I’ve been struggling with this issue for a long time now and it is starting to make me nuts.
What is the problem:
As long as I’m working within Renoise, nothing is going wrong. Everything functions. But when I switch to another application, for example notepad, in windows and try to go back to Renoise, Renoise isn’t responding for about 10 to 15 seconds at least. This is also displayed in the Windows Task Manager. Don’t get me wrong, Renoise isn’t crashing. Even sound is still being played normal, no crackles, no pops. If a VSTi, sample or MIDI synth is selected, I can still play them, I just can’t see any screen updates, nor click anything, start or stop the track during this 10 to 15 second period.
This is really affecting my productivity, since I sometimes need to check something in a document and switch back to renoise. Trying to stop the track sometimes isn’t possible dua to this and that’s on occasion really annoying.
Machine and software information:
Intel Core i5-2400S
Asus P8B75-V motherboard
8GB Kingston DDR3 1333 RAM
WD 640GB Black 7200rpm/64MB cache HD
Firewire card with TI chipset
ATI Radeon HD5450
Dual screen monitor setup
Motu 828 MKII firewire sound interface
(set to ASIO 96 samples / 44.1kHz)
2 x Motu Midi Express 128 midi interface
1 x ESI M8U midi interface
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Renoise 2.8.1 64bit
a mix of 32bit and 64bit VSTfx & VSTi plugins
What I already tried :
- lowered the graphic/theme settings in Windows
- disabled dynamic CPU speed tools, in BIOS and Software (now running fixed at 2.5GHz)
- disabled Windows 7 UAC
- updated motherboard BIOS
- installed latest drivers
- disabled VST’s in renoise
- tried to set a fixed framerate in renoise
- tried the alternative gfx update thing
- tried to play with the ASIO latency
- disabled antivirus
- tried setting renoise priority to Realtime
- reinstalled renoise
Nothing changes the situation slightly. All other applications behave perfectly, switching immediately, but Renoise is driving me nuts and I need to get some productions done. As you can see I already tried a lot of things. I didn’t had the time to reinstall the complete machine yet, nor did I had any issue in the past. However the old machine was running Windows XP 32bit, so I can’t really compare.
I hope you can help solve this issue, as I’m running out of ideas, but need my work to get done …
I forgot to add that even when starting a new song, with no instruments (being it samples, MIDI instruments or VST’s) loaded. No song data, just a blank renoise song, the same switching issue is noticed.