timing indeed & also a very good way to get more comfortable with the software, again. Welcome & have fun with this one! :guitar:

I may try to get in on this. Literally just registered a few days back and picking up where I left off a couple years ago messing around with the demo. Good timing I guess… :badteethslayer:

Change my pitch up
Smack my bitch up
Change my pitch up
Smack my bitch up
Change my pitch up
Smack my bitch up
Change my pitch up

How about an extended deadline?

I’d love to challenge Bellows.

thanks for the explanations
here In the '90s, crappy commercial pippi kirmes techno trance was often loosened up with “breakbeat”

probably good breakbeat is above all (similar to drum n bass) mainly an english affair

Trippy Video too.

Source Direct :This is a Baad

God level remix of Goldie’s track, the level of Ominous is next level crazy for sure…

Just to get back on track & to motivate the people, who really want to participate here (31.03.18)

Is the deadline still the 10th? I may just wait until next round, just started slicing/layering some breaks last night.

All good, we just extended it to the 31.03.2018…so you & the others are still having about 3 weeks now. :walkman:

Is the deadline still the 10th? I may just wait until next round, just started slicing/layering some breaks last night.

Yo dudes, here’s my entry:

https://putzpie.bandcamp.com/track/elevator-sex

XRNS file:

https://forum.renoise.com/index.php/files/file/673-elevator-sex/

Title: Elevator Sex

Genre: Chiptune/Vidyagame.

Description: 100% renoise smile.png

I’m already thinking about the genre, since i’m so great with that kind of stuff and i will obviously win as usual. :smiley:

No entries yet?

Guess i’ll have to start it off then, here’s my entry:

Stream Spook It Up! by TheBellows | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

XRNS:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/lq2s53v5s6tisyo/Spook%20It%20Up%21.xrns

MP3:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/uil7dndp217re13/Spook%20It%20Up%21.mp3

It turned out pretty weird, but there is some breakbeat like stuff in there, i hope it qualifies as a breakbeat. :slight_smile:

This Vorpal Neuro Hack kills my CPU completely on my ThinkPad Laptop. Renoise even stops the Audio engine. Cool track though …

This Vorpal Neuro Hack kills my CPU completely on my ThinkPad Laptop. Renoise even stops the Audio engine. Cool track though …

Hey, just curious, what’s the Vorpal Neuro Hack?

Also, love Spook it Up! It is pretty quirky and shows off some cool tricks one can do in Renoise, and that production value!

On Elevator Sex, I really like the U20s (or U30s) used on the melody bends, they’re really cool!

My Entry: Lexie Likes It (Link updated on 3-12-2018)

XRNS

More of a synthy jazz-fusion meets 90s rave breaks than a punk rock breakbeat thing.

I believe thats a nu #genre TheBellows invented for his track… :ph34r:

Hey, just curious, what’s the Vorpal Neuro Hack?

Also, love Spook it Up! It is pretty quirky and shows off some cool tricks one can do in Renoise, and that production value!

On Elevator Sex, I really like the U20s (or U30s) used on the melody bends, they’re really cool!